“Just say NO!”

Hotel Posada El Paraiso
New York
“Just say NO!”
Reviewed 24 January 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here over New Years and were given a room that was on the groundfloor, essentially in the lobby of the hotel. While I can't speak to the exterior courtyard rooms, which may be lovely, our room was awful. It reminded us both of a dorm room, with barely enough room for a double bed. There was no way we could both have our suitcases open, and forget about 2 people "hanging out" in the room at the same time. And since the only thing separating us from the front desk and our room was a thin door and a curtain, it was extremely noisy. We were supposed to have dinner in the restaurant, but the front desk bungled our reservations so the food may be good, but we wouldn't know...I guess you could say the room was clean, though. Stay at Casa Felipe Flores instead if you want to have a great experience. El Paraiso was horrible.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank knish2006

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
netherlands
Reviewed 16 January 2006

In december we stayed a few nights in San Cristobal de las Casas in hotel possado el paraiso. The hotel is located in the centre but in a quiet street. The hotel has 14 rooms. Some of them are located on the groundfloor and more or less in the lobby. We had one of these rooms. It was a very small room with a small double bed. It was hard to pass each other in the room. It was impossible to open a suitcase except when you put it on the bed. The room was also very noisy; early in the morning we could hear people checking out. Worse; in the bathroom you could easily hear all the sound of the neighbours!
The hotel has a good restaurant.
We paid 55 euros per night ( breakfast not included)
We loved san Cristobal but if we decide to go there once again we would choose another hotel ( there are serveral in the centre)

1 Thank ernavandeven
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 November 2005

Very nice hotel in the center of town. Nice rooms with high ceilings. Tasteful garden, friendly staff. Good restaurant. A maid saved us from a big spider! Enough blankets for a cold night. Very tasteful bathroom.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 9 August 2005

We stayed for two nights at this hotel, based on the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and although it was okay, we would definately not rave about it.

The courtyard area is stunning, really pretty with a comfortable seating area, but the rooms themselves were just average.

The walls between rooms were paper thin and we could hear everything going on in the rooms next to ours. The room itself was narrow and quite dark all the time, although clean and the bathroom was fine.

The staff were very nice and our only worry with them was the ease in which they would hand our key to us when we returned to the hotel, even if they had not met us before...you just ask for your key and they hand it over with no verification of who you might be.

Overall like we said it was not bad, but we wouldn´t scramble to stay here again.

Quick word on the restaurant...we were bemused by the negative comments from a previous review, as the food and service was excellent. My husband had a steak, which was one of the best he has had in some time and I am vegetarian and had a wide choice of vegetarian options. The only negative we would have is that it is slightly more expensive than is normal for Mexico.

NB. Visit Naturalissimo on Novembre street for gorgeous smoothies, tasty veggie hotdogs, a salad bar and pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank marriedcouplefromUK
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 April 2005

This hotel was wonderful! I had never been to San Cristobal before and staying at El Paraiso made the already wonderful trip even better.

The food there was so delicious! I cannot stress this enough, try the fresh baked breads and pies or the fondue. Everything I tried was yummy, but those were what stood out as the best.

The rooms were neat and the beds were very comfortable. It was nice to walk outside of my room in the morning into the beautiful little courtyard that had such colorful and vibrant flowers and trees. As for the service, it was excellent! Our rooms were well tended and the waiters were lovely. Dont believe anything negative about this place, if you dont stay here while in San Cristobal you are missing out!

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 3 April 2005

Just returned from spending a week at this delightful hotel in San Cristobal. I admit that I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after I read the Londoner’s extremely negative post about his experience there last November. Nevertheless, a friend who had lived in San Cristobal – at Na Bolom, in fact – had highly recommended it, so off we went.

This was my fourth trip to San Cristobal. The first two times I stayed at Na Bolom back when Trudy Blom ruled the roost and it was truly a “by invitation” place, mostly for academicians. My third stay was at a hotel that no longer exists in the outskirts of town.

To begin with, all of my primary requisites for a hotel were more than amply covered: immaculate common areas and rooms, firm bed, centrally located (half a block from the Santo Domingo church and two blocks from the main square), and very safe. We had a double room for which we paid $47 US dollars a night that was right off a beautiful courtyard bursting with bunganvilleas, a fountain, a shady tree in which hummingbirds nested, and plenty of places to sit and take it all in. The room was attractive, though somewhat small, and had a large window which faced the courtyard.

There were so many pluses though. The food! We really had to tear ourselves away from the hotel’s restaurant to try other places. Every single thing we ate there was excellent, whether it was Mexican, such as chilaquiles, molletes, huevos rancheros, or black bean soup, or Swiss (the owners are from Montreux and Fribourg), such as a cheese fondue that would have been deemed superb in Manhattan or San Francisco or even Geneve), and beautiful deserts that included fresh baked apple strudel and lemon meringue pie. And the coffee! Chiapas is a coffee producing state, and El Paraiso’s coffee was top-notch. The chef was trained at Le Cordon Bleu and the Lausanne Hotel School). The restaurant was attractive and filled with fresh flowers.

The staff was wonderful. Attentive, caring, unobtrusive. After our first few days, they were actually anticipating our needs.

What would I change? I’ve had to give this some thought, but I can only come up with one suggestion: it would have been nice to have some area guide books available. In this regard, Na Bolom reigns supreme. However, I did have dinner at Na Bolom one evening, and was disappointed with the some of the food. The bread, though freshly baked, was practically inedible, and the desert consisted of one half of a canned peach. Back in the days when Ms. Blom was still alive, the food at Na Bolom had been exceptional. While I still prefer Na Bolom’s rooms (they are less hotel-like and cozy), it was a comfort to know that if it got cold, we had heaters at El Paraiso. Let me tell you… it often gets very cold in San Cristobal at night, and it’s a drag to have to get up to deal with a sooty fireplace to build a fire in the morning, just to make the room tolerable enough to dress in. Na Bolom is also far removed from the center of town, and is a lot less desirable if you do not have a car.

I cannot imagine what must have happened between the hotel manager and the Londoner who complained about El Paraiso, but everyone who stayed at El Paraiso while we were there seemed very contented with their choice and stay.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank Beverlina
Toronto
Reviewed 26 November 2004

I stayed at this hotel recently and found it to be a pleasant experience, clean, nicely decorated with an attractive courtyard. The price was also quite reasonable about CND$51 per couple.
We did not eat at the restaurant, but the service at the bar was friendly and competent .

• Stayed November 2004