“Stop...look no further, this is the place to stay!”
Review of Bela's B&B

Bela's B&B
San Francisco, Nayarit, Mexico
“Stop...look no further, this is the place to stay!”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stop...look no further, this is the place to stay! I had the pleasure to stay here for a week and was treated like one of the family. Bela is an impressive hostess and the family that works for her is amazing. The location is right in the heart of San Cristobal...one block from the Santa Domingo market. The garden is super unique with hundreds of different plants and flowers. I awoke to a fabulous breakfast each morning and drank coffee while I planned out my day. Bela made sure to line me out on whatever I wanted to do. This small boutique B&B sets the ambiance for a one-of-a-kind experience in San Cristobal. I am counting down the days til I am back walking the streets of such an incredible city and resting my head in the best spot in Chiapas! Thanks Bela, Manuela, & all the family for making my trip so memorable!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Colleen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This really is a pristine, tranquil, and convenient place to stay in San Cristobal de las Casas. It is very conveniently located to the shops and cafes of el Centro and el Zocalo (main plaza), as well as the open air "indigenous crafts" market--that's just across the street. The gardens at Bela's are a delight--regularly frequented by local hummingbirds (picaflores?). The rooms are immaculate and very tastefully done--the beds, blankets, and pillows all top-quality, making for a very peaceful slumber. The breakfast rivals any I've had for taste and healthfulness--all you can eat fruit, eggs, pancakes, yogurt, fresh-squeezed juices, toast and a variety of jams and jellies, excellent coffee (and tea), and more. Bela is a joy and a wealth of knowledge of San Cristobal and surrounding areas, and her help, well, they seem to be more like her extended family, are all super kind and attentive. Lastly, the massage I got there (from Teresa, who also prepares the delicious breakfast) rivals any I've had anywhere--I think it was only about 450 pesos ($34US?). Get one, you won't regret it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank svMardeluz
Chelem, Mexico
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Bela's has to be about the nicest B&B in the world, the only problem is that you wont want to leave. The beautiful garden lovely rooms & friendly atmosphere are so seductive that one feels immediately at home.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Despite our spontaneous (I only called one day ahead of time and was lucky that there was a room available) and early arrival at 6 AM we could already enter our room and we were welcomed by Bela and her four small and cute dogs.

The ambience is nice, there are many colourful flowers in the patio.

The B&B is located just 5 minutes from the city center, a travel agency is nearby (in case you want to plan some trips) and almost next to the B&B is a market that is open until late, 7 days a week - good to get mexican souvenirs. The location is simply perfect for a stay in San Cristobal de las Casas.

Our room was clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. We used the service of getting our clothes cleaned and dried, which was very convenient.

The breakfast was tasty and it was a nice atmosphere chatting with the other tourists. On the day that we left, we could leave our luggage on the site past the check out time, which was very nice - it enabled us to finish a day trip and then to travel on!

Throughout our stay, Bela was always happy to help us with ideas and advice. It was extremely helpful that she had a map prepared for us with important spots in the city, such as banks, sights and also restaurants that she recommended (that had also good ratings at tripadvisor). That was fantastic guidance! Also the idea to visit Chamala and Zinacantán was great advice.

Thank you for letting us stay at your B&B so spontaneously, we had a great time. I miss my favorite of your dogs, Coco-Beans :-)

Room Tip: Try to get the room on the very top. From the balcony you are overlooking the beautiful garden of Be...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I'm pretty much just piling on at this point, but I'll add another superlative review: This is an outstanding B & B, and I have stayed in some fine ones. The location is perfect; close to the hub, without being loud. Everything is lovely...Bela's attention to detail is evident in everything, from the lovely garden to the perfect tiling in the bathrooms. Bela herself is attentive without being overbearing, and is an interesting conversationalist. This is certainly not the cheapest place in town, but it almost certainly the nicest.
Tip: parking is available for about $8/day in the lot across the street. You will want to move your car the night before you leave if you have an early flight, as it does not open until 6:30 AM.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonathan K
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Visiting a friend at Bela's we landed in this oasis right before Semana Santa! Bela has opened her home and made us feel relaxed and part of the family. And indeed there is family! Manuela and Martin have beautiful daughters who help run the kitchen and keep order. My favorite was the grandaughter Melissa with whom I shared my colored pencils. We had wonderful meals for breakfast and 3 authentic lunches that Manuela made. Bela goes out of her way to suggest and guide in all ways. She knows where to get the groovy jewelry and how much $ to leave for tips. She has a great driver, Ricardo, who can take you to villages. It is all there. More than all that is her generous heart, and caring for her employees. I look forward to returning to family style. Thank you Bela!

Room Tip: I like the rooms with private bath...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
berkeley ca
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at Bela's. I can't say enough great things about this B and B. Bela is a great hostess with incredible knowledge about San Cristobal and the surrounding area. I had a small but cosy room that stayed warm despite the cold weather. The garden is beautiful and a wonderful place to relax. The kitchen/ dining area is warm and inviting. Manuela and her daughters prepare the best breakfast. I was lucky enough to have her lunch two days and it was the best food I had in Mexico. The guests spent a long time sitting at the dining table which was an added enjoyment. Perfect location- close to everything. I can't wait to return. Thanks Bela- you have created a comfortable and welcoming spot!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo