“Good food, nice restaurant”
Review of La Destileria

La Destileria
Ranked #85 of 1,107 Restaurants in Cancun
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: One of the best Mexican restaurants in Cancun. There is a spectacular view of the lagoon and a unequal ambience. The contemporary Mexican cuisine includes a variety of typical dishes and creations of the chef with authentic Mexican flavors. El mejor restaurante de cocina mexicana en Cancun. Espectacular vista a la laguna y ambiente sinigual. Nuestra cocina mexicana contemporanea ofrece una variedad de platillos tipicos asi como creaciones de nuestro chef con el autentico sabor mexicano.
Reviewed 11 April 2014

While my initial reaction was that this is a bit touristy, it was recommended by the hotel as a place that truly has some authentic food. They recommended the molcajetes, which were excellent. The rib-eye was very tender and flavorful. Great food, typical mariachi band walking around playing La Bamba. Don't get too caught up in the touristy aspect of it and just enjoy the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I've eaten at La Destileria many times over the past years and it never disappoints. The food is exceptional and the restaurant is very pretty and well decorated. The outside deck facing the lagoon is a great place to dine. At night the mariachi band plays for guests and they are fantastic.
Every time I go I order the same thing - the molcajete bowl. It's amazing!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Ive had better tacos for $2 than what I was served . I'd eat at Taco Bell before eating there again . On a positive note , we did enjoy Jaun , our waiter

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We loved The Distillery in Cancun! My husband, 2 kids and I spent a spring break week in Cancun recently and ate here. My only complaint is that there is no children's menu but we will still visit again!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our first night in Cancun we had a great meal here. Ordered the tableside guacamole which was excellent, prepared to order (asked for no onions) and fresh. The chips seem home made and very good. The star however was the molcahete, rich and flavorful and abundant. We got it with ribeye and split the meal. The meat was cooked to perfection! What a melange of flavors! We were excited.
They have an extensive tequila menu of course, and celebrate the history and tradition of this native drink, with a model of an old still featured prominently inside.
We had a premium tequila that was a true sipping drink.
Tonight we went back to try other dishes but were disappointed. The queso with chorizo came out cold and hard - twice. Should have been bubbling hot, suitable for scooping. The chorizo was little cubes and only fair in taste. My wife ordered a flavorful pork appetizer; the pork was good but it came on tiny, doughy tortillas that were so chewy as to be unpalatable. My chiles rellenos ranked about a 3/10 in my estimation. One was cheese-filled and good, but the other was meat-filled with what tasted like finely-ground beef stew, with potatoes and carrots. I did not care for it at all, but the sauce was good. Rice was bland with cubed carrots and peas like you get in a frozen bag.
We were pretty disappointed after the yummy molcahete from days before.
If you go, reserve a table outside on the lagoon. Inside you will find it hot and stuffy, very noisy with bad acoustics. Then the mariachi band plays and it is painfully noisy.
The service was very good and attentive.
I had wanted to go a third time to try the mole sauce, but after tonight we will not be back.