“Great location, beautiful hotel”

Sombra del Agua Hotel San Cristobal
Reviewed 29 August 2011

this hotel is in a great location, off the main street in san cristobal and close to everything, the hotel is well kept and beautiful. rooms are good size and well kept.......

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Noisy, overpriced, car fumes in the room. Find someplace else to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We were originally booked into the Casa Mexicana, supposedly the place to stay in San Cristobal, but even with a booking we were told it was full and we had been transferred to the Holiday Inn. Impressed we were not and the mere name Holiday Inn did not conjure up a comfortable and historic Mexican villa stay - which we were to discover is exactly what the Holiday Inn was! We got off to a really bad start on arrival at the HI, which was just a 5 minute walk away. Even though we had requested a "good" room we were shown to an airless almost basement style room with hardly any natural light. A light remonstration with the staff on the difference between good and indifferent led us up the stairs to a much nicer and quieter room. We declared ourselves happy and were even happier when our lost bags, last seen in Mexico City, appeared that afternoon in our room. The HI is central but importantly it's quiet as these Mexicans no how to party, particularly at weekends. San Cristobal itself is a delight and was our favourite place in Mexico. Wine bars, cafes and reasonable to very good restaurants (Terra y Ciel) are easily found. Breakfast at the HI was heavily Mexican but a pick and mix ensured we didn't starve. The HI has a fantastic history and it is very old so just get with the programme and ignore the odd imperfection. Staff are fabulous.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2010

nice and cozy hotel in the middle of the old city of san cristobal, small hotel, not many rooms, great service, nice staff, good bussiness center, great location (near the Burger King - 2 min. from Zocalo)
DO NOT order breakfast, its weird (chiapas cuisine) when we checked out (6:00am) a lunch box was made for us - very nice!

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Don't write this hotel off just because it's an American chain. This is a colonial style gem located within walking distance to all you will want to see. Rooms are spacious, beds comfortable and all very clean. Rooms are well decorated and even those facing the stree are very quiet. The gardens within are delightful and give you the feeling that you're staying in a private home. Restaurant provides a wide selection breakfast buffet with typical dishes and selections for even the picky eater. All food is very fresh and tasty. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My wife and I stayed here February 2010. The management at this hotel needs to decide if it wants to be a hotel or if wants to be a bar with loud music. It cannot be both in our opinion. At least it cannot be a high quality hotel if it allows loud music to play when guests are trying to sleep.

That said, the hotel has loads of potential. It is an old mansion restored, in the center of the tourist district, and reflects local culture and architecture. Its prices are competitive as well.

The hotel did NOT use toxic smelling cleaning agents or any artificial air “fresheners”, a cause of headaches, and stinging eyes and much more dreadful conditions. For that we were very, very grateful

We shortened our seven night stay to one night due to the music situation. We would have liked to have stay longer. Maybe next time!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I have to say that this hotel is beautiful and the rooms are nice and cozy. But when it comes to the staff and how secure it is, it leaves a lot to be desired. Our first night there and our only night was a real disappointment. We had a really long and tiresome trip from Vancouver Canada to San Cristobal in Chiapas, Mexico. We were looking forward to getting to the hotel and just finally not having to worry about wondering where we were going to be staying for the next few days while we were vacationing there. Here is where the security part comes into play. At around 5:00 in the morning the next day I was enjoying a comfortable sleep with my boyfriend when all of the sudden I hear someone at the door swiping a key card to open the door and to my surprise, the key card actually opened the door. By this time I had already tried to find out who was at the door by saying, hello...? Who is there? You have the wrong room. I know that they never actually knocked at the door before trying to open it. I was enjoying a nice sleep but at the same time I am a very light sleeper, so I would have heard if anyone had nock on the door at all. Besides it would have been much too early for the maid service to want to start cleaning the rooms. As they heard me saying, who is there? and that they had the wrong room, they responded, oh sorry and closed the door. I right away got up to try to get a good look at the people that try to get into our room. I was only able to make out that it was a man and a woman in their 50’s or so. I right away then went to the phone and called the front desk to report what happened. The person at the front desk said that, that was very strange and that she was going to find out what happened and let me know. Well we tried to fall to sleep again after that but both of us were feeling a bit unease. Little did it helped to try to get back to sleep because we were awaken again at about 7 am and did I mention this is happening all on a Sunday? This time was by the staff of the hotel that were taking things out of the storage/cleaning supply room that was right by our room. They started making a lot of noise taking out metal buckets and sticks and throwing them out of the room while at the same time also whistling and shouting at each other from across the court yard where the rooms are. Well little is to be said that we got up and just started packing our things and went to the front desk to check out of there to look for another hotel, a little more considerate of their customers and with better security. As we were checking out I asked the lady at the front desk if they found out who were the people that tried to come into our room and that how is it that they had a key card that also worked to open our door?
She basically answered me with very little interest or concern. She said that her guess was that was someone who worked there that was trying to see which rooms were taken and which rooms weren’t. At this point I asked myself, wouldn’t they have a record of which rooms were taken on their computer or in their records? So they have the habit of going around at 5am waking people up to see if the room is taken or now? I will never go back to that hotel and I do not recommend to anyone that I know and that reads this review that if you are in San Cristobal de las Casa, Chiapas to never go and stay at The Holiday Inn there.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple