“Casa Gaia is my most memorable hostal”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal Casa Gaia

Hostal Casa Gaia
“Casa Gaia is my most memorable hostal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I spent 6 months backpacking through Mexico, and Casa Gaia has left me with the most amazing memories of any place I stayed. My original plan to stay a couple nights turned into a week as I came to know Johnathon and Klaire as friends instead of owners. Many days I went out to parks, football, or shopping with Jonathon, and many nights I stayed in to play poker, watch movies, or cook and eat dinner with them, their beautiful children, and other friendly lodgers. As a solo backpacker, finding a place that felt like a home was an amazing experience and turned my time in San Cristobal into my favorite leg of my 6 month journey through the country. As a word of warning, Klaire will not hesitate to destroy you in Texas Hold'em, and Johnathon has a powerful football leg both on the field and the Playstation. As far as lodging, the water was hot, the beds were clean and changed daily, the kitchen was cared for and highly functional, and the garden area was beautiful and cozy. So if you're looking for an awesome experience in San Cristobal, I can't recommend a better place to stay than Casa Gaia.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
here there everywhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed with Claire and Jonathan for over a week. They are very friendly and helpful with everything, giving tips on where to go and eat, funky bars etc. The hostal is duper cute, with both an inside hang out area and a little garden. Rooms simple but clean!! Hot water, which you really need in san Cristóbal, since at night it's freezing.
All in all a great place and I'm definitely going back :-)

• Stayed January 2014
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Jonathan and Klaire have done an amazing job of setting up their hostel. It has a very homely, relaxed and calm vibe and they both make you feel at home the minute you walk in the door. The hostel is very clean and tidy and is the best priced hostel I've ever been to for the service they offer. Couldnt have asked for a better stay in san cristobal.... Klaire and Jonathan's hospitality is second to none as they are always happy to tell you anything you need to know. My friends and I Loved every minute of our stay there. Also check out Jonathan's Mescal bar it's well worth it... Cheers guys

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I stayed in Casa Gaia for 7 days and we absolutely loved it. Claire and Jonathan made us feel at home from the very first minutes we were there till the end of our stay! The hostel is very clean, organized and cozy! They have a great kitchen and we had lots of conversations with Claire and Jonathan around the table! Great moments! Their kids are also so cute and educated! We met nice people staying there and the best thing is the familiar atmosphere. Everything for a fair price! We definitely reccomend them!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Aalborg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed at hostal casa gaia for five nights during easter 2013. I highly enjoyed me stay. The place has a friendly family-like ambience, and the bi-lingual owners - Jonathan and Claire and their two small children - are great people that make you feel welcome from the very beginning. The hostel has a nice patio where you can enjoy sunny days. The kitchen is well equipped, also. My only complaint is that there is only one bathroom for all the outside rooms, and it gets really crowded when the hostal fills up. Also, the internet only works inside the house and not in the rooms. However, for the price you are paying and the friendly atmosphere, I'd definitely recommend staying at Hostal Casa Gaio

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

What makes Gaia so wonderful are the owners, Jonathan and Clare, who will make you feel like part of their family. It is small and cozy, and there are always interesting guests gathered around the kitchen table, sharing food and stories. They are both bilingual and will help you in whatever way they can to make your stay comfortable.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo