“one of the best - but”

Hotel Casa Mexicana
Ra'anana, Israel
“one of the best - but”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

beautiful' spanish style hotel. rooms nice but a little spartans. a free internet compensate for this. we stayed for 2 nights. on one morning we received an elegant breakfast (combination of buffet and service).
but!!
1.you expect that in such a hotel somebody will speak English. there was non.
2. we needed to some laundry to be done. the prices were like they dont have enoughh water and soap to do it.

Room Tip: if u have more than one day - do your own laundry.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chana y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed in Hotel Mexica for days. The arrival started a bit dogy as the rooms where not yet cleaned although it was already 3 in the afternoon. The hotel has a car park which is aprrox a block away but you will need help from the staff to find it. The inside feels friendly and cosy. The rooms however face inward and there is only a smallish court. The rooms have windows which facewindows of other rooms across the hallway.
The staff is friendly but some of them don't understand english very well.
The locationhowever makes up for a lot. It is very near to all the mayor squaresand streets. So all in all good, but nog great, place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank FrankDijkstra
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I just stayed at the Casa Mexicana and found it just right. I can explain the "voucher" situation. It is merely a different use of the word. Most hotels would call it "open tab." The Casa will run a slip with your credit card. You sign for meals, drinks, whatever. At the end of your stay, they present you with a full list of what you've signed for (whatever went on your "voucher") so you can review and approve. They will tear up the credit card slip they ran when you arrived and you then pay for whatever you've charged.
Hope this is helpful!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank joanne S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The good things about this hotel are its central location, it is a pretty hotel and the price point is good. However, the recent criticisms of other reviewers are sound. They have an odd system where they give you a voucher for the restaurant if breakfast or other meals are included - though without explaining what it is - and woe-betide you if you forget your voucher. The waiting staff are unfriendly and perfunctory in their service. The front desk staff were hardly smiley and welcoming either. The rooms are nice at first glance but you soon spot that the bathroom is battered and that the woodwork could do with some varnish. It was ok for one night but we spent the last four nights of our trip elsewhere in San Cristobal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BAF_52
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Beautiful hotel. Beautiful rooms. In the middle of the city center.
However the staff members forgot that there were also guests in the hotel rooms.
At 6.30 in the morning they start using the printer (matrix from the early days with a snirping high sound). The whole hotel / restaurant is a open and spacious place.. This is great for the visual aspect.. But not for the noise that bounces of the walls. They also have water pipes on the walls next to your door. They use it for getting water for the plants or to clean. So early in the morning and in the evering (23.00 hours) they come with the buckets and swing open the tap... The splashing water in an empty bucket makes a very loud noise...So sleeping hours are from 23.30 to 6.30! Hopefully they read this review and share this with the staff, because wen I tried to tell this they did not understand.
The hotel itself is a very nice place to be...it realy is!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Idaho Falls
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The hotel is very beautiful because of the inner court (banana trees, other tropical plants,sitting arrangements and pleasant decor). The room we had is upstairs down a narrow hall. The rooms wrap completely around the inner court with only one way in or out which makes for a dangerous fire escape hazard. During a fire, the only way out would be to crawl through one of the small head-high windows onto the inner court cover and escape down the maintenance access shaft near the front of the hotel. The rooms are basic, both our beds were firm (like all Mexican beds we experienced). The best meal, at the on-site restaurant, is breakfast, prices were consistent with comparable offerings, but the portions were smaller, service very poor. My wife and I have enjoyed authentic Mexican food for many years, it is usually what we eat when dining out or enjoying a lovely evening at home. I have had many Mexican friends since junior-high and many co-workers over the years, I know and love the Mexican culture. The head waiter really turned me off after the second meal demanding that I return to my room and bring money to pay the tab. The other waiters had insisted that our first meal expenditure be added to the room tab. I stand 6'4" and I'm naturally a gentle man, I speak Spanish well and can handle myself physically with men twice his size. He didn't appear or smell drunk but quickly got in my face and demanded payment. I explained that I had left everything in my room not thinking I need it. He demanded my hotel issued meal card which I had not received when I checked in, and refused to back down even after seeing my hotel room key. The only thing I can guess is that he thought I had walked in from the street (not a hotel client) and was trying to get a free meal. The restaurant is only thirty-feet from the front counter where this took place, he could easily have maintained decent composure and quickly cleared this unfortunate incident up. If the food service had not been the worst I have ever had in 40-plus years, and if the hotel front desk man which had undoubtedly heard this exchange had done something to clear it up, maybe I would feel different. There was a tour group in the hotel but the guide knew something we didn't so the restaurant was empty, this is usually a very good sign when even the locals stay away. The hotel is close (NW a few blocks) to cathedral Santo Domingo (strong Spain influence/ magnificent 16th century building). The cathedral is surrounded by the typical market (one side of the building is hand-made products, the other side is the raw food vendors. The majority of the town sites are south down Insurgentes street starting about 3-blocks away. Very good hotels are plentiful and line both sides of the street from the City Center (Zocalo) almost down to the first-class bus terminal.
I would strongly suggest the Plaza Magnolia hotel which I would give six out of five stars. I checked out of Casa Mexicana after one night, and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of Plaza Magnolia. Every one from the Manager to the excellent waiters to the front desk folks are the most cordial, pleasant people (the REAL Mexico/ typical San Cristobal). The food was plentiful, excellent quality and served promptly. The waiters keep the tortillas coming, and perform flawlessly. I will stay there next time and will tell all my friends to do the same. At the conclusion of this trip we flew into LAX and stayed at a five-star American hotel. Marriot could learn a lot about real 5-star hospitality from Plaza Magnolia.

Room Tip: Don't check in. Do visit the hotel, take pretty pictures, return to a better hotel that will ear...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 154KellyH
Corsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife & I spent three nights here during March. Our room was in the annex across the street. It was also on the ground floor under the stairs. As a consequence it was a very dark room. It was also very basic. Fortunately, we didn't spend too much time in the hotel.
Breakfast wasn't included but good, cheap Mexican breakfasts were readily available close by.

The staff were not particularly friendly. Would probably have been better off in a B&B.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple