“Great hostal”

Hostal Joan Sebastian
Basel, Switzerland
“Great hostal”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The location is perfect you are very fast in the centre with a lot of restaurants and shops. The bus station estrella blanca is very close you don't need a taxi. The staff and special the chef of the hostel are very friendly and helpful. When I stayed there it was very quiet, I think it was the low saison. I stayed in the dorm room it's good for budget travellers. There is not a lot of space for luggage. From the patio you have a great view of the church Santa Priska. The Wifi worked very well.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jasmin R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
São Paulo, Brasil
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The location is good. If you arrive with costa line bus, you can walk around 7 min to get to the hostel. The shared toilets are dirty. I arrived late night, and I got private room (200pesos), was ok. The dorm (160 pesos) was to hot, there wasn't windows. I stayed for another night, and the toilet was not clean for 2 days.
I saw the guy cleaning the room, and he didn't change the sheets, he just sweep the floor.

Room Tip: I got the room number 10, was ok.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank fsdive

Travellers are raving about these Taxco hotels

San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Hostal Joan Sebastian sounded like an inviting place in Taxco and it really is! It is the most amazing hostel you can think of! It is run by a retired doctor – Toño – who personally gets in charge of his guests. Toño is a fantastic host and goes out of his way to make you feel at home. He gave us –my two teenage children and me- such a warming welcome that we will never forget him! We arrived late in the evening (I had previously phoned him from Cuernavaca) and when we arrived he was waiting for us with the most delicious tequila I’ve drunk in Mexico!
We had booked a room for four people in spite of being only 3 because we wanted to have a private room. The shower was perfect (hot abundant water!). The room consisted of two rooms (one of them with a balcony) and a small bathroom! Everything was clean and immaculate. The kitchen had all the necessary stuff.
Something important to point out is that the photos shown by the hostel owner in the different websites really show what the hostel is like. They are not deceptive at all. .
Breakfast is rather poor if I have to be honest.
Location is good. In fact, the hostel is situated on a street called Joan Sebastian who is a famous singer in Mexico and a cousin of the hostel owner’s.
Conversation in the patio summarizing our travelling experience was most fun. You could not ask for more in a hostel!
I highly recommend staying there if visiting Taxco. The hostel is in a wonderful house, with different levels! It is worth a turn! Give it a try. You won’t regret!
We had the trip of memories in Taxco! Thanks Toño! I can't wait to return on my next trip to Taxco!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Betilu
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We traveled all around for 10 days in Mexico- going to several towns in and around Toluca/ Mexico City. By far our favorite place to stay during our trip was in Taxco- Posada Joan Sebastian. First of all the town of Taxco is a MUST SEE!!!!! The town is built on mountains and the cobble stone streets are up and down- down and up. We had the PLEASURE of meeting the owner on the Joan Sebastian- Toni who is a retired Dr/ surgeon. He was one of the nicest hosts we had met through our travels. He first of all greeted us with a history of the town and the history of Joan Sebastion and a welcome drink of our choice in his own home. He had wonderful staff and two of the cutest kids we have ever met- talented, well mannered and SO SWEET!!! His hotel dates back to his Father who built the Posada Joan Sebastion with a pick- pounding through the hard rock. Toni even said he was going to meet a friend of his the following day up on a hilltop and asked us if we would like to join him- so ofcourse we did. Toni stopped and got us some beverages and chips and we spent a wonderful afternoon with new friends and all the time feeling like home. In the evening my son and I found a magnificient place to eat on a rooftop which was literally right next to a church which was all lit up in the night and we had an awesome view of the mountains around us. It was a wonderful dinner and so relaxing. Coming home that night and back to our room- we heard one big thunder BOOM and it just rained and poured- we loved it and it was so perfect that we had just got back to our room before the rain hit or we would have been soaked from the storm- it was raining cats and dogs- we loved the rain and the thunder and it was a great way to end our perfect night. The next morning Toni's children came to our room and asked if we would like to have breakfast with them. We were happy to have a perfect breakfast with Toni and the kids and just talk and relax and enjoy. We spent the day enjoying Taxco. Toni told us of all the places to see and do. We enjoyed the cable car and enjoyed looking at all the silver- after all Taxco is known for it's silver. It is in history- if you are looking for silver- you MUST go to Taxco!!!!!! Toni is in the process of building an absolutely gorgeous rooftop terrrace and I can not begin to explain the views from the rooftop. GORGEOUS!!! Toni has also added new rooms and a dorm for college kids studying in Taxco. In the evening Toni and one of his children entertained us with beautiful guitar songs of history and the revolution. We talked- listened to music and felt like family!!!! The next day, we did more exploration of Taxco and went to Bar Bertha which is named after the ORIGINAL founder of silver, who also built the church and was the richest man in the city. This was also the BIRTHPLACE of the original margarita. We went up on the rooftop to have a margarita and looked out upon the plaza and the town. The day we decided to leave the Posada- we wanted to check out the caves there first. Toni insisted he drive us to the caves and drop us off. He told us to just leave our stuff in our room and go have a good time. He was not concerned about when we would check out of the posada. We took our time and when we returned to our room- it was clean, neat and our luggage was there in the corner. We were so impressed with the service- the owner Toni- the staff and can not say enough about our days in Taxco. We are still in touch with Toni via e mail and he can not wait until our return. We, as well can not wait to return to Taxco! Toni and his kids are now our extended family and we will be seeing him soon. He is the kindest man with a heart of gold and we can not say enough about Taxco and our new family there. Please dont pass up going to Taxco and dont pass up staying at Posada Joan Sebastion! We got our room for 400 pesos a night, which is 30 something US dollars. I got a really good exchange rate of 13 to 1 in Mexico City.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank georgesnonny
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 July 2010

What do you expect for 120 MXN (or 9$) a night? It was warm, dry and I was able to close the door.

I wanted to have cheap place to sleep, I found it. The owner of the hostel was very friendly, talked some english. There is also some free WLAN, if you ask for it.

After I arrived, he gave me a towel, soap and toilette paper. Just the toilette, I would not like to use. The shower and toilette were in one.

I slept in room with 6 other beds, but stayed alone. Due to renovation it was loud and smelled terrible after cement.

The location of the hostel was good, 5min walking distance to the central place.

As I said, good enough to stay for a cheap night, nothing more to expect for the money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank FabianMS
Cordoba
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The hostal's webpage states that it offers laundry service, internet, WiFi, breakfast included..... Nothing of this is included! The hostel is awful, bad attention, no breakfast included, neither WiFi nor internet service in the lobby. Rooms are very old and dirty. My room looked very dirty from a long time ago. Sheets did not look to be clean. It is the worst hostel I've ever been and I paid 350p for it!! DO NOT GO TO JOAN SEBASTIAN HOSTEL!!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank rmotrich
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights in private double room with private bathroom. It looks as if there are 13 rooms in total, but only 5 available as they are completing a major renovation on the upstairs rooms and adding another level. We didnt reserve, just showed up. The owner/manager did not tell us about the renovations until after we checked in. We were awoken at 8am by construction workers above our room making very loud noises. This went all day until 7pm at night. So no quite time during the day to have siesta if you wanted. When we checked into our room, the bins hadn't been empty from the previous guests (ie used tampons), and the sheets looked as if they hadn't been washed in a while. We paid 350p for our room. On the second night the owner told us at 10pm that they are changing water tanks as the current one is empty and advised us we cannot shower or use the toilet until 9am the next morning. He said we hadto go next door if we wanted to use the bathroom. I said it was not acceptable, so he provided a bucket of cold water to use to flush to toilet if we needed to go. He didn't not apologise for the inconvenience nor offer a discount on the room. He would of known about the renovations and the water tank and did not tell us or other guests of anything until he had taken our money. Another guest who we befriended during our stay was unhappy with the shared kitchen and bathroom as they were very dirty. She spoke to the owner asking for someone to clean it, he said no. She asked for a discount, he said no. They ended up having an argument and the owner insulted the guest and said he didn't need her and her business and that people would still come and stay there no matter what she thinks. Not a very good attitude for a manager of a hostal. In total we stayed there for 2 nights and our room was not cleaned once during our stay. The room we stayed in faced the shared living room with tv, which when used can be very loud. It does however have a great location, only a 5 min walk to the zolaco. But be careful of the stairs (100+) to get there.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple