“A must eat in Oaxaca”

Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This small, charming restaurant has a lot going for it. Located only two blocks from historic Santo Domingo Church, and within easy walking distance of the Zocalo, La Olla is very popular with both foreign residents and visitors as well as with locals. La Olla is one of the more trendy eateries in the city, and our spotless kitchen produces a wide array of traditional Oaxacan, continental, and vegetarian foods. We pride ourselves in serving the best quality of products available,and most of our produce is grown locally and delivered to us by farmers during the week. Our coffee is locally roasted and the foods we serve are extremely fresh. We bake delicious apple strudel, chocolate cake, oatmeal cookies, vanilla flan, and more on our premises daily! All of our creations are cooked to order, prepared fresh starting when we receive your order. We use more fresh fruits and vegetables to create healthful and visually attractive dishes than any other restaurant in Oaxaca. Delicious sandwiches are served on home-baked whole wheat bread, and we even make the mayonnaise in our kitchen. There is a wide variety of healthy drinks available, using unusual combinations of fresh fruits and vegetables. The main meal of the day in Oaxaca is eaten in the afternoon. A real bargain at "La Olla" is the "Menu del día" or "Comida corrida", a full meal which changes daily, for only $90 pesos served from 1-4 pm. It includes a freshly-made salad, followed by a soup, a choice of two entrees, with tortillas or bread, and finishing with a dessert or espresso coffee. Many typical Oaxacan dishes are featured, and for a low price you can experience traditional cuisine at its very best. There is also a full a la carte menu featuring a wide selection of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The prices are moderate and the quality very high. La Olla is proud to display and promote artwork created by local, regional and international artists. Our gallery is open daily during restaurant hours. The art on display is available for sale, and the gallery selection is changed periodically.
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

This was one of our favorite places. Ate there three times. If you want to learn then take a class with Chef Pilar. The experience is worth the time.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We again had two wonderful meals at La Olla on our Oaxaca visit this year (9/2013). In the past two years we have tried many different dishes from their menu and never have been even slightly disappointed. Service is excellent, presentation is first rate, and prices are fair for the quality of the meals served.

An example of the fine service happened one night when we ordered the black bean soup as an appetizer. It is not listed as such, but we both love the soup and asked if we could have it as an appetizer. No problem as they brought us each a bowl and proceeded to pour us each a half portion of the wonderful soup.

They also have a small selection of artisanal beers from the Primus Brewery. I absolutely love the Tempus doble malta, an extremely robust brew with 7% alcohol content.

And we love La Olla and will continue to visit on our annual visits.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Excellent food and service, not expensive, great selection of beautiful salads, craft beers, local cuisine.

1  Thank AVENTURATRAVELCO
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My girlfriend and I went to La Olla twice during our stay in Oaxaca and both times I ordered their version of chicken soup: Consomme Xochitl. It was AMAZING. I'm a sucker for homemade soups and this one hit the spot, and the presentation was so creative! I'm thinking of doing the same thing to serve soup at home! My girlfriend had a salad with chicken and told me it was wonderful; I believe "refreshing" was the word she used to describe it. I also ordered one of their daily menus, along with the soup (big appetite) and everything was great: nicoise salad, pork chops, and outstanding coffee flan. But I can't stop raving about that soup! On our next trip we hope to participate in one of Chef Pilar's cooking classes as well; there just wasn't enough free time this trip! Definitely check out La Olla if you will be in Oaxaca; friendly staff, affordable dishes, and incredible soup.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My girlfriend and I went to La Olla while we were staying in Oaxaca for a few days. It was the BEST food we had in all of Mexico. We had been to Mexico City and went on to San Cristobal de las Casas and the Yucatan and had great meals in all these places but La Olla, and certainly Oaxaca in general, stood out.
We had piña coladas to drink, pescadillos (fish taco), quesadillas, a dish with shrimp and chapulines and tamales - one with frijoles and one with mole negro. The pescadillos, shrimp and tamales were SO GOOD. I remember thinking that I could eat the pescadillos every day of my life from then on. We are both pescatarian so we don't eat usually eat meat but wanted to try the mole seeing as we were in Oaxaca. The flavour was so delicious and complex I wished that I could try more. And the introduction to grasshoppers was very favourable. Then for dessert we had some chocolate dish which was unbelievable. Oaxacan chocolate is so delicious - have as many hot chocolates as you can while you are there.
Service was extremely attentive, polite and I can't really fault anything about the experience. I just wish they could create a restaurant in Melbourne, we have some good Mexican restaurants but nothing like this!