“Best budget accommodations we've found yet!”
Review of Le Gite del Sol

Le Gite del Sol
Montreal, Canada
“Best budget accommodations we've found yet!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a great place to stay while in San Christobal. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and the included breakfast is an added bonus. The coffee is outstanding also. The place is close to everything, shops, restaurants and things to see... The wifi is also top notch here. Do go in confidence if you're looking to save money and still enjoy your stay thoroughly. Hope this review was helpful!!!

Room Tip: They have all types of rooms, we chose one with a private bath ; )
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marquestra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Montbrison, France
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Thank you for the both night, it was a pleasant house and very nice staff. The breakfast was also very good and everything clean. When we left the place to Guatemala, it was early and the owner gave us a breakfast bag, so friendly. Thank you for everything

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The staff does not get any friendlier than here, even though they only speak spanish. The owners are wonderful also, being there each morning at breakfast. A substantial hot breakfast of eggs and meat or a fruit plate with good coffee. The rooms are spartan, but always clean. Wonderful small balcony in my room to sit at and enjoy the town. Nice kitchen to use anytime, with WI-fi that works well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My son, husband abd i stayed in the hostel for 4 nights. Loved it! We left very happy. The room was always clean. We had a private bathroom and curtains lol. Someone mention that in anotger comment. Just a block away from everything. Overall a great experience.
We will be staying there in the future.

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I spent two weeks here at the beginning of March and I can't sing their praises enough on every level. Lovely friendly staff, excellent location (a 5-10 minute stroll to the main plaza), lovely clean bright room and comfy bed and wonderfully soft pillows, hot water, en-suite toilet and shower, good breakfast, and all for 200 pesos a night, breakfast included.

I have since moved to Ocosingo and the first place I stayed at cost the same price and was awful, had to move after one night.

At Le Gite you also have the use of the kitchen at certain times which, if you're on a budget, is great. Check if the owners are planning a meal though as its their kitchen too.

You can book trips and bus tickets from here as well.

Breakfast is taken in the courtyard which most mornings (unless its cloudy) has the sun streaming into it. There's also a roof terrace but it gets hot up there (a sun umbrella up there would be great).

I'm a female travelling alone and felt very safe here.

They also have another accommodation just across the road which I think may be a little bit cheaper and has shared bathroom facilities.

I think I've seen in past reviews some people complain about noise, I'm not sure what people expect as its in the heart of the town/city. However, by day its only normal town noise and at night it isn't noisy and I slept very well.

Room Tip: I had room number 1 which has a capacity of 3 (one double and one single bed). I think that three o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tequila P
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Denis and Adriana were amazing hosts. We arrived there at 6am after taking night bus from Oaxaca and we were offered warm tea which we desperately needed.
We have taken special pack which included 3 nights with breakfast and trips to Canyon del sumidero and palenque and it was worthy. Breakfast was simple and very tasty. We were staying in the main building in a room with our own bathroom. We had very nice conversation with owners who gave us nice tips. I would give the highest mark but since bed was not comfy mark is ltl bit lower.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Paris, Texas
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The room was very very basic without curtains and feels like you're sleeping in a garage or prison.
It was el gite 2 where I was staying across the street. It takes a while before the water in the shower gets lukewarm. Then after a minute or two it gets cold again. So quick showering here!
Also there was a strong gass smell in my room aparantly coming from the boiler three meters from my room. The staff seems very grumpy and only interested in selling tours. There are a lot of better options to stay in San Cristobal and I don't understand the raving reviews of other guests. Worst place I stayed in in Mexico during my one month trip. Nice town though.

Room Tip: At least avoid staying in El gite 2. Maybe staying in the main building is better and doesn't gi...
Stayed September 2013, travelled solo