The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
  • Restaurant
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
5,813 results
All reviewswasher and dryerduna sports barstudio villainfinity poolfun teamla isla mallstarwood ownersheavenly spafull kitchensteak nightmall across the streetheavenly bedpersonal conciergeoutdoor mallpool conciergeswim up bartime share
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My wife and I just returned from this property where we renewed our wedding vows in the company of 17 family members. Overall, I would give the property a good grade. Here is the good, the bad, and the ugly:

The good
1. Location: The property is in a great location, conveniently located close to shopping and some really good restaurants. In addition, the hotel beach is amazing.

2. Pool: I really enjoyed the pool. It's big, very well kept, and it's easy to find chairs, etc...

3. Pictures: The resort has an on-site photo service. Lupe took all of our pictures and they are amazing. I highly recommend taking advantage of this offering.

4. Concierge: Sarah and Delfina are amazing. They helped us to organize every last detail of our vow renewal. We could not have done it without them. In addition, they recommended an amazing dinner experience at the Ritz, which was probably the best dinner i've ever had. I could go on for pages on how amazing, caring, and thoughtful they are. They are simply amazing.

The bad
1. Vacation ownership: As an owner, I advised two of my relatives to attend the ownership pitches. Unfortunately, neither pitch ended well. On pitch one to my sister-in-law and her fiancee, the salesman realized that they were unlikely to buy and ended the presentation doubting that I was ever an owner ("f he is an owner, then why isn't he in building 3?") and simply dropping them off at the pool instead of bringing them back to the office to wrap up the tour. Very unprofessional. On pitch two to my sister-in-law and her husband, my relatives asked about owning in Maui, which is where I own and the salesperson responded by giving my relatives all the reasons why they shouldn't own in Maui. I get that they are incentivized to sell their property, but it's not good business to talk badly about another owner's decision.

2. Checkout: I booked cash and points reservations for my family members under their names. For some reason, there were massive problems with check-in and check-out. This whole process really seemed to confuse the front desk, creating frustration for my family members.

The ugly
1. Construction: I wish that the property had more fully disclosed the extent of the construction. We stayed in building 8 and were greeted each morning by the chorus of construction. The front page references "renewal of the building exterior", but the construction is far more significant than that. Also, on our last day, there was construction above our room which left broken pieces of tile and wood all over our patio.

in short this property could be great. There are just some simple fundamental that need to be mastered to line up with the amazing location. Basically, if everyone cared as much and had as much attention to detail as Sarah and Deflina, then this place would be five star.

6  Thank Portlandhoys
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback.
We really appreciate you taking the time to post a comment of your recent experience with us; we are very happy to see that you enjoyed the facilities and the overall services that we had offered during your stay with us.

Although we certainly regret the problems that occurred during your stay, we would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to address these situations in order to improve our service.
Please rest assured that we have discussed your feedback with the respective managers and they will follow up in an effort to improve our product and service standards.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to the Mexican Caribbean!!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We traded our time share week at the Marriott St. Kitts for the Westin Lagunamar Cancun. The resort is really beautiful, well maintained and staffed. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. We had a 2 bedroom lockout which was great - 2 washers and dryers, extra kitchen supplies. There's tons of storage with built in closets and dressers. The kitchen is pretty well stocked and thankfully they provide dishwashing liquid, dishwasher tablets, new sponge, laundry detergent and toilet paper, which not all timeshares do. Bring a few garbage bags. There is free wireless internet, but it was very slow. We used the ethernet provided in the room and found it faster. The construction did not disturb us (they are removing tiles from the exterior and re-painting). The resort is directly across the street from the La Isla Mall which has several restaurants and Starbucks. My daughter did the swimming with the dolphins, which she really enjoyed. We didn't eat in the resort's restaurants - only lunch at the pool-side bar/restaurant which was very good and reasonably priced. The gym is very well equipped and clean. On our last day, we left our luggage with the concierge and stayed at the pool until 11am, then showered and got ready in the locker room which was very convenient. The pool is wonderful and the poolside entertainment was really good as well. My kids enjoyed the "Name that Tune" game and the Hula hooping competition. We would definitely return.

5  Thank scarsdalefamily

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar on your most recent visit to Cancun.
We are really pleased to see that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities; we can assure you, your comments will be shared with all the team.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to host you back in the near future!!

Regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2011

We spent a week at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun and loved it. The property was gorgeous and very well maintained. Someone was always cleaning and polishing. The accommodations were beautiful and very clean. It has everything you could ever want in a vacation destination. The people at the resort were wonderful from the bell hop to the concierge. Everyone was so kind and helpful. We would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank reid41999
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you have taken the time to write such a fantastic review from our property.
There is nothing that makes us happier than a guest that leaves feeling glad and renewed.
Please come back soon to visit us here at your second home in Mexico.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 August 2011

My hubby and I traveled with our kids 5 and 1 yr old.I chose this hotel because1.) this is the only hotel with a kitchen--- Since my toddler is still using baby bottles,i preferred one with a kitchen wherein i can prepare milk and wash the bottles.-- ,2) 95% good reviews. 3.)the photos from gallery look amazing! And yes,i did a best choice!! My stay for 4 nights was absolutely wonderful.
* The staff : were great .The doorman(Im sorry i forgot his name who worked between the hrs of 3-11pm from aug 21st -22nd Alberto maybe did an excellent job),the housekeeper/room keeper was definitely great too with 2 little ones our room is expected to be a mess but when we got back from any activity of the day ,the room was neat and organized .
*The beach area:nice and clean .lots of beach chairs/lounges.
*pool :we love the infinity pool.clean and beautiful! my toddler who used to be scared of getting into the water actually love it for the first time.
*restaurants: we tried to eat at the viento nothing really special but good enough.nice staff too .we had a room delivery which i believe food from Oceano ,it was also decent but served in smaller portion .
Room: love the set up of the room;i didnt hear any noise from the construction.We were on the 4th flr.=)
What I wasnt so happy about was the tour we booked on the best day travel .We went to Chichen Itza ,nice place to visit but then when we went to the Cenotes,I was disappointed with what i saw.It was dark and could hardly get good pictures.I knew that was not the Cenote that i saw in the pictures.So when I went home ,i really browse the Cenote that I wanted to see and it was the Ikil Cenote .And i dont know why were not brought to the Ikil Cenote.For the price of $212 US for tours of 2 adults, I dont think its worth the price.yes to the ruins but not that cenote where we went.I didnt get a chance to tell the concierge about this but we're hoping they could probably ask the agency for the tours about this concern .To those who are first timer visitors in Cancun,make sure when you booked this tour ask which Cenote are you guys going.and make sure its the Ikil Cenote =)
Overall,I had a great stay in this hotel.,Definitely will stay here again the next time we visit Cancun .And I would like to thank the staff i mentioned earlier. =)

2  Thank DVirginian

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking a moment to write a lovely review! We will certainly pass along your comments to our associates, and tell them to keep up the remarkable work!
At Westin we work very hard to make your vacation a great memory to remember.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Cancun!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Although this is a time share property and we did not purchase, this hotel is fantastic. All the rooms face the infinity pool that looks over the ocean. Very calming effect - staff was very professional and accommodating. Rooms are very nice, but the location is the real star....right across the street from tons of shops, restaurants and nightlife.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank maryd99
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Westin Lagunamar!
We are so happy to see that you had a great time with us.
We look forward to having you back on your next visit to Cancun!

Thank you again!!