“Everything it claims to be”
Review of Guayaba Inn

Guayaba Inn
wagga
“Everything it claims to be”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

A lovely, comfortable, hard to criticise place to stay. Done to a high standard, and good service too. Big breakfasts with the nicest bread I had in Mexico (actually breakfast was so large, after the first day I just went for the continental option). San cristobal can be a bit touristy, but get off the two main walking streets and you can get away from all that. The local market is wonderful- so colourful, respect the local people's preference not to be photographed. Value for money excellent by international standards, not so good by Mexican standards

Room Tip: Let them show you a few
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reins76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Paris - France
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Inn is not just by the zocalo, but it is near enough the center of San Cristobal de Las Casas that you can walk there without issues.
We had trouble finding it at first, because our GPS was not aware that some streets were only one ways, but we quickly solved the issue.
On arrival, we were welcomed nicely, and someone from the staff accompanied us to the parking lot that is in the next street and included.
This done, we went to our room... Almost, because our attention was directed to huge noise outside, and all the people in the street were pointing to the sky ! There was a huge tornado a few hundreds of meters away, a lot of debris in the air. It did not last long, but there was some damage afterwards in the city. It was quickly taken care of by the army forces and other helpers.
Then , we eventually went to our room, located on the ground floor. My first thought was what a nice haven we have found !!
Our room had all the charm I was hoping to find, was beautiffully decorated, had nice furniture, a chimney we used because in the mountains it can get a little cold.
Not to mention the huge bathroom, with the huge shower and bathtub.
We were given the menu for the dinner and breakfast, and for the massages.
I was a little tired from our journey, so a massage was appealing to me.
I went to the reception and asked if I could have a massage, the receptionist called the masseuse and organized it in the half hour.
The massage took place in a cabin of the inn that is specially designed for that purpose.
I have to say that it was one, if not the best massage I had, and I had lots in my different trips and also home.
It was very professional, and I was so relaxed at the end. The masseuse was very sympathetic also. I was so happy I chose to indulge.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent, the menu was varied and we were happy to choose from all that.
If I ever return to San Cristobal de Las Casas, there is no doubt I will return there !

1 Thank Globetrekkiegirl
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here and May and it rained a lot. Can't rate the hotel on that obviously. The staff was lovely and seemed quite concerned that we were happy. (We were) The town was unexpectedly cold (didn't do our homework) but we were warm inside and were able to purchase sweaters in town. The room was lovely - loved the bathtub and the breakfasts were quite nice. It wasn't as quiet as I hoped, but it's on a rather busy street and upstairs is probably noisier than downstairs. We had to move after three days, and I wish we'd been closer to town (in fact we moved closer in) - the inn is a bit from town and the streets are quite slippery in the rain, but a taxi is only about $3 so that helped. But for the location I would have given five stars. We did not take advantage of the steam room, but can see how it would be so nice when coming home cold. Thanks for all the attention!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1SuzieTraveler
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Can´t say enough good things about this hotel. The place is beautiful, a real pleasure to spend time in. Fireplaces in the rooms, super comfortable beds, personality to spare. One of the best places I think I have ever stayed. Personnel are very accommodating. The breakfasts are delicious, and we even had a light dinner there which was just what we needed after a big lunch. We had a jr. suite, and the bathroom was amazing, complete with copper tub! Yes, it´s a little far from the center of town, but well worth the extra steps.

Valencia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is an old house that has been converted into a hotel and its simply amazing. The rooms are spacious and the tub is a super nice touch. The grounds are incredibly maintained the hotel is very secure with high walls and locked doors. The staff bends over backwards to make suer you are fully satisfied..Lastly, the breakfast is incredible.

1 Thank zippy1421
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I adored Guayaba Inn! It was about a 10 minute walk from restaurants, a mercado and other sites. The breakfast was delicious and in the evening, staff light the fireplace in the room to take the chill out of the air. San Cristobal is an amazing city and Guayaba Inn was the perfect place to stay! I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: My room faced the patio near the entrance. It was so lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London
Reviewed 23 April 2014

All the reviews are true - this place is great. It was the first place we stayed on our 2.5 weeks holiday in Mexico and the best.

We stayed in room 5 which was lovely - on the first floor with its own private balcony, a beautiful bathroom with freestanding copper bath, and comfortable bed.

The breakfasts were wonderful - something for everyone and plentiful.

All the staff were friendly and very helpful.

We have no criticisms. GI is about a 10 minute walk to the town centre which we enjoyed and took as an opportunity to explore different parts of the town. Some may find this too far but taxis are easy to get and cheap.

We would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Room 5 on the first floor is recommended but all the rooms look lovely
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple