“Ditto - Great hotel, great location”
Review of Hotel Casa Vertiz

Hotel Casa Vertiz
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Tucson, Arizona
“Ditto - Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I LOVED this hotel!!! It was the best possible location - about 3 blocks from the Zocalo, 1/2 block to the Santo Domingo Church and Ethnobotanic Garden, yet was still quiet. It had one of the best restaurants in town for breakfast and lunch, AND the whole staff of the Hotel Casa Vertiz was friendly and accomodating. I would (and am) absolutely recommending this place to everyone I know. We stayed over Christmas (high season) and it was around $85/night, and well worth it. Breakfast and lunch for 2 including tip came out to around $12. They roast their own coffee, it was excellent!! Check out the pictures of the food and the view. If you're a plant lover, be sure and check out the Ethnobotanic Garden, only 1/2 block north on Reforma.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York, NY
Reviewed 18 August 2009

When my husband and I decided to marry in Oaxaca we had to find a hotel big enough and affordable to house our immediate family. We chose Casa Vertiz after touring the place and we were happy with our decision.

Everyone enjoyed the openness of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. The rooms are nice and quaint. Beds are a little firm but I was able to sleep. The AC was good. The bathrooms are beautiful! The hotel was able to provide pack & plays for those who brought babies. Even when the hotel ran out of them, they were able to get a couple for our guests at no extra charge. The food was delicious. I highly recommend the coffee! The only small issue I had was with the bathroom smell. Every now and then you could smell sulfate from the pipes but this also happened at another 5 star hotel I stayed at in Oaxaca for my wedding night so I don’t blame the hotel, I blame the sewage system. The hotel staff was quick to provide me with messages left at the desk for me or get us taxis. The hotel is centrally located around the corner from Santo Domingo and walking distance from El Zocalo. I recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 July 2008

This is going to be difficult because I did like the people running the hotel and they certainly tried. However, TripAdvisor only has substance if we are all completely honest and attempt to be as objective as possible.

The Hotel Casa Vertiz is in an excellent location, several blocks north of the Zocolo. This provides a quiet street with several excellent restaurants nearby. The Casa Vertiz has the Oaxacan charm that almost all the hotels have with an open air courtyard and Iberian colonial design and architecture. However, this is nothing really special since almost all the hotels and B&Bs have this same ambiance. In fact, there are several hotels that are "fresher" and more comfortable and modern. The staff tries very hard and yet no one speaks English and communication is rather difficult unless you speak Spanish well.

The room was on the small side, but was fine and there was an attempt at design, but truly nothing special. The bed, unfortunately, was harder then a stale piece of bread and my back felt like it was lying on a piece of concrete. I must add, I like a firm mattress, but this took firm to a dimension beyond my comprehension. The air-conditioner worked about 20% of the time and seemed to be invaded by aliens as the fan would go on and off just enough to keep us awake at night.

The bathroom was a comfortable size and the shower worked well with lots of hot water. There were enough towels to meet our needs. Storage was good although the closet was not long enough to accommodate a dress or pants.

Little things that went wrong or did not work became annoying enough that I regretted my choice of the Hotel Vertiz. As soon as we arrived the phones did not work in the hotel. Thus, I could not contact any of the guides I planned to use during my stay. No calls could go in or out of the hotel. I was constantly utilizing email from a nearby Internet Cafe for communication. A safe was provided, but there were no instructions and we were never able to figure it out. The air-conditioning malfunction and the hardness of the bed made sleep almost impossible.

On the plus side, breakfast although not included in the price, was excellent.

The Hotel Casa Vertiz has been described by several guide books as Oaxaca's best small hotel and as a hidden discovery. This is certainly hyperbole and you can do better for the same price.

• Liked — The location was excellent
  • Disliked — It simply was not comfortable
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Philip G
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 April 2008

My husband and I spent a total of four nights at Casa Vertiz and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Oaxaca. It had a charming courtyard and all the staff were incredibly gracious and helpful. Although their English was limited, with a bit of Spanish on my part, we were able to get all the necessary assistance. They provided wake-up calls and recommendations for where to find necessities, arranged laundry, and directed us to a great tour guide, always in a very pleasant way. They arranged taxis for us, including a pre-determined fair price.

The hotel suited our needs perfectly. It was close to all of the great restaurants and sites in the historic town center, but was also peaceful and quiet. Santo Domingo and El Camino Real were two blocks away, the zocalo was about a ten minute walk. The bathroom had beautiful tile work and a great hot shower (unlike other places in Mexico we have stayed). The price (about $75/night) made this an excellent value for what we received. Once we arrived we looked at some other hotels I'd read about and I was so happy with our choice of Casa Vertiz.

A travel agency is located in the front of the hotel and was also quite useful for arranging day trips. The breakfast at the restaurant, while not included, was delicious and convenient. Also, it was a great place to have a drink in the evening on the patio.

I highly recommend this to anyone needing a good base for exploring the city. We hope to return soon!

• Liked — Great location, comfortable rooms and friendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CateM3
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We stayed at the Casa Vertiz Hotel for 2 days in February 2008 and would recommend it strongly. It is well located, being only a block or two from the wonderful Santa Domingo church and about 5 blocks north of the Zocalo. The two story residential building is set back from the street, has rooms around an inner courtyard, and is quiet. On the street side, there is a very attractive courtyard restaurant patio that the locals seem to frequent- we heard only Spanish spoken during the two mornings we had breakfast. We don’t speak Spanish ourselves and it can be a challenge finding staff (both at the desk and in the restaurant) who understand English but there was always some staff person on hand who could help out. The room rate, on a walk-in basis, was only about $85 per night. The breakfast was not included in our room rate but is inexpensive and good. We didn’t have lunch or dinner at the Vertiz (and unlike breakfast not many people did), but a good restaurant, La Olla, is next door and some other very good restaurants (Casa Oaxaca, Camino Real, El Che) are within two blocks.

The Casa Vertiz is a very clean facility, both in the rooms and in the public areas; the housekeeping staff seem to spend hours every day washing the tiles of the upper courtyard and stairs. The rooms are of medium size, furnished reasonably well, and are away from public areas. While the main desk can make tour arrangements for you (e.g.,to Monte Alban), they unselfishly recommended going to the very capable tour desk at the close-by Camino Real Hotel which is a higher-end, historic property worth seeing.

We ended up here because after one night we moved from the top-rated Las Mariposas due to our disappointment with the room and because we found ourselves surrounded by English speaking guests which spoiled, for us, experiencing Oaxaca. Casa Vertiz (which we found on the basis of its starred value listing in Frommers 2008 Guide) was better on both counts and more! This hotel was strongly preferred on the dimensions that matter most to us: location, building setting, room size and quality, solitude, food, and local culture.

• Liked — Location, local ambience, staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 1 November 2006

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during July 2006 (cancelled Guelaguetza and the protests). The hotel was very nice and clean. The restaurant was outside and was therefore a bit dirty. We were never sure when the coffee shop was open but the coffee was not as good as I would have expected, so it did not matter much. The rooms were nice, and it is a great, romantic hotel, just a bit costly.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
San Jose, CR
Reviewed 29 July 2006

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Hotel Casa Vertiz and feel it deserves a recommendation. Pretty setting, great location, and a nice in house restaurant. While in Oaxaca we checked out several other places listed on trip advisor and felt that for its class we could not have done better.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2006