“Great hostel!”

Posada Leon de Jovel
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Great hostel!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Very friendly place! I stayed here on my way through Mexico and Central America, and this was one of my favorite stops. I felt safe and at home, and really enjoyed the "family dinner" that happened one of the nights. If I ever go back through I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We found this hostel to be a great experience - the rooms were nice and clean and the staff were super friendly and accommodating at all times. We had a lot of fun on the tours and got a look at San Christobal that you wouldn't ordinarily get from other less-involved hostel owners. All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
Reviewed 26 November 2013

this hostel is really good value! its really friendly and cheap! the volunteers do loads of events and really try and help me with my spanish... err! they organise loads of communal dinners and days out (free days out). i stayed here two weeks but when i found somewhere to stay for the month the owners said i was still welcome to come along on the days out they do to meet new people. the owners are really friendly and both speak really good english. they recently did a big clean of the hostel and are slowly painting all teh rooms, so i think that is what the review below is all about. they did tell us that there would be a bit of work going on but it was never noisy. anyway, this hostel is really friendly and ask for fer or david as they are wicked and invite everybody to go on tours and days out. i am a solo travller but there are loads of couples living here. i wish more hostels were like this one! would make travelling even better! you will see that theres a lovely energy in this place!!! enjoy san cristobal!

Room Tip: the rooms at the back are the best!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jacky m
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Grotty, with all sorts of rubbish scattered around, mattresses piled up against the walls, a disorganised woman on reception, a couple of drugged up to the eyeballs sorts staggering around the courtyard, music blaring from speakers somewhere in the hostel. The only thing going for this place is that it's cheapish.

Room Tip: Would avoid choosing any room after the night we spent here, and try elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Fer Z, Propietario at Posada Leon de Jovel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we can only apologize that this time, we did not meet your expectations.
We try to provide our guests with the best possible hospitality, service and experience here. We spoke with the employee in question and we have decided to provide further training. Some of our staff are travellers doing work exchanges and at times I’m sure there are communication failures on our part. Our passion is to provide more than a bed for the night and provide guests with memorable experiences and a happy and comfortable atmosphere, a home away from home say. Unfortunately my business partner nor I can be in the hostel at all times as we organise tours and spend time with guests outside of the hostel. I would like to thank you again for your comments and only apologise that this time around we failed you both but we will accept your comments and do everything we can to put things right. If you happen to come through San Cristobal again we would be more than happy to offer you a couple of free nights and speak to you again as we do believe we run a good business that looks after guests and offers many services that others do not.

And thanks, again.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”
“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
Mahatma Gandhi
Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were booked in the Posada Mexico Youth Hostel but due to a change of plans we ended up in San Cristobal a day early. The hostel was fully booked, so we chose the first available option on the HostelWorld app, which was this... and we would have happily stayed for our entire stay!

We arrived very late but this was no problem and we were welcomed warmly by Nicola - we'd had a stressful journey and it was lovely to have a fellow Brit greet us!

The room was spotless and we loved the open courtyard in the middle of the hostel, as well as the beautiful tiles throughout.

We were literally only there to sleep, but I'd still recommend it - total bargain and very clean and friendly!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank rachael g
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I've been to San Cristobel several times but my stay at Posada Leon on my last trip was the very best.

Pancho and Nicola are the very best hosts. They made me feel so very welcome and were excellent and showing me around SC and pointing me to the best places to eat, drink and enjoy my stay. Nicola is from England and for someone whose Spanish isn't great she was really helpful. Theyre both hugely passionate and involved with the local community and I had a great time learning more about the area rather than just travelling on through Mexico as a normal traveller would.

The bedrooms are clean and tidy. The communal areas, hammocks, mural paintings and roof top made this a special place to stay. This isn't a place for the 'traveller' crowd but for people who want to hang out with interesting people and get to know the real Mexico.

Thank you so much!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CeeDeeZee
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I stayed at Posada Leon de Jovel for over a month in total, split between September/October and coming back in December. I thought the hostel was brilliant, with knowledgable and friendly staff and chatty, adventurous travelers. The flower-filled courtyard was filled with color and lovely murals adorned the walls. For those who enjoy cooking, the fully stocked kitchen was large enough to accommodate the guests with enough dishes/cookware for everyone. I really enjoyed the early morning chats over coffee (for we early birds..) and the close proximity to the local markets. Everything is within easy walking distance. The rooms are spacious and clean with enough blankets to keep warm on the cold winter nights.

Room Tip: Facing the back courtyard, the rooms on the left side upstairs would seem to get more daily sun, whe...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo