“One of my Favourite Hostels To-Date”

and 1 more site!
Posada del Abuelito
Melbourne, Australia
“One of my Favourite Hostels To-Date”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I really, really loved Posada del Abuelito and it’s definitely one of my all-time favourite hostels.

We stayed in a private room with bathroom and our room was beautiful. The rooms definitely have a rustic-chic vibe going on which I just loved, as did the people travelling with me, and the bathrooms were more than up-to-scratch, in fact in all my travels through Latin America – these are the best and hottest showers I've come across.

The rooms are kind of small but there’s a desk, shelves and bedside table so plenty of room to tuck your stuff and there’s also a small, lockable cupboard which was handy. The beds are firm, but that’s how I like them and there are plenty of extra blankets which is great given it gets a little bit nippy in San Cristobal at night.

The hostel is a short walk from the centre of town which didn’t bother me in the slightest and I felt totally safe walking home in the middle of the night. Also, if you're looking for a party hostel then this hostel isn't for you as it's pretty laid back here. While it doesn’t have a crazy-party vibe going on, we still spent a number of evenings having drinks in the courtyard with fellow travelers and made some great new friends.

I didn’t get to see the shared dorm rooms but I did use the shared bathroom and it was super clean and really nicely appointed.

The staff in this hostel are great – so friendly and helpful and I’ve forgotten the name of the lady who worked days and also did all the cleaning, which is a bummer because I’d love to publicly congratulate her for her efforts. This woman did not stop working. She was always cleaning – our rooms were cleaned daily, plus all of the public spaces and bathrooms too. She was a real machine!

It’s also worth noting that a basic breakfast is provided. It consists of a help-yourself deal – a platter of fruit (banana, prickly-pear/cactus fruit and papaya), a platter of bread, a tub of margarine and some jam. The bread, for white bread, was actually quite nice and you could tell it had been locally baked. I assume the hostel gets full loaves which they slice themselves each morning. There’s a little toaster oven for you to make your own toast too. Plus there’s dripper coffee and in the grand-scheme of dripper/hostel coffee it was some of the best I’ve had yet. The breakfast is nothing to write home about but we spruced it up by buying eggs from the tienda across the street and on another morning I whipped out my emergency Vegemite!

My only gripe is that the kitchen is small and only one person can cook at a time so get in early if you plan on making a meal but overall this place is awesome and I’d definitely stay here again, if and when I return to San Cristobal de las Casas.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I booked my room for a week, which quickly flew by and then I realized I had made a mistake, because I needed it for one more night, due to my travel plans. Luckily for me, Guillaume had just returned from Guatemala and he made sure I could keep my room for one more night! Thank you, Guillaume!

Absolutely loved it here! Very pretty little posada; quaint, cute, neat as a pin, peaceful. I was probably the oldest person staying there, but the younger crowd were very respectful and there was no loud partying or other shenanigans.

Signed up with quite a few tours and day trips which the posada offers. The Chocolate Workshop was one of my favorites! Lots of things to see and do on your own in San Cris or with the tours, you will be amazed as to how quickly time flies! Nights were spent under five toasty, warm blankets which are supplied in the room. I was never cold.

Breakfast consists of a variety of bread which you can toast using their toaster oven, awesome,fresh homemade marmalade and fresh fruit. Their locally grown organic coffee was incredible and smooth!

I loved it here! I didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: I had a room by the kitchen area. It can be a bit noisy with guests hanging around outside chatting...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 December 2012

This place is great. Not too big, great vibe, decent breakfast and all centered around a lovely courtyard with a well. Staff were also great, with Juliette paying attention to detail and the other woman (I'm sorry, I forgot her name) was ALWAYS cleaning. Seriously, you could have eaten off the floors in this place.

It's slightly on the fringes of the centro area but we all loved that, as it made it a bit more quiet. If partying is your thing, the hostel is probably not for you given the vibe and its distance from the action in centro. But as early 30s travelers, we loved it just the same as our 60 year old mother.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Juanbuddha
London
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We booked a private room in advance because this was our first stop in Mexico and we wanted to have a room secured for our time in San Cristobal le Casas. We were greeted by a lovely girl who showed us around and we were really pleased with our small but characterful room. San Cristobal is 2000 metre above sea level so it can get quite cold in the evening and at night but the hostel provided more than enough blankets to keep you warm through the night. The hot shower was a bit temperamental but after letting it run for 5 mins or so you eventually get some hot water, a must when the temperature drops at night. The breakfast provided was great, beautiful fresh bread with bananas, apples and lovely banana and spices jam, delicious! Teas and coffee also was great! I recommend this place if you're stopping for a few nights to visit this wonderful town, a must if you visit Chiapas in Mexico.
We paid 280 mxn pesos per night for the ensuite private room. Great price!

Room Tip: Try and avoid the room nearest to the kitchen it can be noisy early mornings and before the 10pm qui...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for a warm, friendly place, where travelers hang out by the fire and the managers treat you like old friends, look no further. The rooms are basic to be sure, but they're cleaned and made up every day (rare for hostels) and the bathrooms are impeccable. Location is convenient and it's nice and quiet. The guests are respectful and the managers don't tolerate party types.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

It is a very nice and cheap hostel. The staff there are very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay there. It is not far from downtown, you can walk there in 10 minutes. The rooms are small but ok, the beds are not vert comfortable. But all in all we can recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

The lovely couple that manages this hostal is very friendly, caring, fun and willling to help in everything they can in order to provide you the vacation you planed.Lovely time spent in the porch with other travellers.

• Stayed February 2012