“***AVOID: awful service***” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hotel La Media Luna
Oaxaca, Mexico
“***AVOID: awful service***”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was, hands down, the absolute worst experience I have had at a hostel/hotel in all my years of travel. I actually could not believe how poorly we were treated, and would never stay at this place again or recommend it to anyone.

I realize that each person's experience of their stay at a place is subjective, and can be affected positively or negatively by many factors. For this reason, I believe that Tripadvisor is an important tool for people to use and to assess a place's overall value for themselves, with as much information as possible. Thus, I will give a full account of our particular experience - take it or leave it as you see fit.

My friend and I were to be meeting in San Cristobal for a few days, and as she arrived earlier than I did on an overnight bus, she arrived at the Posada before I did and was shown a room (apparently the last one available during busy Semana Santa dates). While the initial assessment of the room should have been enough to show her that it was not clean or even fit to even be rented, her limited understanding of Spanish and complete exhaustion from the ride led to her accepting the room and promptly falling asleep in the bed. Granted, we accept this as our mistake.

When I arrived, at noon, and told the receptionist that I would be meeting my friend and staying in the 'double room' with her, the woman told me that it would be 150 pesos more for me (when my friend had been told that the entire room was 150). A bit confused, as my experience in five months of travelling through Mexico was the rooms have a fixed price that must be paid regardless of how many people are sharing it, I accepted the payment. I was not given any receipt or record of payment for this extra charge, and when I looked at my friend's receipt to all appearances the room had the price of 150 pesos.

The room I was shown to, where my friend was sleeping, had no windows, a shoddy lightbulb hanging from the wall, barely any space to move, and the bed was two mattresses haphazardly stacked on top of one another. It was called (the only humorous part of this experience) 'La Gruta' ('The Cave').

From the beginning, I was shocked that the Posada - even during Semana Santa - would have the gall to rent this claustrophobic closet space for 300 pesos per night.

We left for the day. When we arrived back at the Posada in the evening (8pm) and sat down on our bed, we realized something: the mattress and floor seemed to be covered with small, granular seeds - something that may have fallen from the ceiling or been left by a previous guest. When I first saw it I thought it might have been sand from my towel or sandals, but after checking out the entire bed and room, we realized it was EVERYWHERE. In all of the sheets, even under the pillows.

The room had not been cleaned and the sheets had not been changed before my friend occupied the room that morning.

I promptly went down to reception - where a young man was now working - to ask him to come up and take a look. He did, and when I suggested that the room had not been cleaned and that we would have to ask for a refund, he promptly stomped downstairs and called the owner, and also asked me to pack my bag. When I told him that this would be essentially throwing us out onto the street as we had made no other reservation, he angrily shrugged his shoulders and said "well, if you don't like it..."

During his conversation with his superior, to which I was present, the man at reception told the owner that he believed we were lying about the room not being clean when we arrived, that we had made it dirty, and that he was going to give us back our money and ask us to pack our bags.

Obviously, the owner was not on the same page. After an extended conversation, the man hung up and - his tune having done a complete 180 - smiled sweetly at us and asked us to forgive the error - that the room had indeed not been cleaned since the last guest left. He then said that he would promptly move us to a different room (although my friend had been told that there was no other room left except the one she was offered???) and give us back our money.

I was flabbergasted. This is not hospitality by any stretch of the imagination. When a guest mentions an issue - especially with cleanliness - the reaction of the hostel/hotel should not be to ACCUSE the party of LYING, and then to threaten to kick them out. And I also am deeply disappointed that a place would rent out such a sub-par space to two young travellers for 300 pesos a night. Sure, it might be acceptable as a very budget option, but should be offered for MUCH less than this - and the staff should be sure that they are offering a room that has been serviced. The experience we had left a very sour taste in our mouth, as we felt we were being taken advantage of for being young.

As I said, I understand that everyone's experience is not the same, but overall, the quality of service we received here was so terrible that I cannot with any integrity recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank P H
la_media_luna, Owner at Hotel La Media Luna, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Let me begin by giving you my sincerest apologies for what was a difficult experience for you and your friend. Our philosophy is to treat all our guests equally and with great respect. We aim to help create a pleasant experience at Posada la Media Luna.

I feel the need to clarify a few things. We’re a small operation. A review like yours could sway the decision of future travelers, so I want to address your issues separately to ensure all readers know we have the best intentions for our guests.

First I’d like to acknowledge you had a negative experience and that we didn’t treat you as you feel you deserved. We are working on correcting this behavior so it doesn’t happen again in the future. Our employee felt defensive and didn’t handle his emotions professionally. We sincerely apologize.

Sometimes travel in a foreign country leads to miscommunications. I believe that’s what happened here. Typically our rate for that specific room is 125 pesos or about 9.00 US$ per person night with a slight increase in the high season (150 pesos or some 11 US$). Semana Santa is the busiest season of the year and most hotels double their prices. If I understand correctly, this rate seemed like too high to you.

When your friend checked in, our employee didn’t realize there were two people staying. He showed her the room for her approval prior to renting. He charged the one-person rate of 150 pesos. Confusion mounted on his part with your arrival, thus the 2-person occupation fee and the additional 150 pesos.

I’d like to address the “seeds” you found. We later discovered, despite the fact the room had been cleaned indeed, that we had a woodworm problem in that section of the roof. They must have become active (eating the wood) at the precise time your friend was inside resting. It’s a sad timing of events. We were not at all aware of their presence. They are harmless to humans and not contagious in any way, but certainly quite damaging to our roof. The room is closed off as we make the necessary repairs and fix the problem. The only other room we had was a 4-person room with two queen beds. This is a room for a family which is the reason my employee didn’t mention it initially. We charge more for this room but were very willing to refund all your money and give it to you and your friend as compensation for the difficulties you had at our posada. We wanted to correct our errors.

Mostly, I want to offer our sincere apologies, again. New readers may find this difficult to believe given your review, but we truly care about our guests and about our hotel. It’s our life, and we want it to be a wonderful and memorable (in a good way!) experience for all visitors. We have many return guests, because they are like family to us and vice versa. You clearly did not have a wonderful experience. I hope new readers realize yours was an unlikely and uncommon situation, and we are taking the necessary actions to prevent it from ever happening again.

Sometimes issues make an enterprise stronger. We will take this issue as an opportunity to create even better experiences and even better customer service for our future guests. We hope you would be willing to return one day, as our personal guest, to witness our efforts and see the changes we have made on your behalf. Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

It is a beautiful hotel, simple but very warm. The stuff is very helpfull and friendy, wi-fi was very good (which is a problem in Mexican hotels). They prepared owr laundry in just a couple of hours and it costed almost nothing. And of course the position is very very good. It is a cheap clean hotel with friendly people working there, I do recommend it!

Room Tip: all roos are good
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We (two couples) stayed at Posada La Media Luna from 18 to 23 February, and had a wonderful time. This hotel is very well situated for tourism around San Cristobal.
It’s about one kilometer due north of the bus station.
It’s on the street that becomes the staircase for Cerro de San Cristobal (the church at the hilltop).
It’s about 100 yards from the Mercado de Dulces y Artesanias (the sweets market).
It's 100 feet from the start of the main pedestrian street/walkway and all of it’s shops, bars and restaruants. That pedestrian street is called ‘Hidalgo’ south of the Plaza de Marzo, and ‘20 de Noverbre’ north of it. There are no fewer than seven beautiful churches within a kilometer of the hotel.
The rooms are clean, reasonably sized, and furnished with beds, nightstands, lamps, a TV, a shelfing unit that included a writing table.
Another happy find was that the WiFi was up every time we wanted it, and we never seemed to have a slow-down or disruption.
The hotel also has hot water all day - which is not the case in many other hotels in the area. The nights can be cool at this elevation, and extra blankets were provided in each room - but we never needed them. There are tables & chairs in the courtyard, along with a water cooler which dispensed both cold and hot water. The hot water option was nice for a cup of soup, or chocolate in the evening and coffee or cereal in the mornings, etc.
Both couples used the hotel’s laundry service, which was collected at the desk about 7:30 AM and returned around three that afternoon. The laundry costs were assessed by weight, and I found them surprizingly inexpensive.
The hotel offers breakfasts which are made to order, delicious, and inexpensive (but, remember that you must order them the night before!).
Although one never wants to have problems, when a problem does occure - the good places go out of their way to help...... We had some travel problems (with a sick member of our foursome). Francesca (the owner/manager) went out of her way to help us, and she turned a potental issue into the kind of story that we’ll joke about in years to come. Francesca also gave us some good suggestions for the next leg of our journey and contacted a friend in the transportation business (a very nice man named Julio) to shuttle us to our next stop. He was a great guide, very knowlegable and the perfect cap to our stay in San Cristobal.
If we ever get the chance to come back to San Cristobal, the place we’ll stay is Posada La Media Luna!

Room Tip: The beds sizes are more European than US. The Queen sized beds seemed closer to Double bed size...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Phil1ip
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at this budget hotel and have no complaints. Our room on the ground floor was clean, spacious and quiet with a good hot shower.

Hot and cold water is available on tap from the water dispenser I the courtyard.

The owner and staff were helpful and friendly.

Great location for the walking streets and central square.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayjay176
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is a cute, very basic place. The location cannot be better, and the owners are very helpful. I e-mailed numerous transportation questions in advance, and they patiently answered them all. During my stay, they made an appointment for me in Sergio Castro Museum (highly recommended) and arranged a taxi back to Tuxtla airport (one-hour ride costs 500 pesos, public transportation is much cheaper and takes about 1,5 hour).

I had a room upstairs, very simple, clean, rather big. I did not particularly like the mattress, but it wasn't uncomfortable. The room gets very cold by morning, there are several heavy blankets provided. Area is quiet during nights.

There is an on-site restaurant where i had breakfast twice (additional price, reservation needs to be made the day before). There are plenty of restaurants/cafes nearby.

Staff does not speak English, but if you ask, will gladly call the owners with any problem/questions.

I believe for the price ($33 a night, including taxes, booked on Expedia) it is a very decent option. I would be even happier, however, if the owner gave me the price indicted in the previous review.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NYAnatolia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

In fact, first I must say two positive things about it. The location is great, two or three blocks from the Central Park, and the price is low, 350 pesos or 27 dollars.
Now, I don't know why this terrible, uncomfortable, noisy motel, not an hotel definitely is number 7 in Trip Advisor ratings, I believe there must be several other options much better than here.
Old towels, cockroaches, early check out (11:30), and worst of all, you can't believe their mattress, which in standard hotels would have been dropped five years ago. I stayed in room number two.
I strongly suggest to consider other options if you plan to take a comfortable trip.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leon M
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Posada Media Luna is in a perfect location, on a quiet street just a half-block away from the centro's pedestrian-only street, with so many restaurants and shops. The owners are fabulous and they are very pet-friendly. We travel with our dog and it's hard to find hotels that accept them, and here they are welcomed. They have a nice kitchen as well to serve breakfast, and where we were able to store our cold items. The price is very reasonable for such a tourist destination, a truly beautiful city. The room was modest but comfortable and very clean. We'd definitely stay here again, and highly recommend it to our friends and fellow travelers.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple