“Magical Chiapas”
Review of Villas Casa Morada

Villas Casa Morada
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This review is long overdue, since we had such a lovely and unforgettable four days at Villas Casa Morada; four days I may add, that passed far too quickly for us. We were looking for a romantic place to stay and our wishes were fulfilled in every way.

This small colonial hotel is located in the quiet outskirts of the wonderful highland town of San Cristobal de las Casas, but is well within walking distance of many attractions and good restaurants. The suites are located around a charming well-tended interior garden in a semi-rural neighbourhood. As residents of large cities, we were quite entertained by the neighbourhood rooster and learned that roosters not only crow at dawn. This lead to much laughter and a few ‘chicken in the pot’ jokes.

We reserved the two-story villa containing two bedrooms with a nice balcony facing the garden, full kitchen and most importantly an open fireplace. In retrospect this was probably too large for two people, but we enjoyed rattling around in the large space nonetheless and I hasten to add, that we were given the option of a smaller suite upon arrival.

The bedrooms especially were absolutely charming, romantic and very cosy. The bedspreads, pillows, curtains and decorations were of woven Mayan textiles and were very attractive. The framed textiles on the walls added to the general ambiance, as did the painted fireplace. It did get a bit nippy in the evenings during our stay hence the addition of a space heater and the before mentioned fireplace were a welcome addition to a romantic evening and to ward off the chill, as were the cosy blankets. The many small touches, which added to our comfort and attention to detail, are what made our stay memorable.

The staff was very courteous, friendly and kept us well supplied with the all-important firewood. The apartment was kept very nice and clean during our stay.

We only ate at Villas Casa Morada once, on the morning of our departure. We had omelets with corn fungus, which was delicious. If we had known how tasty it was we would have had breakfast at the hotel every morning.

Our only regret is not being able to stay longer than four days as there is so much to see and experience in San Cristobal de las Casas and the surrounding Mayan villages such as San Juan Chamula. I can highly recommend a stay at Villas Casa Morada, as a visit to Chiapas is like stepping into a different magical world and memories of this trip will always put a smile on my face…

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Second_Self
There are newer reviews for Villas Casa Morada

Reviewed 21 August 2011

I recently visited Casa Moradas apartments on Tapachula again and was very disappointed in the total experience.
I first stayed in Apt. 3 for the first part of the visit and found it to be very poorly maintained. The worst problem was the bathroom where most everything was covered with mold. The cheap plastic shower curtain was impossible to keep free of mold. That was just the worst of the problems. First the front door was very difficult to open but nothing done to repair. Kitchen table chairs in very poor conditon with holes in all of them. Two lamps in the living room, both with broken shades. Just several of the many problems.
The biggest disappointmen was the staff. I found them to be very arrogant. I contacted them about the lack of hot water--they told me it was probably because I was late taking a shower and since all apartments were full, maybe no hot water. I told them I tried at 5AM and no hot water. They finally had a plumber check and big problems with the heater. They also told me my poor cable tv signal was normal. The cable people finally came and found big problems in the entire neighborhood.
And, you need to watch the charges. They tried to charge me extra because the month had 31 days. I told them their rates said monthly and last I new, a month was 28 to 31 days.
A big disappointment. My advice, avoid these apartments.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank RobertSDF
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed in San Cristobal for 4 nights at the hotel. It's AMAZING!
The whole ambiance was romantic!
The rooms are beautiful and very very welcoming! There's a kitchen in the room with everything you need for a nice stay. There's a wonderful fire place (1 batch of wood is free). There is a computer in the lobby and free WIFI in the rooms.
The staff was so helpful and nice.
It's a bit expensive but I truly believe it's worth it if you are on a trip which you spare no expenses :)
The only problem is the hotel's location. It's a 10 minutes walk to the center of San Cristobal which is very nice to walk in the morning. Coming back after a night out is not so convenient. I recommend taking a taxi (which is cheap in San Cristobal).

Room Tip: If you're on your honeymoon, let them know!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We really liked this hotel. It is in an interesting building that has been sensitively converted into hotel use. It was full of nice bits of furntiure and artwok and was relaxing and comfortable. the rooms were very clean and the staff, particularly Hector, were deightful. It was in a quiet area within a pleasant and easy walk to town.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We absolutely loved our stay. I cannot stress enough how much we loved our stay. We actually ended up there because of reviews we found here and we were a bit scared that we would be disappointed. We were not. The staff was incredible. Every room is different and we loved all three. Beautiful local decor. The bathrooms are great, really new and modern, extremely clean. We stayed with kids and they decided to light a fire in our chimney one night, one of the staff (Gaby, I think she's the cook) found branches for us and cleaned them and filed them so the children could roast marshmallows. I must say it is not exactly in the center of the town but the distance is walkable (6 blocks away) And it's closer to the Sto. Domingo Church, a must see in San Cristóbal. I think we payed 1380 pesos a night even for the suites with kitchen and living room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I stayed here for a week in November for business. I stayed in a junior suite on the second floor. My room looked out onto a small yard (across from the larger two-story suites at the back). I negotiated a rate of 1085 pesos per night (rack rate is $106 USD or 1385 Mx pesos). Breakfast was extra, about 80 pesos. Breakfast included fruit and juice and eggs made to order.

I enjoyed my stay at Casa Morada and found the management to be quite accomoodating. The hotel was virtually empty while I was there, with only a couple guests coming in and out during the week. There is not much English spoken here, so it's a good opp to practice your Spanish!

There are a couple disadvantages to this hotel. First, it is a bit further out than many other hotels. It's about 10 blocks to the north of most tourist attractions. It's a safe neighborhood, but it is a longer hike than I wanted at times. Second, the rooms are a bit on the cold side. There is not a lot of sun coming in the rooms, so it stays cold (like many buildings in SCLC) during much of the year. They provide space heaters and these help, but I found myself purchasing fire wood each night and asking them to build a fire in my roomt. Many times the fire wood is not quite cured, so you have to ask them to come back and bring the dry stuff. They do it happily however so it all works out. What else? The bathroom is really cold in the morning! This is true in much of SCLC, but for this reason I look for rooms that get sun ! The room next to mine had two windows and more sun, so I'd ask for that one if you could (upstairs, to the rear and to the right, sorry I dont know the number!).

Breakfast is pretty uneventful and for 80 pesos you can probably eat in town for that price. But it is convenient in their dining room--although very cold in the morning too.

Overall, I liked this place, but preferred the location of other B&Bs more. I also wanted a place with more light and warmth! The second trip I stayed at Bela's B&B and got more sunshine!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank pyegirl
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We would absolutely recommend this hotel. From the moment we were greeted on arrival to being waved goodbye on our departure we had been treated like personal house guests rather than hotel guests. Beautifull artwork, great food and wine by a roaring fire with good English spoken by all staff. A 15 minute walk to the centre but an interesting one. I hope I can return one day soon.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends