“Cosy gem”
Review of Villas Casa Morada

Villas Casa Morada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

San Cristobal can get chilly. This home style hotel offers thick quality linen, hot showers, fire places and room service from the generous restaurant below. Rooms have large couches, Chiapas coffee in room and kitchen facilities.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I recently stayed at Villas Casa Morada for four nights and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting San Cristobal de las Casas. My taxi driver had a little trouble finding it but all the locals we stopped to ask directions of were very helpful and we got there eventually.

The room I stayed in (#3) was more like an apartment than a hotel room. It has a separate bedroom with a little balcony overlooking the garden at the back, a kitchenette with a four seat dining table and a lounge area with a setee, armchair and an open fireplace. There's no air conditioning but they do have a heater in the bedroom which, along with the open fire, is more than enough to keep the place warm, even in the middle of winter.

The hotel is in a quiet residential area however only about 10 minutes walk to Real de Guadalupe which is one of the city's main restaurant and bar strips. I had dinner in the hotel restaurant the first night – shrimp tacos in a sea of sauce and a plate of cold meat and cheeses. Not great but OK for a hotel restaurant. The staff are very helpful and friendly, and overall excellent value for the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2011

probably the best hotel to stay in San Cristobal.
great service, clean room ,beautiful style ........we cannot ask for more

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank whitelis85
Reviewed 28 August 2011

This review is long overdue, since we had such a lovely and unforgettable four days at Villas Casa Morada; four days I may add, that passed far too quickly for us. We were looking for a romantic place to stay and our wishes were fulfilled in every way.

This small colonial hotel is located in the quiet outskirts of the wonderful highland town of San Cristobal de las Casas, but is well within walking distance of many attractions and good restaurants. The suites are located around a charming well-tended interior garden in a semi-rural neighbourhood. As residents of large cities, we were quite entertained by the neighbourhood rooster and learned that roosters not only crow at dawn. This lead to much laughter and a few ‘chicken in the pot’ jokes.

We reserved the two-story villa containing two bedrooms with a nice balcony facing the garden, full kitchen and most importantly an open fireplace. In retrospect this was probably too large for two people, but we enjoyed rattling around in the large space nonetheless and I hasten to add, that we were given the option of a smaller suite upon arrival.

The bedrooms especially were absolutely charming, romantic and very cosy. The bedspreads, pillows, curtains and decorations were of woven Mayan textiles and were very attractive. The framed textiles on the walls added to the general ambiance, as did the painted fireplace. It did get a bit nippy in the evenings during our stay hence the addition of a space heater and the before mentioned fireplace were a welcome addition to a romantic evening and to ward off the chill, as were the cosy blankets. The many small touches, which added to our comfort and attention to detail, are what made our stay memorable.

The staff was very courteous, friendly and kept us well supplied with the all-important firewood. The apartment was kept very nice and clean during our stay.

We only ate at Villas Casa Morada once, on the morning of our departure. We had omelets with corn fungus, which was delicious. If we had known how tasty it was we would have had breakfast at the hotel every morning.

Our only regret is not being able to stay longer than four days as there is so much to see and experience in San Cristobal de las Casas and the surrounding Mayan villages such as San Juan Chamula. I can highly recommend a stay at Villas Casa Morada, as a visit to Chiapas is like stepping into a different magical world and memories of this trip will always put a smile on my face…

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Second_Self
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I recently visited Casa Moradas apartments on Tapachula again and was very disappointed in the total experience.
I first stayed in Apt. 3 for the first part of the visit and found it to be very poorly maintained. The worst problem was the bathroom where most everything was covered with mold. The cheap plastic shower curtain was impossible to keep free of mold. That was just the worst of the problems. First the front door was very difficult to open but nothing done to repair. Kitchen table chairs in very poor conditon with holes in all of them. Two lamps in the living room, both with broken shades. Just several of the many problems.
The biggest disappointmen was the staff. I found them to be very arrogant. I contacted them about the lack of hot water--they told me it was probably because I was late taking a shower and since all apartments were full, maybe no hot water. I told them I tried at 5AM and no hot water. They finally had a plumber check and big problems with the heater. They also told me my poor cable tv signal was normal. The cable people finally came and found big problems in the entire neighborhood.
And, you need to watch the charges. They tried to charge me extra because the month had 31 days. I told them their rates said monthly and last I new, a month was 28 to 31 days.
A big disappointment. My advice, avoid these apartments.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank RobertSDF
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed in San Cristobal for 4 nights at the hotel. It's AMAZING!
The whole ambiance was romantic!
The rooms are beautiful and very very welcoming! There's a kitchen in the room with everything you need for a nice stay. There's a wonderful fire place (1 batch of wood is free). There is a computer in the lobby and free WIFI in the rooms.
The staff was so helpful and nice.
It's a bit expensive but I truly believe it's worth it if you are on a trip which you spare no expenses :)
The only problem is the hotel's location. It's a 10 minutes walk to the center of San Cristobal which is very nice to walk in the morning. Coming back after a night out is not so convenient. I recommend taking a taxi (which is cheap in San Cristobal).

Room Tip: If you're on your honeymoon, let them know!