“Wonderful homestay with lovely family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal de las Casas
Sol y Luna Bed & Breakfast
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful homestay with lovely family”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights and loved it. The home is typical Mexican and beautifully decorated with antiques and art. Cisco and Dani and their children went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and welcome. The market was just a few minutes away and I bought fresh fruit and veggies and was even given use of the kitchen to prepare some meals, which was an added bonus. I would highly recommend staying here - as one reviewer mentions, you must love children, as they are certainly an integral part of the experience (and made it so enriching for me). This is one of the best places I've stayed during my many travels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Annie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights in April. The house was a typical Mexican home which was beautifully decorated with antiques and art. Cisco, Dani and their children were so warm and welcoming and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. I was able to walk to the local market to buy my own fruits and veggies and was able to use the kitchen to make a few meals, which was an added bonus! This is a lovely family - I would also point out that this is not the place for you if you don't like children - as another reviewer mentioned they are an integral part of the experience (and for me, made my experience that much more enriching). This was honestly one of the better places I've stayed throughout my many travels.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank annie h
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Sol y Luna is a very enchanting place in many ways, and we will definitely stay here again when we come back to San Cristobal de las Casas.

Cisco and Dani, the hosts, care about many details so that every guest in their house has a great stay. They take a lot of trouble to accommodate your needs.

We stayed 4 nights in a room with en-suite bathroom. The room is exquisitely decorated, exuding an artistic ambience. When we first stepped in our room, it felt like we were in a gallery. Add to this, the room is well equipped for the convenience of the guests. The bathroom is very spacious and has totally modern shower, washbasin and toilet. You get hot water all the time, and the water pressure is very good, which is rare in the old part of any Mexican town. The room has an electric blanket, which is very convenient for chilly nights of San Cristobal.

We also loved its location. It is located within easy walking distance to the center of San Cristobal de las Casas and its major attractions. Despite its central location, the house is in a quiet street, far from noise. Also the breakfast is delicious and beautifully presented.

What we most loved were their beautiful children. They are sooooo lovely and they made our stay very special.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank humble_drinker
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Well - I had a lovely stay in Luna - the room with such a comfortable bed - and - I always say that the one thing wrong with Mexico are the PILLOWS - but - merci - here they are perfect !!!!
I loved the bathroom - hot water all day - that is unusual - Cisco knows SO much about the area - where to eat in San Cristobal - this is SO useful + where to go .My first time to the carnival in San Juan Chamula - I will NEVER forget ! Dani is a dream lady - with 3 children she still manages an exquisite breakfast - pancakes , freshest fruits out of this world - freshest juices - it is all true !!!
Their place is 2 minutes walk from one of the most amazing markets in the world - and believe me I have seen a few - take the time to wander slowly through - it is ali baba - all the way . Also 2 minutes is the church of Santo Domingo with a museum - and outside - a wonderful market full of all the most amazing gifts you need to take home- all on your doorstep !!! ALSO this place is situated up high above the town and the air is much sweeter.
Lovely courtyard and garden to relax in - just go there - quick as you can .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Little Rock, Arkansas USA
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Sol y Luna is a fine place but what really makes it tops is the hospitality, contacts and local information that Cisco (from Los Angeles) and Danni (Honduras) offer their guests. I arrived solo with few specific plans other than to go to Carnaval in Chamula. Cisco told me about another great Carnaval in Coita and later hooked me up with an American guide who spoke the local Mayan dialect in Chamula. Sol y Luna is Cisco and Danni's home and they have two nice rooms. You get a sense of how a middle class family lives in Mexico. They have three small children and you do need to like kids because they are an integral part of your stay. This last week has been one of the most interesting I have spent in Mexico during 40 years of travel there and much of the credit goes to the hospitality I experienced at Sol y Luna.

Room Tip: My room has a private bath right next door and very close. That made the room a little cheaper but i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Stanford, California
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at the Sol y Luna B&B in late January 2014. Cisco and Dany are wonderful hosts. Cisco gave us many great suggestions about what to see and do during our 6 days in San Cristobal. Our room was very comfortable with a warming electric blanket on the bed and the breakfasts were healthy and absolutely delicious. Sol y Luna B&B combines much privacy when is needed with the charm of been within a family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We loved our four night stay with Cisco and Dany. Sol y Luna gives you a chance to feel what life is like as a local. The streets of San Cristobal are charming but narrow and walled off. You might wonder what lies within.

Staying here and you will find out. If, like us, you arrive at night after a long bus ride, you will be relieved to enter the wooden doorway and enter a lovely open courtyard. You might even look up and admire the clarity of the moon.

The rooms are chilly but you might not notice because of the abundance of art, books, the charm of the design and the inviting bed. But take a moment and turn on the electric blanket!

Showers are an adventure. Be patient and you will be rewarded with plenty of hot water for a glorious soak. Soft fluffy towels are provided daily when they clean your room and make your bed.

Breakfast by the lovely and saint-like Dany will be either Huevos Mexicanos, ripe and oh so tasty cantelope with homemade granola, thick yogurt and the local coffee or Cisco's delightful hot cereal blend. The last morning I ate too much but couldn't help myself.

When you see everything in the morning you'll be enchanted with the way the home is arranged. Plants everywhere, art displayed alongside local textiles... this is clearly the home of a happy family with an artistic temperament.

And all along you get Cisco - a character out of a Tom Robbins novel, to be sure. Full of energy, Pan's laughter, local information and a zest for life that is fun and sets you on a positive path each morning. Genuine interest in his guests, genuine desire for everyone to be happy, worth the stay in of himself.

And you simply MUST go see he orchids.

We miss this place already.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends