“The only place to stay in San Cristobal”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal de las Casas
La Joya Hotel San Cristobal
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was blessed that my good friends mother recommended LaJoya Hotel. The experience was really something special. John and Ann, the owners, are so sincere, warm and friendly that I felt so comfortable from the moment I walked though the gorgeously carved wooden doors. The location is perfect for any one visiting San Cristobal. The rooms are so immaculate and comfortable with a classic detailed design. Ann so kindly helped me with all my requests and John's breakfast's were amazing. I sincerely recommend that you choose to stay here when you visit San Cristobal, you will not be disappointed. I am also telling all my friends, family and colleagues the same!
-Malini

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MaliniNambiar
LaJoyaHotel, Manager at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

It was such a pleasure to welcome you and Gus! We could not have been more blessed with gentler and more appreciative guests. We already miss seeing you at breakfasts in the upper patio and the lovely chats we have had. We look forward to welcoming you back home to La Joya Hotel San Cristobal. John and Ann

There are newer reviews for La Joya Hotel San Cristobal

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have stayed in MANY! hotels around the world and this is by far the best i've ever stayed in.

John an Ann are very friendly and accommodating to your every need, they make you feel very wanted and customer service by the staff was fantastic.
No complaints at all!!!!

you will feel right at home in this hotel.

Very thankful to have stayed in this hotel.
Thank you John and Ann!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JohnKorn
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

You have been one of the kindest and most considerate guests we have hosted. We have thoroughly enjoyed your company and are very appreciative of your invaluable tips on how to maximize our internet capability. We sincerely hope that your travels take you back to San Cristobal and La Joya Hotel someday soon. John and Ann

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Once you cross over thethreshold at La Joya Hotel, your travel weariness is instantly abated and you are transported into a space of great beauty, elegance and tranquility. Your incredibly wonderful & gracious hosts, Ann Conway & John Do, greet you at the door with a warmth & graciousness that is so genuine & generous, you feel like you've been friends forever. Then you may meet the staff - three young men, always with big smiles, whose kindness & attention to service makes you feel like royalty.
I believe there are 5 guest rooms in total - all different but equally fabulous, appointed with art & treasures from Ann & John's world travels. You may have a wood burning fireplace and/or a private balcony. Your sheets have been ironed and if there's a chill in the night air, you can turn on the mattress warmer so your bed is cozy warm from the start. Just in case you want a midnight snack, there is fruit and chocolate near your bed. The bathroom? It will be a surprise - of luxury.
In the morning, you will be the very lucky recipient of John's cooking for breakfast. Each day of your stay there will be a different combination of delicious delights and it goes without saying that Ann & John have pre-checked with you for your food preferences & taboos.
Ann is a master at planning excursions customized just for you. She knows the dates, times, even festival routes of the surrounding pueblos' holidays & fiestas. She knows because she has checked each one personally. With your particular interests in mind, she will suggest the best guides. We were so fortunate to be in the wonderful care & knowledge of Damian, Alex and taxista, Rubin.
There is so much more - tea at 5, if you wish. Too tired to go out at night - how about a movie? John will light a fire, offer you a great selection of DVD's, and bring wine and cheese & crackers to your comfy seat in the TV lounge.

I could go on & on. The combination of a 5 star hotel with the the hospitality & friendship of Ann & John is an unforgettable combination. Our ten days at LaJoya Hotel truly felt like we were living in Shangra La. There are many beautiful comfortable places to stay in the world but only one of those comes with Ann & John. San Cristobal de Las Casas is the winner. There is no other place as wonderful and meaningful to us, as Ann & John's La Joya Hotel.
Suzanne K.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank suzanChicago
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed your 10 days with us! And it was a pleasure creating an itinerary of the various treasures in and around San Cristobal. It seemed that everywhere you went there was something special going on. We hope you'll come back for more adventures and fireside chats! Happy travels! Ann and John

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Choosing La Joya Hotel made our great trip unforgettable. The hotel is located just steps from the center of town, on a quiet side street. World travelers themselves, owners John and Ann have tastefully decorated La Joya Hotel with treasures collected from around the globe, and added natural beauty, to create a space of true comfort and graciousness. Hearty breakfasts, served by family and engaging staff, sent us on our way each day. And to return to La Joya Hotel after each Chiapas adventure was heavenly. Ann's blog, website and Facebook pages are an excellent source of information about the area surrounding San Cristobal and Chiapas state. Don't miss this jewel! We are already planning our return to La Joya Hotel and San Cristobal de las Casas.

Room Tip: Check the La Joya website to choose from any of the beautifully appointed suites.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and it was a pleasure creating an itinerary that took you to our favorite Maya ruins and the beautiful natural wonders of Agua Azul, Misol-Ha, Sumidero Canyon, and El Chiflon. We would love to have you join us again for more adventures! Ann and John

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had always wanted to visit this part of Mexico because of its reputation for rich cultural traditions, Mayan ruins, ruggedly beautiful scenery and high quality artesian works (great shopping), and distinctive cuisine. My 10-day visit in December 2013, confirmed all this to be true and so much more. But nothing (not even glowing reviews) could have prepared me for the La Joya Hotel. Owners John and Ann have created a Shangri-La that you experience the moment you step across their threshold into an eye-popping entry filled with pots overflowing with flowers and plants, Mayan sculptures and a tranquil water feature. When you close the door on the quaint, narrow streets of San Cristobal de las Casas and enter the hotel, you are truly in another world. This world is serene, elegant and reflects the owners’ impeccable taste. After a few days, I realized what I valued even more than being surrounded by the beautiful objects they have collected from their world travels and all the luxurious touches to pamper their guests, such as travel books in your room to read in front of your own fireplace while you nibble chocolates that mysteriously appeared in a beautiful bowl beside the fresh flowers. What I valued was the serenity that I could return to after shopping in native markets or climbing pyramids at Palenque or exploring nearby ancient villages. I could step into this world that Ann and John have created and relax and ponder all the magical sights I had experienced. For me, this was the most treasured part of my visit to Chiapes. Of course, I join the chorus of reviewers that praise Ann and John for their expert concierge service, exquisite breakfasts and all around pampering. Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Damian, the wonderful guide that they suggested for the tours I took of the Mayan ruins. Damian is a rare docent who combines an educated knowledge of the culture, politics, and archeology of Mexico, and specifically the Mayan culture of Chiapes, with a caring attitude that makes you feel like you are being protected as well as guided. Not only am I planning my next visit, but I’ve encouraged my friends that if they go to Chiapes and stay at the La Joya Hotel, they will love me forever!

Room Tip: Las Columnas has a view of the mountains that I could see from the bed and the shower!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Your enthusiasm for what we have created at La Joya Hotel brings us joy! And all the places you visited while you were here remind us of the reasons we love Chiapas. We agree that Damian is a wonderful guide! We hope you will return to LJH! Ann and John

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We love La Joya Hotel! We woke up every morning in our super comfortable bed to see the sun come up over the mountains surrounding San Cristóbal. The hotel's location is perfect—one block from the pedestrian zone, but sheltered from the hubbub. San Cristóbal is full of colonial buildings, lots of color, and is surrounded by natural beauty. If I could give La Joya six stars I would. The sixth star is for the wonderful owners, Ann and John. They gave us guidance on what to see and do, got us a wonderful and very knowledgeable guide, and treated us like kings.

Room Tip: We loved La Concha for its patio and beautiful view toward the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

We're so happy you enjoyed La Joya Hotel and the many adventures that you had in San Cristobal and Chiapas, from the shops and amazing holiday/new year celebrations in the surrounding villages to the Maya ruins of Tonina, Palenque, Bonampak, and Yaxchilan. You saw it all! Ann and John

Reviewed 7 January 2014

From the moment our family walked through the front door to our last day at La joya Hotel, we felt so pampered and at home here. We enjoyed nine days of adventures that owner Ann helped plan, in which each day we would leave early in the morning and return late in the evening, exhausted but full of all we saw and did...including visiting local Mayan towns and cutural events, exploring Sumidero Canyon, Cascadas Chiflon, and touring amazing Mayan ruins and much more. The Hotel offered a wonderful retreat after our long days of sight-seeing. Coming in the front door we were greeted by a world of beauty...with art, books, flowers, and beautifully appointed sitting rooms and outdoor patios. Every day our hosts and staff would change things around...giving us a new treat of different flower bouquets, books, sweets, and other luxuries that were unexpected!

This review would not be complete without mentioning the fabulous breakfasts that owner John, created every morning....always a surprise and always accompanied with freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries, and many sides from which to choose!

Kudos to Ann and John, for giving us a vacation we will never forget....every aspect was perfect! From connecting us with extremely knowledgable guides and timing where we would go to corresponding local festivities (we especially enjoyed watching the New Year's celebrations from their rooftop patio)...to the tranquility of our room with its own woodburning fireplace and the extensive art and artifacts collections in every corner throughout the hotel....this was the most enjoyable hotel stay we have ever experienced. We will need to come back soon to really absorb everything that is offered at La Joya Hotel!!

Room Tip: Each room is completely different....you will need to check with the owners to decide which room bes...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle L
LaJoyaHotel, Owner at La Joya Hotel San Cristobal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

You packed in so many adventures during your stay with us! And such fun seeing all the treasures that you discovered in the stores and markets. Hope you will come visit us again! Ann and John