“Absolutely recommend it”

Villas Casa Morada
Ciudad de México
“Absolutely recommend it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We absolutely loved our stay. I cannot stress enough how much we loved our stay. We actually ended up there because of reviews we found here and we were a bit scared that we would be disappointed. We were not. The staff was incredible. Every room is different and we loved all three. Beautiful local decor. The bathrooms are great, really new and modern, extremely clean. We stayed with kids and they decided to light a fire in our chimney one night, one of the staff (Gaby, I think she's the cook) found branches for us and cleaned them and filed them so the children could roast marshmallows. I must say it is not exactly in the center of the town but the distance is walkable (6 blocks away) And it's closer to the Sto. Domingo Church, a must see in San Cristóbal. I think we payed 1380 pesos a night even for the suites with kitchen and living room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here for a week in November for business. I stayed in a junior suite on the second floor. My room looked out onto a small yard (across from the larger two-story suites at the back). I negotiated a rate of 1085 pesos per night (rack rate is $106 USD or 1385 Mx pesos). Breakfast was extra, about 80 pesos. Breakfast included fruit and juice and eggs made to order.

I enjoyed my stay at Casa Morada and found the management to be quite accomoodating. The hotel was virtually empty while I was there, with only a couple guests coming in and out during the week. There is not much English spoken here, so it's a good opp to practice your Spanish!

There are a couple disadvantages to this hotel. First, it is a bit further out than many other hotels. It's about 10 blocks to the north of most tourist attractions. It's a safe neighborhood, but it is a longer hike than I wanted at times. Second, the rooms are a bit on the cold side. There is not a lot of sun coming in the rooms, so it stays cold (like many buildings in SCLC) during much of the year. They provide space heaters and these help, but I found myself purchasing fire wood each night and asking them to build a fire in my roomt. Many times the fire wood is not quite cured, so you have to ask them to come back and bring the dry stuff. They do it happily however so it all works out. What else? The bathroom is really cold in the morning! This is true in much of SCLC, but for this reason I look for rooms that get sun ! The room next to mine had two windows and more sun, so I'd ask for that one if you could (upstairs, to the rear and to the right, sorry I dont know the number!).

Breakfast is pretty uneventful and for 80 pesos you can probably eat in town for that price. But it is convenient in their dining room--although very cold in the morning too.

Overall, I liked this place, but preferred the location of other B&Bs more. I also wanted a place with more light and warmth! The second trip I stayed at Bela's B&B and got more sunshine!

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank pyegirl
Yalava Labasa,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

We would absolutely recommend this hotel. From the moment we were greeted on arrival to being waved goodbye on our departure we had been treated like personal house guests rather than hotel guests. Beautifull artwork, great food and wine by a roaring fire with good English spoken by all staff. A 15 minute walk to the centre but an interesting one. I hope I can return one day soon.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Captain_Paradise
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed two nights and enjoyed the ambiance, peace and helpfulness of the staff. Really great.

• Stayed February 2011
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

we spent two nights at the Villa Casa Morada. The location is not right in the centre but still central enough to easily stroll to the central square and take the whole city in on foot. The old renovated colonial building is a charming home to not many hotel rooms. OUr roo, a juniour suite, had a little living room with kitchen and a separate bedroom. the living room opened up to the interior garden (lovely) and also had an open fire place that came filled with firewood. as evenings get quite chilly in San Cristobal, we had a fire on both nights. the whole place is clean and well kept. Staff are friendly. Fast and free wifi access in the rooms. Free parking in secure parking lot around the corner from the hotel. Overall no complaints about the hotel, very nice place, lots of charme and in a good location. I did have the impression though that there are many places like this in San Cristobal (and many more than listed on Tripadvisor) , so it is probably worth to look around and find an even nicer place for a better deal. As most hotels in Mexico, the Casa Morada was not really a bargain. A must to visit is the "Na Bolom" foundation, housed in a colonial building. The foundation promotes Maya culture and helps the indigenous peoples of the region. The complex also houses a restaurant (we had breakfast there twice - very tasty) and a hotel. I did not visit their rooms, but I would think that would be the best place to stay in San Cristobal!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kasibru
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

My husband and I live in San Cristobal and wanted a special place to celebrate our anniversary. The Villas Casa Morada was perfect! We had a delicious dinner in the dining room in front of a fire. The service both for dinner and at the front desk was impeccable. The room had everything we needed--extra blankets and a heater because the night was cold. And the price was reasonable for the quality. Beautiful bathrooms!
And all local artwork on the walls.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soyalison
Napa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2011

Absolutely charming suites with fireplace and separate bedroom with excellent prices, restaurant on premises, wifi, free internet, etc. Walking distance (about 10 blocks) from city center, near Na Balom museum/inn/foundation. Very accessible. Nice, helpful staff.
(Only problem - only one bed in bedroom. Other rooms - large, but not suites, have two, if you need them.)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends