“Clean, Convenient, and Comfortable”
Review of Hotel Maela

Hotel Maela
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed 24 March 2014

A teacher friend and I went to Oaxaca with a group of university students, who were staying across the street. We wanted something more economical and larger, and the Maela fit the bill well. We were pleased with the room. It was nothing fancy, but was large, we each got a big bed, and everything was very clean. The shower was separated from the sink area in the bathroom, so two people could be getting ready at the same time, also. There was a lovely breeze at night, even though the days were hot outside the room, and with several windows in the room, we got good air circulation. (Inside was pleasant during the day. But who stays inside when you can see Oaxaca City?) It is a fair walk into the main part of town, so is not as convenient as places by the Zocalo but much quieter and more economical. Plus, the area near the hotel is nice, too. The staff was very accommodating, as my friend got the flu and could not travel for a few hours after check-out; but they let her stay on till she could travel later in the day, without charging her more. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a big room, try the top floor. We had a huge room with two large beds, a kitchen area, a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank taybunka

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We attended a wedding in beautiful Oaxaca City and stayed at Maela Hotel. We had a nice suite (Mitla) on third floor with two beds, King and Queen size. The suite had a kitchenette but you have to ask for the kitchenware, there´s nothing in the cupboards. Bathroom size is average. The view is over Santo Domingo Cathedral´s dom. The reason to stay here was for its location (very close to all amenities ), clean, quiet, parking and price (USD$55.approx.per room, per night). I was told that only suites have air conditioning, the rest have a ceiling fan. That´s all the hotel has to offer.
Estuvimos en el hotel Maela en la suite Mitla y lo escogimos por su cercanía al centro histórico y a la Catedral de Santo Domingo. Limpio, muy accesible, tranquilo y buen precio. Como la ciudad de Oaxaca es para caminar y conocerla mejor, el que el hotel tenga estacionamiento propio ayuda mucho para dejar el auto en un parking seguro. La vista de la suite que ocupamos es hacia la cupula de Sto. Domingo.

Room Tip: Oaxa it´s pretty warm during the summer and if you can´t stand 25-30 degress C, ask for a room with...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Adeliux
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Yagul room, on the third floor. For the price, we thought the hotel provided very good service and rooms. What is most important to us is cleanliness and then shortly following, comfort of beds and noise level. The rooms are clean, the bathroom and shower in good working order. There is also an AC, if you are traveling during the hotter months. If you are used to finer hotels (like Camino Royal), you may find the rooms basic. There is no hair dryer in the bathroom or a telephone, for example. However, if you are seeking a clean room that is near the center of town, that is also moderately priced, I do think this hotel is a great value. You may have noticed that other hotel rooms charge around 90 to 100 USD per evening. We paid 715 pesos for our room (standard for two persons - what they call a 'suite).

Detractors to this hotel is that the wireless internet can be slow at times. Further, there are no bell boys or a large service staff.

For those seeking a nice, clean place to stay - that is also affordable - this is a good pick. However, for those seeking bells and whistles, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank syl2114
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days here and will be back for a couple of days in a couple of weeks. Room was good sized and well beyond our expectations. Check in, check out by Alfonso at the desk was fast and efficient. Room maintenance was great. Hotel is well located a few blocks from the Zocolo in a great neighborhood. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RexBuck
Reviewed 25 November 2011

It was during my 3rd trip to Oaxaca that I had the good fortune to stay at the Hotel Maela. The hotel typifies Mexican charm at its best: small, decorated in a traditional style, well-maintained by attentive staff, quiet, centrally located and all this for a VERY reasonable price.

Excellent choice for solo travellers, couples and small families. As mentioned, there is no elevator, so if you have mobility issues, this unfortunately may rule out staying here. There is secure parking...something not always available and certainly not at these budget prices.

One can walk everywhere and feel very secure in these neighborhoods at almost any time of the day or evening. There are many choices for eating out close by. My favourite was "La Olla" on the next street over just across from the great coffee shop also mentioned in an earlier posting.

Can't imagine staying anywere else the next time I visit!

Room Tip: In Mexico, room sizes in many if not most hotels, can vary even significantly. Always ask to see you...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SavvyTraveller001
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Hotel Maela is in a great location -- only a couple blocks from Santo Domingo and extremely close to M. Alcala the main street in the historic district. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. I had a single room with French doors and a ceiling fan that helped keep the room cool. The room was a bit small and the pillows on the bed were extremely lumpy making it difficult for me to sleep. There was a terrace near my room which had great views of the city. The wi-fi worked great! My room was quiet during the night. I paid about $40.00 a night which was a great deal for this location especially since it was near the festivities of Los Días de los Muertos.

Room Tip: If traveling alone I would inquire about the room. I saw one single room that didn't have any w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Soledad2009
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I highly recommend Hotel Maela! I stayed there for Dia de Muertos in '07, and both my friend and I had a great time there. If you book in advance you can stay for $35-$40 USD/night; if you get there during the holiday without a reservation (provided there are rooms available) it will be around $70/night. The restaurant was closed for renovation while we were there, but there's so much good food right outside the front door that it was no problem. There's an incredible coffee shop on the same street, and it's within easy walking distance of Mercado Benito Juarez and the zocalo. Rooms are clean and staff is friendly. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple