“Our adventure!”

Posada del Abuelito
Tijuana
“Our adventure!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'm a 50 yr old woman that went to visit the state of Chiapas and was delighted to stay at Posada del Abuelito. The staff was very nice and helpful, they even arrange for you all the excursions if asked. The breakfast included 2 eggs that you have to prepare yourself in the small kitchen they have, it also included fresh chopped fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, tea and toast and a delicious home made jam. They have their rules where no body can be noisy after 8:30 pm but they have a cozy living room with a fire place where you can stay till later at night. We stayed in room 4 which I think is the best one where there is no noise at all. They even have a washer and dryer where you only pay 4 dlls or it's equivalent in pesos to do your laundry. Was delighted to meet young people from diferent psrts of the world, I wish I would of done this in my earlier years but I'm happy I did it right now, it's never too late, for the money it's very well worth it. Enjoy your adventure in beautiful Chiapas and I really enjoyed my stay at Posada del Abuelito, would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose room #4
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was at the Posada del Abuelito for a week and truly felt like I was at home in San Cristobal. The staff is amazing, giving you their full attention with whatever question you may have, or even if it is simply to have a chat about the activity that they helped you book. Their main concern genuinely is that you enjoy your stay with them and in the city. The rooms are very comfortable and the facility always very clean. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

After riding the overnight bus to San Cristobal and specifying my arrival time, there was no one to greet me at the posada. Instead i was welcomed to a sign which said 'do not knock' and a 40min wait. I found the hostel to be generally dirty and damp, and slept in room No 2 which was directly behind a noisy bathroom and facing the street. My room was tidy, however it was cold by night and the 'no noise policy' after 10pm didn't really apply with people talking late and smoking directly outside my room. I had issues flushing the shared toilet and although it specified that hot water wasn't available after 10pm, i didn't have a hot shower on both nights in the early evening (around 7pm). The real disappointment was the under utilised fire place which wasn't operating in the beautiful common room for the duration of my stay. I ended up getting a refund on my third night, which the staff so kindly cooperated with me on. The breakfast did make up for some of my misfortunes but i wouldn't race back!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the posada would be less noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Simonabuelito, Gérant at Posada del Abuelito, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Hi Claire,
We are really sorry that you had a bad experience at the posada. We take great pride in our work and try to improve every day to make it a great experience for guest. I just would like to answer the different points of your review :

- About the arrival time, in our website we say that the posada is closed between 10pm and 8am, Reception hours are from 8am to 10pm, but if you let us know 1 day prior to your arrival we can greet you late night or early morning. We put the "don't knock the door" because we want to respect guests of the posada in the night or early in the morning from 10pm till 8am we will work on making the sign more clear as not to cause confusion in the future. When you came it was during rain season so maybe that's why the hostel was damper than usual.
- About the noise, I'm really sorry again, the days you came was the latest days of the managers Alex and Guillermo so we've had a dinner outside, until 11h30.
- The boiler is on all the time, but if it happens to be off just let us know and we will glady fix that, for the hot water for the showers, you just have to wait a couple minutes for it to come out hot.
- And about the fire place, usually we don’t use it as much during the Summer but are happy to turn it on upon request as well for blankets that we offer if guests are cold at night. Thank you for your message, we will take care about all what you say and try to resolve all problems you had we are sure you will have a great experience if you decide to stay with us in the future.

Posada del Abuelito(Simon)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 July 2013

First stop on our Mexico trip. Loved it since the first moment I stepped in. Great breakfast selection, though you need to cook your eggs and wash your dishes, my favorite part was their bread. Excellent dorms, sturdy beds with many extra blankets; since it can get really cold because of the location and everything is very clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I had gotten my shoes wet and the fire place, yes it has a fire place, was on so I decided to put them near the fire and a staff member brought over a stool to put them on. Over all its a very cozy and comfty feeling you get. Lockers are available for a deposit, come with the hostel key too. Im planning to go back to the city and I'm definitely planning to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stayed at Posada del Abuelito for four weeks while doing research in San Cristobal. As a first time, solo (for part of the time at least) female traveler, Posada del Abuelito was the absolute best!!

I had a single room with a desk and windows, and Nilly, one of the amazing staff there, was so accomodating with my needs. PLUS when I got food poisoning from a place in town, she fixed me an herbal remedy to drink every morning for the next nine days. "Nurse Nilly" is the best.

I really can't rave about this place enough. It felt like home, the staff like family. Breakfast was simple and wonderful. The other travelers who I met there were great, too!

Sometimes at night it does get loud though! Not at the hostel, but near it. People in San Cris like to party. So buy some earplugs!

• Stayed May 2013
Pokhara, Nepal
Reviewed 14 June 2013

A beautiful, cosy place with tastefully decorated rooms situated around a lovely little courtyard. The staff are fantastic; friendly and helpful. The rooms are spotlessly cleaned every day and almost every flat surface has a vase of fresh flowers on it. Good breakfast; cereal, toast, fruit, home made jam, eggs and an endless supply of coffee. They also run a whole series of trips around town and the surrounding area, which are well worth doing and include trips to villages which would be pretty hard to organise on your own.
Nice kitchen, a bit small but well kitted out. Also has it's own laundry.
Nice 5 minutes stroll from the centre of San Cristobal, though you'll need a taxi from the bus station if you've got heavy bags though as it's the other side of town, about a 30 minute walk.
Great value for the price, especially if you've just come from anywhere further North- you'll be astonished what your money gets you!
The only slight downside is that when it's fully booked it can seem a bit crowded, but then if it was any bigger it wouldn't be so nice!

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the double rooms - try and get one that doesn't face onto the road as the ub...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Central Oregon, USA
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

I spent 7 nights in a single room with private bathroom. I was many years older than the average person staying at the posada but was invited to meals by other guests and treated as one of the group. Simon, one of the staff, was an absolutely kind and helpful person and even joined me for a visit to a womens weaving cooperative in a nearby village, serving as my interpreter . The location was perfect, a 10 minute walk to the zocala or the craft market. The morning breakfast in the lovely courtyard allowed for an easy transition into the day. Noise was never an issue and several nights some of the talentedusician/ guests staying here made the evening a special memory. It was amazingly cheap and I would not hesitate to stay again. Thank you simon, Nili, Marcos , and for a wonderful visit

• Stayed April 2013