Posada del Abuelito
Sombra del Agua Hotel San Cristobal(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$83
US$58
Las Escaleras by Inmense(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$130
US$114
Casa del Alma Hotel Boutique & Spa(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$142
US$121
Le Gite del Sol(San Cristobal de las Casas)(Great Value!)
US$12
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Parador Margarita(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$51
US$43
Guayaba Inn(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$142
US$138
Hotel Villa Mercedes(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$67
US$57
Casa Santa Lucia(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$95
US$93
Grand Guadalupe by Inmense(San Cristobal de las Casas)
US$74
US$65
Hotel San Marcos(San Cristobal de las Casas)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$38
All reviewsprivate roomhot watermayan medicinehomemade marmaladebreakfast was amazingcorn flakeswell equipped kitchengreat kitchenfree drinking waterstayed longerbeautiful hostelroaring firefive nightsnice gardencommon areas arefelt like homegreat wifi
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was at Posada del Abuelito in May 2013. Arrived by myself but met a lot of great people there (thanks Marco for a lovely stay). The hostel is really cosy and has a homey feel to it. Dorms are spacious enough and also the privates are really comfortable and budget-priced.

It's more tranquil and chill than other hostels in San Cristobal :) Another great thing: the hostel is just around the corner of the amazing Na Bolom museum! Go and see for yourself!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

All I can say is that we liked it so much we went back to spend our last night in Chiapas there. Really peaceful place, the staff are really helpful, very clean, and the breakfast is delicious (you have to make it yourself but I think that adds to the homely feel of the place).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'm a 50 yr old woman that went to visit the state of Chiapas and was delighted to stay at Posada del Abuelito. The staff was very nice and helpful, they even arrange for you all the excursions if asked. The breakfast included 2 eggs that you have to prepare yourself in the small kitchen they have, it also included fresh chopped fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, tea and toast and a delicious home made jam. They have their rules where no body can be noisy after 8:30 pm but they have a cozy living room with a fire place where you can stay till later at night. We stayed in room 4 which I think is the best one where there is no noise at all. They even have a washer and dryer where you only pay 4 dlls or it's equivalent in pesos to do your laundry. Was delighted to meet young people from diferent psrts of the world, I wish I would of done this in my earlier years but I'm happy I did it right now, it's never too late, for the money it's very well worth it. Enjoy your adventure in beautiful Chiapas and I really enjoyed my stay at Posada del Abuelito, would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose room #4
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I was at the Posada del Abuelito for a week and truly felt like I was at home in San Cristobal. The staff is amazing, giving you their full attention with whatever question you may have, or even if it is simply to have a chat about the activity that they helped you book. Their main concern genuinely is that you enjoy your stay with them and in the city. The rooms are very comfortable and the facility always very clean. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2013

After riding the overnight bus to San Cristobal and specifying my arrival time, there was no one to greet me at the posada. Instead i was welcomed to a sign which said 'do not knock' and a 40min wait. I found the hostel to be generally dirty and damp, and slept in room No 2 which was directly behind a noisy bathroom and facing the street. My room was tidy, however it was cold by night and the 'no noise policy' after 10pm didn't really apply with people talking late and smoking directly outside my room. I had issues flushing the shared toilet and although it specified that hot water wasn't available after 10pm, i didn't have a hot shower on both nights in the early evening (around 7pm). The real disappointment was the under utilised fire place which wasn't operating in the beautiful common room for the duration of my stay. I ended up getting a refund on my third night, which the staff so kindly cooperated with me on. The breakfast did make up for some of my misfortunes but i wouldn't race back!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the posada would be less noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Simonabuelito, Gérant at Posada del Abuelito, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Hi Claire,
We are really sorry that you had a bad experience at the posada. We take great pride in our work and try to improve every day to make it a great experience for guest. I just would like to answer the different points of your review :

- About the arrival time, in our website we say that the posada is closed between 10pm and 8am, Reception hours are from 8am to 10pm, but if you let us know 1 day prior to your arrival we can greet you late night or early morning. We put the "don't knock the door" because we want to respect guests of the posada in the night or early in the morning from 10pm till 8am we will work on making the sign more clear as not to cause confusion in the future. When you came it was during rain season so maybe that's why the hostel was damper than usual.
- About the noise, I'm really sorry again, the days you came was the latest days of the managers Alex and Guillermo so we've had a dinner outside, until 11h30.
- The boiler is on all the time, but if it happens to be off just let us know and we will glady fix that, for the hot water for the showers, you just have to wait a couple minutes for it to come out hot.
- And about the fire place, usually we don’t use it as much during the Summer but are happy to turn it on upon request as well for blankets that we offer if guests are cold at night. Thank you for your message, we will take care about all what you say and try to resolve all problems you had we are sure you will have a great experience if you decide to stay with us in the future.

Posada del Abuelito(Simon)