“Felt like at home and I didn't have to make breakfast”
Review of Hostal Akumal

Hostal Akumal
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is a small hostel, only ten beds, but you are certainly made to feel like home. I stayed here long enough to thoroughly absorb what San Cristobal has to offer. Erich is a wonderful host, it is his home after all. On chilly nights he would make a fire in the fireplace. Chandra, the hostel dog, is a character in her own right. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who likes a small, cozy place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews but I couldn't resist for this place. It's more like staying with a family than at a hostel. Eric, the cool bloke running it, is always up for a chill and chat (he speaks great English), and he cooks a mean breakfast. Its only 5 minutes from the town square and he can tell you everything you need to know to take it from there. Great value! Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank chernald18
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Great owners, great hostel, great atmosphere. Really good breakfasts, warm fires in the evening and like minded guests.
The bathroom was clean, they were relaxed about us turning up at 5am to check in and didn't even charge us for an extra night and provided us with breakfast free if charge for the first morning even though we had not paid for the night before.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Londontravelbugkc
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Not only was this place available right when I needed it most, but since my stay there I've made great friends with the guests and owners. Their willingness to go beyond "the call of duty" has won my heart and my friendship...

I would definitely return to this place without a doubt should I visit Chiapas again... I may just visit back to see them.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Ozzi_G
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Akumal deserves their 5 star rating. Eric is an amazing host and so helpful, he gave us all the info we needed for around San Cristobal and helped us organise our onward journey south the following day. It's Eric and his girlfriend's house and you immediately feel all the warmth and cosiness of being in a real home with hosts who care and do their utmost to make your stay comfy. We really enjoyed hanging out in the living room on the sofa catching up on internet and relaxing. We stayed in a private room, the price was very reasonable and includes a homecooked breakfast which was delicious. We were only here one night but we wish we could have stayed longer....one of the best hostels we've stayed in on our trip!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatriceMcCauley
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed at Hostal Akumal over the winter solstice and Christmas, making it my third stay in 2012. Each time I have stayed at Akumal I have had memorable experiences and this was no exception. Erik, Chincya and dog Chandra made these holidays a great celebration with their welcome, their ever beautiful and clean hostal, the wonderful music we enjoyed from Ivan Resendiz and John Masters, and the great travelers who seem to find Akumal. Erik's breakfast was terrific as usual and now with homemade bread! And we cooked a wonderful international holiday feast together too. The atmosphere is welcoming, comfortable and ever-evolving with more beautiful murals, plants and comfortable spaces on the awesome terrace. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank wisechild_11
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Came for a few days, found myself (and other travelers) staying for more then a week... It was just to good! The ambiance is pleasant, the hosts are friendly and helpful, and make your life comfortable and fun.

• Stayed: October 2012