“Great Place”

Hotel La Media Luna
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This is a great budget hotel in San Cristóbal. It is only minutes away from the main square, right next to a section of the city that is permanently closed off to cars and pedestrians can walk up and down the street. The hotel is close to a bunch of great restaurants, and they also provide you with easy access to well-priced tours to various destinations around Chiapas. The rooms are clean and the property is well-maintained. I've stayed here twice for longer-term stays and have been very pleased with both visits.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris H

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Great service, lots of smiles, cute atmosphere and affordable prices. It is also around the corner from the main corridor with many restaurants, nightlife and shopping. I did love that it was close but not close enough to hear all the noise at night. I am totally going back there on my next trip to Chiapas, Mexico!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank keimona
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our bed was hard and unpleasant.
The staff was friendly and their breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Antilopekid
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Hi, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, but it's true, we are not the best and we do not pretend to be.
There are many hotels here in San Cristóbal with better lodging (and whose cost is much higher than ours). We are a low budget hotel and we make every possible effort to meet our guests needs within reason and to offer them a good service. We simply cannot afford the best quality in furnishing, but we try to offer a good deal (they are far from the worse or most economic) and it's very difficult to meet the needs of everyone: one day, on the same day, we had a person complaining the mattress was too hard and another person complaining the it was too soft.

Reviewed 30 June 2012

We were able to spend a few days on our last trip to San Cristobal and Posada Media Luna was the perfect answer for our family. We rented their apartment and it provided the right combination of space, practicality, and location. Close to all yet quiet and relaxing. The staff was extremely accommodating and ensured that all of our needs were met (most of the time without having to even ask). We met the owner on our last day and, like the rest of this staff, he was a very warm and knowledgeable fellow who managed to make a great stay just a bit better.
We are looking forward to returning to this wonderful city and spending more time at La Media Luna.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom apartment had a huge living space and kitchen, perfect for someone staying a while, wa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2012

A friend and I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel and I never had any complaints at all while staying there. It is in a very good location and is quite safe, too. Francesca, the owner, was quite helpful and answered any questions we had during our stay. One the day we departed I had left my sun glasses in one of the chairs out in the lobby accidentally. After Francesca realized they were mine, she had one of her workers, named America, bring them to me at the bus station 4 blocks away. I will definitely stay there again when traveling through the area and recommend this hotel to others as well.

Mayaruinsonly
Destination Expert - Guatemala

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Hola! I was a bit apprehensive to travel to Chiapas solo. Ended up at La Media Luna (LML) by sheer luck. The staff at the front desk were very friendly from day one. They have book guides that you can borrow for a couple of days to guide your way around. Only downside was that my room smelled a bit musty, but I left the windows open when I wasn't there and it was not a big deal at all. The rates were very affordable and the place felt very safe. I used this place as my base to go to other places in Chiapas, and kept coming back. LML is very close to the center of town, say 5 - 10 min walk max. Depending on how much you want to pay can get your own shower/bathroom. I chose to share, and save money; worked out perfectly well. Would I go back, hec yeah, Chiapas has spirit, and LML is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Back rooms are less noisy, bring earplugs just in case, although not that noisy I'm ultra sensit...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LeLuna
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel 5 nights on a recent trip to San Cristobal. We chose the hotel for the location and pet friendliness. We loved the location of the hotel as it was very close to the shopping areas and was fairly quiet at night.
I forget the room number, but it was on the lower floor at the rear of the hotel. Our window looked into a maintenance room, which was less than desirable. I did not, however, ask to have our room changed, so I guess in reality it wasn't such a big deal.
Because all the rooms face a common area, it can get loud in the morning as guests are outside having breakfast, surfing the web, or departing. The floors are all tile, so the sound seemed to reverberate. Perhaps an upper room would eliminate some of the sound issues we had. Other than that, the room was comfortable, we were warm and had nice hot water with good pressure.
There was a kitchen area on the 2nd floor which we were able to use to keep our pet's food cool which was convenient. The hotel offers a breakfast if it's planned the day before, however, we never saw anyone eating breakfast there. My only recommendation to this establishment is to offer complimentary coffee to your guests. It's a nice extra that doesn't cost much.

We liked this hotel and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose an upper room to alleviate some noise issues. Avoid room with window looking into maintenanc...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family