“I enjoyed my stay”

Hotel Casa Mexicana
Reviewed 5 April 2014

It was the first nice hotel in which we stayed in Mexico during our group tour. We were lucky as we got the rooms in the part of the hotel that is separated from the main building by the road. When you pass the gate you see lovely small garden with 2 level building around the patio. There are sofas here and there outside so you can sit down and enjoy the sunshine and calm. WiFi will work perfectly not only in you room but also outside. The rooms in this section of the hotel are big and have big windows. There are 2 big beds in the room. They seem to be recently refurbished, only bathroom seem to be old. Room has a lot of space therefore I was surprised that there were not more furniture; a real waredrobe with safe deposit box would be very much welcome. The restaurant of the hotel was also the best one I experience during my 2 week stay in Mexico. The cuisine is rather international, breakfast provide a lot of choice and is really good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travellersfromswitzerland

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel in March, along with a small group with Superior Tours, ( I think we were 10 people) which operates out of Puerto Vallarta. I loved the hotel, its friendly, helpful staff, central location, spacious airy rooms, lovely decor, small garden, and fantastic breakfasts. We stayed in its annex across the street which was very quiet at night. In the evenings it was chilly, but the heater warmed the room within minutes. Restaurants were close by as were Oxos, pharmacies, and grocery stores. When I return to San Cristobal, I will stay at this hotel!!!!! It had a Mexican flavour and was extremely comfortable...everything I want when staying in Mexico!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Annex...I saw from a previous review that it was noisy in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bew48
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I think this hotel is really set up for group tours rather than individual guests. The hotel staff is mostly friendly (with some noticeable exceptions), but doesn't really function in English, which is fine for groups and we fortunately can function in Spanish, but others struggled with the basics. With a tour guide there is no need to worry since they should be managing any issues. The rooms are not at all sound insulated, so anyone coming or going (like a tour group in the middle of the night) will sound like they are in the room with you. It was very difficult to get a full night's sleep since the tour groups tended to come in after long evenings out and seemed to have difficulty finding their rooms (slamming and knocking on doors at around 3 AM, my iphone recorded 86 decibels as this was going on) For breakfast, the tour groups have assigned tables, in our case leaving no other tables in the restaurant at which to eat ours, though we did end up eating in the courtyard. (The incredibly sweet woman who manages to run the breakfast system despite the challenges does make a difference) On the positive side, the rooms were a very nice size and the beds very comfortable, and the breakfast food was tasty. We didn't eat dinner there after a couple of grumpy employee interactions, but there are plenty of restaurants around. The hotel is also very conveniently located, quite close to the pedestrian street. The hotel also has more rooms in a building across the street which might be quieter.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wineandtravellover
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My mother and I checked in at the hotel after a long trip from Puebla, plains, trains and automobiles literally! The first impression of the hotel was good overall, the hotel however is divided like in two big houses, one has the lobby, restaurant, front desk and rooms and in the second house more rooms. We were put in the rooms only house type.

Beds were superb, if you required nice mattress because bad back issues this is the place to stay, I rested my back very well every night after all the walking that has to be done in san Cristobal. However noise levels in the hotel are not good specially if you are staying over the weekend.

Can't comment anything regarding the hotel services, because of the location of the room separated from the main part of the hotel you will not interact with the personnel, you are there doing your business but isolated, this could be good or bad, however you feel about interacting with your host.

San Cristobal in the other hand is absolutely a breath taking village, if you enjoy, good and healthy food, relax and forget about the world then this is your place to be, you can really relax here. One bad thing though is to witness children as young as 4 selling things on the streets, is just bad and heart breaking.

Lastly, you only need a good bed to sleep when you are in San Cristobal, no need for more as all your activities, tours and meals will be done in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mexicolindo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I loved this little small hotel. I had a room on the top level across the street from the main reception and main restaurant for breakfast and love it. It had the most comfortable bed with extra blankets if needed and portable heater. Amenities such as shampoo, water were adequate. Most hotels I have stayed in Mexico offered you at least two or even four bottles of water but this one only had one.
I loved the location and the almost rustic feel. But it was superbly maintained and the reception main area has a lovely "garden/jungle" area you can sit in and enjoy.
One down side is that it does bit have an in room safety box but there are ones available at reception.

Would stay here again! Loved it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank groovychickMelbourne
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in Casa Mexicana for a couple of nights while we visited wonderful San Cristobal de las Casas and surroundings.
The hotel could not be in a better location: right in the historical centre, yet far enough from the main square and commercial streets so that one could have a bit of silence.
It is rather basic, no super luxury here, but the bed is amazing and service is very good and pleasant.

Room Tip: Please make sure to ask for a room NOT close to the stairs. The doors and windows are not sound proo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spanishwanderer
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Out of all the hotels that I stayed in in Mexico, the most time I felt like I was in Mexico is when I visited San Cristobal de las Casas and stayed at this hotel. The hotel is quite small and so are its rooms but the atmosphere at this hotel makes up for everything. It felt like we were literally staying in a house. Although staff did not speak English, it was easy to get them to understand us. Hotel is right in the old town centre so you can get the best of this traditional town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends