“Glad to have found this place!”
Review of Hotel Don Quijote

Hotel Don Quijote
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Glad to have found this place!”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Three of us arrived early in the morning, before check-in time, but the hosts were completely gracious and gave us rooms right away. This is not what you'd call a luxury hotel by any means however, for the prices they were charging, I felt it was a real bargain. The rooms are pleasantly furnished, clean, quiet, with good mattresses and lots of hot water. And it's ideally located around the corner from many great restaurants and shops. If I was to go back to San Cristobal I wouldn't think twice about going to this hotel again. I was very pleased and satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank blueflame7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I have been staying at the Don Quijote for years and it has become my home away from home in San Cristobal. One initial disappointment this time---the senora who has always greeted me so warmly was on vacation.
The hotel continues to amaze me with the value for the price charged and unbeatable, central location. The rooms are spotless and always well maintained. The rooms can be very cool but this is always the case in San Cristobal unless you stay in an expensive hotel with heaters. But plenty of warm blankets! Mold can be a problem in San Cristobals climate but I have never seen a hint of it here. The bathroom is all white tile and all is well maintained and immaculate. Little touches which are rare in a Mexican budget hotel such as a bathmat, multiple soft white bath and hand towels, shampoo, conditioner, quality soap and something really rare, a stopper for the sink. The hot water can be slow in coming but if will arrive and when it does , always very hot.
Several things worth noting on room location. I choose a room near the front desk and the front of the hotel because I do not receive cellular signal in the interior rooms. The hotel now has free WIFI in all areas and I have found the signal to be strong. One drawback to rooms near the front desk can be the small lobby sitting area nearby which can be a place for loud guest conversations but this only occured on one visit. Also, for the first time, some noise from live music at a nearby restaurant but I was assured it stopped at 11PM---and it did.
The front desk staff, in addition to the previously mentioned senora, is always polite and responds quickly to any request. Little or no english is spoken but thats the norm in small area hotels. Free , delicious Chiapas coffee, is available in the morning. I can always smell it brewing when I wake up in the morning.
And a word about security. I often read about visitors to Mexico worried about the safety for their laptops, I Pods, cameras, etc. I set up my laptop on the desk when I arrive and there it stays until I leave. I never have a worry about security or theft here.
I will return soon. I sometimes think of trying one of the other hotels available nearby but quickly forget the idea and return to the Don Quijote.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RobertSDF
Tulum, Mexico
Reviewed 25 August 2012

It started well. Staff were very accommodating when we had to change our plans and rescheduled our stay with penalising us. The guy on reception (the one who wears the scarf if you're reading management) is very friendly and helpful and after seeing a couple of rooms downstairs which looked a bit dark and depressing we were able to chose a room upstairs. Decent sized room was fine. Bathroom smelled strongly of damp and had mould on ceiling. By the third day the cold and damp in our room was penetrating our bones (this in August) and I had begun dreading returning to the hotel. The other disappointing notes were we were woken by building works in the hotel on two consecutive mornings and offered no apology and when we had to extend our stay we were initially charged 380 pesos only to be told later the woman on reception had made a mistake a we had to pay the advertised rate of 450. That's still not bad value but grates when you suspect others are being charged a leser rate.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GavinMex
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I recently returned from the latest of many visits to this hotel and I am never disappointed. Every visit seems better than the last. It is really an amazing value for a budget hotel and the location is superb.
One of the best things about the hotel, is the staff. Many budget hotels have unfriendly, uncaring staff but never the case here. I am always warmly greeted like family by the manager when I arrive in the mornings. And, when she is away, the warm friendly sevice continues with the front desk staff. I am always handed my room key without asking and receive a warm smile and friendly greeting.
The rooms and housekeeping are also amazing. Many budget hotels give me one , thin towel. This hotel has a bathroom stocked with large, plush bath towels, hand towels, a bath mat and shower mat. The housekeeping is immaculate. The beds are comfortable with good quality bedding. And something new this visit, the maid left towel art on the bed each day. Maybe expected at a hotel at 3 times the price but not here.
The hotel now has a good WIFI signal in all rooms. One word of warning about rooms location, the rooms near the front desk can be noisy when the hotel is full. But still, these are my favorite rooms.
Dont let the plain facade and simple sign fool you. Inside is a gem of a hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank RobertSDF
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2011

The positives at this hotel far outweighed the negatives, but my first impression of the Don Quijote wasn't so great. We had made reservations via email because we were arriving late at night (after 11 pm). The staff were friendly and gracious when we arrived (and remained so throughout our 9 day stay) and showed us to a room on the 2nd floor. First problem, the room was extremely unpleasantly musty because the bathroom was black with mildew. San Cristobal is very damp so some mildew is unavoidable- I understand this- and I visit Mexico at least twice a year and always stay in budget accommodation, so my standards are not super high. But I don't mean the bathroom had just a little mildew- the ceiling was completely black, as was the grout between the floor tiles. Yikes. It was almost hard to breathe due to the mustiness of the air. Well, it was late and we were tired from traveling all day, so we just went to bed and thought we'd deal with it in the morning.

Morning came and we realized that there were bed bugs in one of the two beds in the room- there were telltale blood spots on the sheets, and I managed to find and kill one of the critters as evidence to show the management. I went to the front desk and explained the problem and asked to be given a new room. They were extremely nice and accommodating, and moved us to a room on the 1st floor. It looked great- there was minimal mildew in the bathroom, so it was much more pleasant. We had plans in the morning, so we basically dumped our suitcases and left without spending any time in the room. When we came back in the afternoon, we realized that the toilet did not work (we hadn't checked it before we left)- it had no water in it. So, I went to the front desk once again and explained the problem, and they moved us to yet another room on the 1st floor.

After being moved to our 3rd room, we had no problems, and we stayed in the hotel the full 9 days we had planned. Everything else about our stay was wonderful. The staff was without exception friendly and helpful; housekeeping was attentive (always refilling soap, toilet paper, etc) and the room was always kept tidy; the beds were comfortable and warm- San Cristobal gets chilly at night, so this is important; there was always plenty of hot water. The location of the hotel cannot be beat- it's literally steps from the pedestrian andador, and you can walk to the San Cristobal zocalo within minutes. And, after staying 9 nights, my credit card was charged something in the neighborhood of $240- an incredible bargain.

I know the circumstances I have described probably sound really awful and might scare off some potential guests, but I wanted to be honest. I have a feeling that what happened in my case was just bad luck. I don't have the overall impression that the hotel is poorly maintained- quite the contrary. I would recommend this hotel with the caveat that you have a close look at the room first, just to make sure it isn't excessively mildewy and the toilet works-- that kind of thing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank special_j25
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Hello,
We've stayed in the hotel for 4 nights and booked the hotel via bestday website and payed 35$ a night.
The place is in a gerat location on one of the crossing streets of real de gaudlpe which is the main street in tourist area.
The hotel is very clean and the rooms are well maintained and the staff is very nice .
Nextto the hotel there is a great bar on the corner and a great pizza place called El Punto
a great italian reastaurant.
A greay value for the money...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elite_EL_MO
Houston
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I went with my aunt to the state of Chiapas, Mexico. This hotel is great because is just around one of the andadores that connect the main square. Reception was great, no problem getting a room. Free coffee every morning. I have to say coffee from Chiapas rivals Kona or Blue Mountain from Jamaica. The hotel is like an old house. Rooms are nice no luxury here with high ceilings. The day I was leaving receptionist call a taxi for me, Mexico was playing against Southafrica on the world cup and could not get one. She did, and I visited the church in San Juan Chamula. She told him to wait for me and bring me back to the hotel. Safe location. Friendly staff and very knowledgeable.

• Stayed June 2010