“A good three stars Hotel”
Review of Hotel Balaju

Hotel Balaju
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Veracruz
Phoenix, Arizona
“A good three stars Hotel”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I red all others reviews and i'm still wondering if i was not expecting too much....
It's not near a real four or five strars Hotel.
I don't know what you will pay for it. Let's say it's a good 3 stars. Not more.
There is one thing that really suprised me: there is no information booklet in the room. So for everything you have to call (hours of the swimming pool or the buffet, internet code, ....)
The good: - New hotel
-clean room
- big room
- near the sea ( no beach in Veracruz.)
- a very good internet conection ( the first time for me in Mexico)
- a good breakfast buffet (8h-11h30)
The bad: - not near the center ( taxi or a 30-40 min walk... not recommended)
- a little noisy in the corridor ( bad door i suppose)
- tiny useless pool ( no sun and on the main road)
- Minimal fourniture ( or the room is too big)
- room service

To resume, it's a good basic hotel. Nothing fancy.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Djeggy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Alameda
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We were relieved when we were able to switch to this lovely hotel after check out of one of the dive hotels on the beach. The beds where comfortable, the buffet wonderful, and the staff very helpful. Wish we had started and stayed here during our visit. Would definately stay here again if we return to Veracruz.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeacenikAlameda
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This hotel has everything and the price is very reasonable.
Service is perfect, hotel room very clean and comfortably.
We loved the breakfast buffet which was included in the price.
The only drawback is that the swimming pool is located in front of the hotel
and that you get some noise from the street.
To conclude: you pay the price for a 3 star hotel but you get everything a 5 star hotel has.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laurenssimons
Grenada
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I can't say enough about this hotel.

It's not too big...but not so small that your every move is being observed by all.

The Service is excellent without being overwhelming as tends to be characteristic in Mexico.

The hotel restaurant was EXCELLENT. After eating there on the 2nd say of our stay...we simply couldn't find anything as tasty. It was indeed value for money.

My personal favorites were the huevos a la veracruzana and huevos divorciados for breakfast.

Lunch was equally delicious...I recommend their sea food.

The hotel has a little infinity pool overlooking the avenue in front which is relaxing and clean. The view from the pool is really nice I must say.

The rooms are large, clean, AC'd, Flat screen tv, Safe. Cleaning staff are friendly and courteous and one actually called before leaving for the day since she had not been able to clean the room for the day...my privacy was thoroughly respected.

I must say that the friendliness of the staff (There's one bell hop with green eyes from the Yucatan region) made the trip all the more relaxing and enjoyable.

In comparison to the hotels i saw in the area...Balaju was by far the best kept...Novo mar is bigger...but it is definitely an older hotel. Howar Johnson was right next to Balaju, and may be good depending on your budget etc...but I don't think I'd stay there with me lady.

In terms of location, we never needed to take a taxi...walked practically everywhere.

I hope to go back there for carnival 2011...I hear it's really nice.

Oh and i forgot to mention the sea facing balcony. I'd get up every morning and it really reminded me of home sometimes (the heat, view, and laid back feel). BTW I'm from Grenada in the caribbean.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank podiec
Toronto
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This hotel is outstanding. I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Mexico and this is by far the best. If it weren't for the all the Spanish being spoken on the TV, you could swear you were in a well run, modern hotel in the US.
I've never reviewed a hotel before but after reading the reviews on this site and then visiting the hotel myself, I felt that it was worthy of yet another five-star review. Unless you are the Paris Hilton type, you will not be disappointed and the only reason to bash this hotel would be to hope that the rates aren't raised.
I was looking for anything negative that could be said about this hotel and I really couldn't find much but here are my petty comments anyway. I wasn't able to reserve a room facing the water as they are 'fist come first serve' which I disliked. When we arrived we were able to get a room after asking if someone was vacating a room that afternoon that we could take. The thing that bothered me the most is that there is a switch by the door that turns all of the power off in the room(to conserve energy I guess) which is fine but the maid must have turned it off after cleaning the room in the afternoon. The reason this inconvenienced me is that I had my laptop running and when I returned after being out all day, I found that my laptop battery had died and that I had lost some somewhat important information - not a huge deal, just an annoyance.
Having spent quite a bit of time in Mexico and knowing the difference between a building that was actually drawn on paper before it was built and one that wasn't planned at all, I found that it was truly a diamond in the rough. I would however suggest some acoustic tiles in the hallway as people talking loudly can be heard in any room. Also I think the door in the bathroom opens the wrong way but that's just my opinion! :)
The only English that I heard was broken at best but this didn't affect me because my wife speaks fluent Spanish.
We paid 950 pesos for a king bed facing the water and it's worth it. Please don't raise the rates! We will be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EnigmaticToronto
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2010

This trip to Veracruz and this hotel was amazing it was like my first getaway with my girlfriend in 3 years, everything was great I really enjoy my stay here. I would say that the 3 days we stay here were beautiful and in peace.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anny8890
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We stayed here for four nights and it's a lovely hotel. The king size bed was very comfortable, the rooms were immaculate and well-equipped (hairdryer, iron, safe, etc.), and I especially enjoyed the "toilet paper" art left by the maid every day. :) The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, and we ate breakfast at the restaurant every day. Loved the Huevos a la Veracruzana! We had dinner there once too, and it was quite delicious. A nice view of the ocean from our balcony, and I found the hotel to be very quiet for sleeping, which is important to me.

We didn't try out the small pool off the main lobby but I thought it looked very nice!

If you have any interest in animals, definitely check out the little reptile zoo directly next door to the hotel. The animals are in clean, appropriate enclosures and are very well cared-for, and our guide was an enthused veterinary student named Fernando whose English was very helpful, as our Spanish is not good! :)

We thought the rates were a great deal.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple