“Central, clean and very traditional”

Hotel Palacio de Moctezuma
Toronto, Canada
“Central, clean and very traditional”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

the style of the hotel is more like hacienda style i believe. It is large hotel with 3 floors and 2 or 3 courtyards. The room is cleaned daily, and they leave fresh bottled water and towels folded and pressed as well as bars of soap. The staff are friendly and helpful. The wireless internet is a bit inconsistent and you will need to request a password as it is a secured network. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and had great selection of hot foods and cold foods. It is perfect to have coffee for breakfast while surfing the internet. The location is about 3 blocks from the main pedestrian street. If you do not feel like heading to the central plaza, there are a few restaurants nearby. Overall I had a good experience. Although keep in mind, if you plan on having a late night out, you will have to knock on the door loudly for them to come open it.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 18 March 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel for the first time--and the last time. I hope this can serve as a warning to others.
First, my repeated reservation requests on the website were ignored. So, on the day of my arrival, I phoned was told reservations were available , gave them my name and arrive 3 hours later--no reservation. They did have rooms, fortunately--or prerhaps unfortunately.
One reason for choosing was the website says that the hotel has free wireless internet in all the hotel. Upon arrival , I learned it is only available in the central courtyard. Upons seeing some rooms surrounding the courtyard, I asked if these rooms wouldnt receive the signal. That seemed to baffle the clerk but she gave me one of the rooms--and it had a good signal. (I will add that it required a password which she did not offer until I returned and asked her!)
Now it gets worse. On the third evening, I arrived back at my hotel to find the door sligthly opened. Open entering, I saw a young man putting my laptop in its case--he shoved me aside and ran from the room . I ran out of the room shouting and two employees chased him and caught him about two blocks from the hotel. The police took me there to identify him. (he had taken my cell phone but it was not found). I then spent two hours at the San Cristobal police station waiting for his family to arrive. After much discusssion, they offered me 500 pesos which the police chief advised me to take--saying it was all they had.
The interesting thing is that I then found out the robber gained access to my room by telling the front desk he was staying with me! They then let him into my room--in spite of the fact that I was registered as a single under only my name. Little details like this seem to escape this bungling staff. After all was said and done, I was not offered an apology or any money to cover the rest of my phone loss. They seemed annoyed that I inconvienced them by being robbed--when they were totally to blame! (it couldnt be denied , they had it all on video)
The next day, I arrived by at the hotel to find the main entrance locked. After much pounding, someone came to let me in--and I could see all the staff was busy eating lunch. I had annoyed them again!
I will add, if the staff could be trusted, the hotel would be an excellent value. The rooms are large and well furnished--although the bathroom had a bad smell with mold on the shower tile. (The hotel website also says electric heaters--but they turn out to be a 75 peso per day option) But all in all, it could be a very nice , wll located option in San Cristobal. Not sure how they get any business with all the excellent hotels nearby--but they seem not really to care.
I should mention, the manager and wife were involved in the robbery incident. She let him into my room--and the manager chased him after the robbery. But , after that, no concern.
Avoid this place--the website looks nice but looks can be deceiving.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo