“Everything is good here!”
Review of El Caldero

El Caldero
Price range: US$3 - US$5
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours
Reviewed 31 January 2013

El Caldero has tasty soups and a comfortable atmosphere. It is one of my favorite restaurants in San Cristobal.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I had a terrible cold and heard this place had great soup, which is really all I wanted in life, at that point in time. I happened to get the last table available and anxiously awaited my soup, as I watched the waiter deliver heaping, steaming bowls to other customers.

When mine arrived and was placed in front of me, it was like a tiny piece of heaven floated down and landed on the table. It was amazing! Awesome chicken soup, good for the soul and everything else that ails you.

I went back numerous times during my week's stay in San Cris!

Reviewed 10 November 2012

They offer a great variety of Mexican dishes similar to a soup, one soup is enough for lunch or supper, we recommend the Caldo Tlalpeño, Pozole and Chiken soup with rice, they all are served with a big proportion of chicken and vegetables, they also give you chips with fried beans. The price prices are very cheap.

The restaurant is very well located in the downtown area.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have been visiting El Caldero for many years. Its a must , once or twice on every visit to San Cristobal. My only problem here is deciding which soup because I like them all here. Always fresh, high quality ingredients and an excellent , filling meal for about 50 pesos. And the beans and chips and other small dishes served before the soup are also excellent. I am impressed that for many years I have seen the same senora in the kitchen. I hope she stays---she knows how to prepare soup.
For a small place, I find their website to be excellent http://www.elcaldero.com.mx/ .

1  Thank RobertSDF
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Great place to sample some traditional local cuisine serving a wide variety of rustic soups with various accompaniments. Very good value, give it a try.