El Argentino
Cuisines: Argentinian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This place's empanadas with chimichurri were delicious! Pretty place, good service. We visited the small one in Guadalupe street, not the big one.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

El Argentino is a argentine restaurant near the city centre of San Cristobal de Las Casas. The original restaurant burned down in late 2013, so it had to move "around the corner" in a smaller restaurant.
When I've been there, the furniture has been a little improvised, due to the fire. I won't criticize the restaurant's furniture when it's going to serve me some tasty argentine steak in the middle of south Mexico and just burned down some month before.
The meat and wine were delicious! I just don't have anything to complain about. The steak (I had the cheapest on the menu) was a simple revelation and the wine (as well the cheapest argentine red wine on the menu) very very good. I've been to Argentina and I had steak almost everywhere I went before, but this one is definitively among the top 3 steaks I ever had.
Additionally, the service is very friendly and helpful.

Well, why only 4 out of 5 "stars" if everything has been so perfectly perfect?
I'm a budget traveler. I'm used to low prices and I'm normally very keen on finding THE cheap and delicious place in town.
This time I checked out a really good restaurant and had really delicious food, but I had to pay the price as well.
So if one travels on a tight budged - keep away from El Argentino.
If you don't care and want some extra-delicious food, something different from mexican "antojitos",
GO FOR IT!

Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant place and delicious steak I'm suggested to go to el Argentino and you won't disappoint!

Reviewed 21 April 2013

The first indication that we should be nervous was the guy down the block handing out promotional flyers, we usually avoid the places that try too hard to attract attention but we were in the mood for a nice Argentine steak. After being seated and ordering wine the waiter brings us a higher price wine than we requested. After much back and forth we got the wine we requested. His English is very good so I know that there was no miscommunication because of language. Our food was basically good and the service attentive. The real problem started with the bill. They deducted a 10% tip automatically from our change. This is not normally the custom here. If my husband hadn't checked the bill and change we may not have noticed and left an additional tip on the table to boot!!! So beware, double check your bill, don't give them your credit card (they will automatically charge the 10% tip unless you tell them otherwise).

1  Thank NatureHound
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Argentine cuts of beef perfectly barbequed over natural charcoal. What could be better. The beef portions were large enough for two to share. The goat cheese and avocado salad was also a meal in itself so best shared. The empanadas were also good. All portions were plentiful and the staff was great..