“Beautiful accomodations, great location, wonderful staff”

Gran Hotel Diligencias
Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in Veracruz
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I typically stay in the tried and true hotel chains when I travel because there is always a comfortable amount of consistency, thus reducing the potential for a bad stay. However, when travelling out of the USA, I typically choose using two criteria...first, does it have a good rating on tripadvisor, and second, does it meet my budget.

I picked a winner when I decided to stay here. From the moment I walked through the entrance, I was feeling like I had moved up in the world. Fresh flowers were abundant in the lobby. The desk staff was tremendous and bi-lingual (and they were gracious enough to allow me to practice my Spanish...without laughing). After completing the check in process, an bell-boy travelled with me to my room. Upon entry he showed me how to control the AC (great AC by the way) and the television. The bed was comfortable, the room was spotlessly clean, and the room was quiet.

The hotel is located near the waterfront (close to the port...the beaches are a little further) and the Malecon. There are plenty of restaurants nearby (including those attached to the hotel) with most offering live music (typically marimba). There was plenty of fresh guava, fresh pineapple, and fresh coconut to satiate my fruit desires (all with sides of lemon and chili).

If you're wanting a great place to stay while visiting Veracruz, this hotel should be high on your list. The quality was fantastic, the service wonderful, and the price amazingly reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank finewine57

Reviewed 17 April 2012

If you're in Veracruz, and sadly many tourists are bypassing it, treat yourself to a splurge at the Gran Hotel Diligencias. Truly a 5* hotel. Free valet service - a boon if you're driving. Hotel didn't seem at all full which is probably why we reserved a regular room at $100 and were upgraded to a junior suite. Room had sofa, excellent desk, table and chairs and an enormous marble bathroom with a circular tub. Extremely lavish breakfast buffet (with excellent waiters serving coffee and bringing bread, etc. to table).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fls35
Reviewed 26 March 2012

What can I say, everything was perfect, from the beds to the towels and even included wash cloths something you don't often see south of the border. The staff was excellent, any problems we had were fixed in less than 5 minutes. I complained about the safe downstairs, then went to look at the ppol, and when I got back to my room there were 4 staff people waiting to fix the problem. Ditto with the french doors which we broke. The were back on track by the time we returns. Housekeeping was great, the soaps and shampoos good quality. Excellent in room coffee, ice brought to our room with just a call, And the beds and pillows were soft. It's almost impossible to get a decent pillow in Mexico even at a 5 star hotel. Friendly, efficient and kind. I was afraid to ask for anything else because it was embarrassing that they kept sending more things and people to our room. Everyone else staying at the hotel got the same excellent service. They let us check in early and gave us one of the best rooms overlooking the corner and the Zocolo. We could watch the Carnaval Queen doing her first parade the night we arrived, right from our room!!!! All this for less than $100 a night during Carnaval. Wow. Needless to say, we didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the Zocolo so you can experience the double pane rubber gasket windows...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ranger_lather
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here in two rooms with my kids age 10 and 12. Hotel was beautiful and staff gracious and very friendly (although we were the scruffiest people here). Our rooms on second floor overlooked pool and square with amazing double-paned windows. Could open to hear all the great marimba and other music every night of week or close to here nothing.

Couldn't speak more highly of this place.

Room Tip: Room overlooking pool
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Great location and the windows are well insulated for sound. Wifi actually works well from anywhere.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 26 December 2011

My husband and I stayed one night (November 20, 2011) at this hotel as part of a tour group. It was very conveniently located facing onto the square. This was a Sunday night - there were vendors selling local handicrafts in the square as well as entertainment in the evening on the stage in the square. Lots of local families milling about. Not too many tourists.
The hotel was very nice and the meals were very good. Staff were very courteous and efficient. Our room was very large, facing out onto the pool and the square and right next to the elevator but it wasn't too noisy. Had a nice Mexican colonial feel and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I liked this hotel. It's in the center of Vera Cruz in front of the plaza where there is entertainment in the evenings. You can walk to all of the shops and to the water front 2 blocks away. The hotel had a nice old-fashioned Mexican flavor. The restaurant was good, the staff was friendly. I would recommend this hotel if you're going to Vera Cruz.

Room Tip: Can't really say.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo