“Quiet and cozy in the heart of San Cris”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal de las Casas
Sol y Luna Bed & Breakfast
New York City, New York
“Quiet and cozy in the heart of San Cris”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I loved so many things about Sol y Luna. Cisco was a great host and gave us top-notch tips on where to eat, what to see, and even the best ways to enjoy Palenque, where we were headed after San Cristobal. The room was lovely, with a comfy bed and an excellent hot shower. The location -- on a quiet residential street, pretty close to the market (which, being a foodie, I loved) -- made me feel sort of like we were staying with a friend, which is really the overall vibe of the place. (I was especially charmed by Cisco's two-year-old daughter.) Breakfast was fresh and filling -- yogurt, fruit, granola, local sweet rolls, and lots of great Chiapaneco coffee. Cisco was even kind enough to pack us lunch on the day we checked out, since we were leaving too early to eat a proper breakfast. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesley T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2013

In a grand old neighborhood of grand old homes, Sol y Luna stands out even amongst the most splendid of facades. I was strolling around Barrio del Cerillo when I first got to San Cristobal de las Casas, in fact, and had taken a photo of the stately arched doorway without knowing that this was the bed and breakfast I had been looking for. Upon entry one is greeted with a sunlit courtyard and the option of staying in either the "Sol" room or the "Luna" room. Being a solo traveler, I chose Luna, the smaller (yet still considerably spacious) of the two rooms. Both rooms are outfitted with extraordinary worldly possessions collected locally and from afar, and stacks of art literature to complement the cable TV. Both rooms also have private bathrooms. As a self-proclaimed bathroom critic, I can certainly attest to the decor, size, cleanliness, and ample water pressure of the Luna bathroom. And I never ran out of hot water, thanks to Cisco's (the ever friendly and cool expat artist owner) detailed explanation of how to get the shower to work with me.

Cisco runs the joint with his wife Dani, whom each morning prepared excellent breakfasts adorned with flowers from the exotic backyard garden. My first morning I was in awe of the smell and sight of a passion fruit flower garnishing my granola filled cantaloupe and Dani promptly began to explain the significance of this unique beauty. Later on, Cisco added, "and there are 80 different kinds!" His extensive knowledge ranged from flora to local lore and was particularly helpful when it came to tips on culture, how to do things, and where to get 2 for 1 Michelada's at an authentic dive.

Sol y Luna captured the spirit of San Cristobal de las casas in its energy and charm while also making for a tranquil sanctuary after a day at the bustling markets. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I can't wait for another excuse to visit this marvelous little town.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We arrived here and were awed by the collection of crafts from the area, the restored building around a courtyard, our room with blankets woven locally, and fresh flowers in bedroom and bath. Not small bouquets, but armloads of flowers. Cisco and Dani, the owners, served us an excellent breakfast each morning, and Cisco gave us details about where we should go or where we told him we wanted to go, down to how much we should expect to pay the taxi. Their home is about 4 blocks from the municipal market, 6 blocks from a huge craft market, and about 12 blocks from the zocalo. Taxis and combis abound, so you can easily go to the villages outside of San Cristobal. Dani and Cisco seemed to intuit how much we felt like socializing -- sometimes a lot, sometimes not. They have 3 small children and two cats, but there is a big heavy door to the guestroom. We visited in mid-March. The days were warm (maybe 75 F) and the nights were chilly (maybe 50 F). Cisco started and maintains a rescued orchid garden about a mile out of town. You can visit on your own or if you are lucky, he will take you there. I can't praise Sol y Luna enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

First time in San Cristobal de las Casas and we couldn't be more pleased with Sol y Luna. The place was lovely and Cisco and Dany were great hosts. In fact, Cisco's suggestions help make our trip to the region. We never would have stopped in the ruins at Tonina. And his suggestions for Palenque made it one of the highlights of the trip.

Sol y Luna is a great place to stay. Beautiful rooms, delicious breakfasts and and wonderful hosts. It's located in a lovely neighborhood in what is now one of my favorite towns in Mexico. I look forward to returning to San Cristobal and staying at Sol y Luna again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stubagus
seattle
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We felt like we were home again when we returned to Sol y Luna after three years. The addition of a private bathroom, with a second underway, was an unexpected and wonderful surprise. Sol y Luna remains our favorite place to stay in Mexico. The peace and tranquility there, helpfulness, respect for privacy, delicious breakfasts, and intelligent and knowledgeable hosts and their guests, and comfortable rooms bring a special and creative quality to the place. Forget it if you're looking for glitz or funk; Plenty of artifacts around and lots of help with directions. Good location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Oaxaca de Juárez, Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I've stayed with Cisco and Dany twice now, once in December 2012 and previously in April 2012. The B&B itself is lovely, and situated in a great part of town; a pleasant walk from the zocalo. The rooms are large and comfortable and quirkily decorated, both have little fireplaces and electric blankets for the cooler months. The bathrooms are large and clean and have ample hot water. Breakfast is always amazing. More than anything, I stay because I enjoy the insider tips that flow from Cisco's mind like water: day trips, hiking, adventures, orchids, you name it. This is my go-to B&B in San Cristobal.

Room Tip: There are two rooms: one is smaller with a queen-sized bed near the rear of the house (generally qui...