“Colonial charm - but cold”

Hotel Rincon del Arco
Kingston upon Thames
“Colonial charm - but cold”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The only time I was warm i the hotel was when I was practically toasting myself by the fire in the restaurant, otherwise I spent most of my time there swaddled in as many layers as I had brought. Knowing that nights are pretty cool in San Cristobal I'm surprised that the hotel had not more provision for heating throughout. Nevertheless, nicely set out with lovely gardens and free internet access. A bit of a walk into the centre of town but you can always shop and have coffee en route! Good place to get laundry done cheaply although some of our group complained of shrunken tops and stains, mine was perfectly fine!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
Corona, Ca.
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We were in San Cristobal de las Casas for the final nights of our trip, we spent New years eve there. Upon arriving at Rincon del Arco, I immediately liked this place. It has a quirky charm to it,old mixed with new. Our room was very clean, pretty small it had a fireplace which I totally loved. My husband did not like the room so at the reception they graciously showed us another room. Upstairs rooms have a great view from the balcony the rooms are larger, but we ended up sticking with our room downstairs since it was intimate and warm . It is perhaps a 5 minute walk ( brisk pace) to the main Zocalo, I did not get creepy feeling at all like the "ghost house" reviewer said. it is tucked in a residential area so I had the feeling of belonging if even for a few days. The streets are clean and sure there is graffiti on some of the walls but if you look closely it is all political.The parking structure is enclosed so if it was a bad neighborhood it would protect your car rental from vandalism I never felt unsafe walking to the Zocalo. TIP: If you like the bedding or upholstory in the hotel, they make it all on-site. You can ask to see where they make it and possibly purchase. They had some amazing patterns but did not have any available for sale when I was there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank billcat99
Bruges
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The biggest attraction of this hotel is its great colonial looks: arches, pillars, patios and a nice garden. Located in a quiet area not too far away from the city centre. The restaurant food was pretty nice too, although breakfast was a bit on the mediocre side.
Not all rooms have windows so some of them can look dark and unattractive.
The biggest downside for me was the lack of heating my room, as It can get pretty cold in San Cristobal. I was cold during most of the night and especially after showering.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Steffrombruges
The world
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The location is a little out of the center. This means it is nice and quiet at night, but is a little bit further to walk to the Zocalo and restaurants etc. It's about 6 blocks away. I'm a female traveler, traveling alone and I didn't feel unsafe walking this when it was dark.

My room was spacious and clean. It had tile floors, a huge bed and warm water. What more can I ask for? Oh yes, and wireless internet is available.

The hotel has a garden and courtyard and is built in colonial style with lots of bright colors. A very charming place.

• Liked — Building style and large room
  • Disliked — A bit far from center
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Mier1980
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 30 August 2006

I was meant to stay at this hotel when travelling to Chiapas with a group of friends, but after seeing the rooms we ran away.
The property is quite a long way from the center, therefore it is very isolated at night and not in a very safe looking neighborhood. The rooms looked like something out of a vampire movie. They were dark and dusty with old patched up grey carpeting on the floors.
The bathrooms were full of mold and looked like they hadn't been used in decades.
The place was empty although every other hotel in San cristobal seemed to be full....is it any wonder?

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Reviewed 26 June 2006

I was really very pleased with the hotel Rincon del Arco is San Cristobal de las Casas. The staff were very friendly and courteous, and always helpful. I loved all the colonial style arches and pillars, the patio, the lovely blooming trees and plants, the huge striped agaves in the garden below and the view of the city from our room. There is a restaurant attached and I love going downstairs to get a breakfast of huevos motulenos or or chilaquiles with fresh jugo de papaya each morning before we journeyed out into the town. They also had the best mole I found in Chiapas.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank Alan G
Chicago
Reviewed 10 April 2006

We switched to this hotel when we were disappointed with another in San Cristobal (the other one was Hacienda de DOn Juan)and we really liked Rincon. The location is great, because you can walk to the zocalo, but you are not in the thick of it, so it is very, very quiet and peaceful. (The zocalo area is charming, but rather noisy.) The property is quite large and all rooms are off a lovely manicured garden. (They will show you a number of rooms, so you can find the one you really like. Don't be afraid to ask.) The staff is very professional and friendly. Rooms are clean and comfortable. It was so inexpensive that we decided to treat ourselves to the largest suite for only 75.00 a night. I would recommend it, if you can afford it. We had good breakfasts here every morning, but didn't try the dinners. Another plus: It is right around the corner from Na Balom, which you have to see.

• Stayed March 2006