“great place, perfect location”

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #9 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 September 2011

we stayed at the westin with friends in the middle of january. the hotel has the best location, across the street is the la isla mall. which has great restuarants, shopping and entertainment. the rooms were very modern and lots of space, the beds were pillow top and very comfortable. the service was also very good in all areas of the resort

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It is very important to us that you take home memories that you will never forget.
We hope to see you again very soon to enjoy another Westin experience.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (5,519)

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for a week in a two bedroom villa. The rooms very very nice and we didn't feel cramped at all. There was my wife and myself and our four daughters (15-26). One daughter opted to sleep on the sofa in the LR instead of sharing a bed but was comfortable doing so. Shower took a long time to heat up but there was plenty of hot water once it got up to the room.

The facility is undergoing a facelift so there were workers around the complex during the day with the associated noise. I didn't find it overbearing or annoying. Our balcony overlooked the beach and the construction area adjacent to our building. It was interesting to watch the daily progress.

It was the season for sea turtles to lay eggs and they would come up onto the beach at night, dig a hole and deposit their eggs. The Westin people would go out very early in the morning and dig up and transplant the eggs into a secure area. I found it admirable that they were taking these steps to preserve the turtles. Some of the earliest ones in their secure area were scheduled to hatch a few days after we left. It would have been nice to see the little turtles crawling out of the mounds.

The beach was very nice and well groomed. We walked at least a mile up the beach and the Westin property had one of the nicest beaches out of those we saw. Plenty of lounge chairs available on the beach but you had to be early to get an umbrella. And you had to almost campout overnight to get a lounge by the pool. As I find typical in this type of resort, there are rules against reserving lounges but staff does not enforce the rules. I spent several hours at the pool and most of the reserved lounges never had people using them.

We didn't have much need to deal with the people at the front desk, but when we did they were very courteous and helpful

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank porterkids

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort.
We greatly appreciate your comments about our Team and will be sure to recognize them.
We hope you have found a new "home away from home" and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Spent six days at the Westin Lagunamar from September 4 through the 10th. I had an absolutely flawless experience. Facilities are top-notch and the staff personnel could not have been more helpful or accomodating, Could not find fault with anything in my room. As far as construction, yes, it is going on, but for me it was so unobtrusive, that for the most part I wasn't even aware of it. This is the low season.... perfect for me. No crowds, no waiting, and no problem getting lounge chairs at the pool..... which is exquisite. Maybe I'm too easy to please, but when reading some of the dissatisfied remarks in some reviews, I wonder if maybe i stayed at a different resort. How do you find fault with elevator call buttons? Can you imagine what life is like for that reviewer? Looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank spring1903

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to post this review! We pride ourselves on creating personable and memorable experience for our guests. We thank you for your loyalty....it means a lot to us and makes us strive even harder to achieve our goals as a company.

We await your next visit !!!

Reviewed 10 September 2011

From the pickup at the airport to the drop off a week later, this was a truly enjoyable vacation for my wife and I. The concierge, Emma, became like a friend as she made numerous recommendations for expeditions and places to eat and visit. Went to Isla one day. It is very easy to do it yourself and not pay extra. Take the ferry over, walk North Beach, find a hole in the wall restaurant to eat lunch at and a thatch roofed beach bar to drink margaritas and you are all set. Catch the ferry back, jump on the local bus for 8 pesos and you are back at the Westin. The staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The view from our room was gorgeous, the ocean warm and the 2 infinity pools inviting. You can eat out all the time or take a cab to Walmart to load up on supplies for the week. Just depends what you want to spend. Check with the concierge for good places to eat. Dont forget to spend a day taking an inland tour of the large Mayan excavations. I cant say enough about the whole trip only hope you have as great a time as we did.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JND1

Dear Guest ,

We are delighted to have created memories for you here at our amazing resort. We look forward to creating more for you in the future. Thank you for you comments, we are very glad to know we were able to make your vacation exceptional...will be a pleasure to share your comments with Emma and the concierge department.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

This resort is stunning. Our first interaction with it was for a Starwood Vacation Ownership presentation. We loved the property--both its features and its rooms--and signed an agreement, but wanted to stay at the property within the rescission period to ensure we'd not regret our choice.

Within minutes of entry to our admittedly beautiful space, it didn't take long for a list of problems, most objective and a few subjective, to present themselves.

Disclosures: I have admittedly high expectations, especially as it comes to electronics (I work in IT), construction quality (after a few decades of exposure to my contractor-father's tirades), and user experience (I work for a digital production shop). I'm also hyper-critical all around, and visited through the lens of "so this is what I bought..." I wanted it to be perfect, but it wasn't even close. Let me explain...

Bathroom
This isn't Westin's dual-headed Heavenly Shower, but a single head instead, which would be fine if the shower worked properly. Temperature selection was practically ineffective. My partner couldn't get hot water for the duration of her 15 minute shower. I couldn't get cold water during mine. The knob is apparently quite fickle and needs coaxing/sweeps to effect a temperature change.
The shower was also very slow to drain, which caused a bathroom-wide flood and the use of nearly every towel we had to soak it up.
My retreat to the tub was a bit better, as at least there were two dedicated hot/cold levers. The jets worked well, but upon draining, I had noticed very many black particles, perhaps from the jets' lack of recent usage.
The toilet had two wall-mounted flush buttons. One wasn't linked to anything (no resistance), and the other needed to be held down for several seconds to flush effectively.

Electronics/telecom
Don't expect to actually *use* the free Internet service. Our wifi connection, despite being strong in terms of signal, was unusably slow, to the tune of 100Kbps down, very early in the morning. (I hadn't tried other times.) While this speed would've been useful ten years ago, the web is too media-rich these days for such a tiny pipe. Upon trying the Ethernet port to hopefully reach some level of usability, I found the port to be either broken or not live; perhaps they'd never patched it. (I used both their and my RJ45 cables.) I worried about throughput as, during our time spent in the SVO presenter's closing room, his presumably hard-wired connection was loading speeds at a trickle.
The TV signal, which is analog, suffers from a great deal of noise ("static") on every channel. Some are worse than others, but none are crystal clear.
Our A/C fan selector was non-functional. Cool air barely fell out of the overhead vent irrespective of Lo/Med/Hi switch position.
My alarm clock time had been set more than 90 minutes behind. I really wish I had noticed this before taking a nap shortly after my late checkin, as upon waking I thought I still had some time to order room service (which ends at 11PM). What a let-down it was to realize that someone's "small" oversight had given me the wrong expectation.
Lastly, and probably most minor, were the elevator buttons: someone decided a cool lavender-colored LED was the way to go for the buttons' indicators. They do look chic, when they're visible, that is--in the naturally-lit bright hallways during the day, it's impossible to see whether you've actually called the elevator or not. I hadn't realized this until I was on my way downstairs to check out a full two days early, but it was icing on the disappointing, sinking cake--clearly whoever designed the user experience of this property didn't take a comprehensive approach. The little things add up... but that's not to say there were only little problems.

Other issues
Both the room entrance and the lockoff doors (the latter of which separate the 1br & studio rooms from one another--ALL rooms have these I believe) are very 'thin' and do not in any way provide acoustic isolation. Construction from across the street was way too audible, as was our neighbors' social scene in their room as well as their friends' arrivals and departures from the hallway. Even when their party calmed, the TV was still audible. Hollow-core doors, really?
The nightstand lamps in the room have stepped push-button brightness switches. These do not work with CFL bulbs, as they're designed for incandescent bulbs. The result is a confusing user experience, e.g. two presses for on, third press stays on, etc. Not a huge deal, but another bad/confusing user experience.
Lastly, our refrigerator motor was a bit cranky and whined more than it should have.

Closing remarks
As a fresh-ink Starwood Vacation Owner, I'm very glad I took the opportunity to stay at the property before letting my rescission period pass. You can't fall in love with the pretty girl unless you talk to her for a while and see what's between her ears. This property is supermodel-pretty, but she's pretty dumb. I probably put the ring on her too soon, but am glad to have called off the wedding rather than having to deal with a divorce.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Dave C
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed review of our resort. We have taken your feedback to heart and have shared it with our team. We really appreciate your comments as it is very helpful in our efforts to continously strive for service excellence.

Please accept our sincerest apology for your disappointing experience.
This is certainly not the memory we intended for you to take with you. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please call he hotel at 52+998-8914215 and we will be more than glad to assist you with any thing you need.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Was one of the best hotels I have ever been to. Everyone was helpful, rooms were fabulous,huge and spotless. Pool was amazing. If you listen to their promotion talk you get $200.00 to spend at the hotel.

Room Tip: They upgraded us before we got there to a 1 bedroom. Go and hear the 90 min talk about their expansi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HagersvilleShrink
WLMGM, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review of our resort. We are very happy to know you
enjoyed your time at the Westin Lagunamar and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Cancun!

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We just got back from the Westin Lag. and it was a very, very beautiful hotel with outstanding views of the ocean! Emma at the Elite Concierge was AMAZING!! She helped us with everything and got us all settled in. One thing i should warn you about is the timeshare people at the air port, they just don't take no for a answer, so just say no and keep walking! don't even stop! Overall we had a great experience at the Westin Lag.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Westin Lagunamar. It was nice to hear that our concierge department exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Warm regards,