“Beautiful Resort - has slipped from a 5 star to 4 star, however”

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor
“Beautiful Resort - has slipped from a 5 star to 4 star, however”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This is a beautiful resort, with the best location, terrific features, incredible views, balconies that face the Sea, and with very nice employees. However, from our first visit in 2008, to our second in 2010, to this visit in 2012, the resort has slipped slightly in quality. It took repeated calls or visits to the front desk to get maintenance or housekeeping items addressed - some took 8 hours of repairs, some took 4 visits, and 1 was never fixed despite conversations with two Managers of the property. In addition, the furniture and rugs are beginning to show wear and stains that are not in keeping with a Westin branded property. Nonetheless, the positives still outweigh the negatives and I hope with the newest phase the property nearing completion that some attention will be paid to the sections that opened in 2008 so they can be brought back up to 5-star quality.

Room Tip: Any building except building 13, floors above 2 best.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank SpartanRob89
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2012

3rd time at the Westin Lagunamar and was once again happy with my stay. The studio is much nicer than a regular hotel room as it includes a partial kitchen, washer and dryer in the room. The views are spectacular and the infinity pool is breathtaking. The staff was very accommodating. I will return! Also, love the fact that is is directly across from all the shopping.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank beenyb8b
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback. We are very glad to know we were able to make you and your familiy's vacation exceptional. Please come back soon to visit us and we will a pleasure to make your vacation another great memory to remember.

Rossendale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We are coming to end (tomorrow) or our week at the Westin Lagunamar using a week of our Marriott Vacation Club membership.
Summary - this place is fabulous: superb room, very well maintained grounds and a wonderful staff who were unfailingly courteous, professional, polite and efficient. Very good value for money - especially as we were given a 20% discount on meals!
The main pool can get a little noisy with the various "activities" but the pool in front of the newer block is idyllic - you might be unlucky if there are another 20 guests there but the bar/food service is as good as ever!
Spa is being built hence lower rating but the beach massage was a dream!
The Mall across the road also has a good choice of restaurants.
Overall - can't fault the place - a wonderful week

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea/pool!
2 Thank Edenfieldskiers
Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar Resort and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Cancun.

Regards,
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I have visited the Westin Lagunamar Resort several times over the past years and have always found the staff and services to be excellent. We have just returned from a 2 week stay (May 1 - 15) and again found everything, from our reception to our departure, to be wonderful. Every staff member we had contact with left us with a feeling of welcome, from Isidro (a maintenance staff worker) to Ernesto Lopez and his fellow managers ( Pedro, Samuel and Abraham), the waiters and bartenders (Willie, Phillipe, Freddie, Jorje et al). I could go on and on; we really feel like family and every time we return to Lagunamar, it feels like we are coming home. Overall, our experiences have been wonderful!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter but have less water pressure and the newly opened section on the south sid...
3 Thank papa108
Thank you calling us family!! wow ! that feels so great!! We are extremely thrilled to have such a loyal guest like you. We will make sure all the staff members you mentioned are congratulated for their extraordinary service. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better please email us to lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Lithia, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had a wonderful time and can't really complain about anything. The service was great, the hotel was very well maintained as well as very clean. The mall across the way was perfect. Left there for Playa Del Carmen and wished we hadn't. Definitely hope to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you so much for a glowing review! We appreciate you taking the time to write a review fro our property. Next time you come to Mexico please choose Westin to creat vacation memories that last a life time.
Portola Hills, CA
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We were there from May 13th - May 20th & had a wonderful time. My husband & I had a 2 bedroom for the week, our kids weren't able to go, so we had tons of room. We were in rooms 675 & 676 that had excellent views from both balconies. The rooms were clean, we slept great every night, enjoyed the happy hour (a bit pricey), enjoyed both pool areas, but the newer area was a lot more relaxing & quiet if that's what you want. We asked the concierge for recommendations for restaurants & had them make dinner reservations for us each night which was great, because the restaurants knew which hotel we were from & they offered us a welcome drink & sometimes a discount on the meal. We took the bus to Walmart for supplies & grabbed a taxi back. We used the buses all week without any problems. We will definitely return to this resort, it's in the perfect location across from the mall which we frequented every day either to grab a coffee at Starbucks or to walk off a big meal we had for dinner. We only ate at the mall once, which was the biggest mistake ever, don't eat at Taco Grill, worst food we'ver ever had & when we were leaving we noticed the other people there left most their meal on their plate. there are so many other places in town to eat at & our very favorite of all was Harry's. Don't go home without eating here, it's definitely a winner, huge portions so you can share, we ate there twice. We had a really nice dinner at Puerto Madero one night (a bit pricey, but very good). We also had good food at Tacun & Habaneros. We tried Fish Fratango once & Tequilla Grill, OK, but nothing great. We were very disappointed in our meal at Cenecola which had come highly recommended by the hotel. We never had a problem finding a chair on the beach or at the pool. The wifi was very spotty, so you have to be patient, it did work out by the pool, very early in the morning & very late at night in our room & we were told the building we were in had the best connections, if that's true, I feel bad for people in the other buildings, that's the only negative thing we can say for the resort. The trip is what you make it, so go relax & enjoy!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 6th floor or higher for a spectacular view, we were on the 7th & it was perfec...
2 Thank dandydoodle
Muchas Gracias y saludos desde Mexico! Thank you and greetings from Mexico, we thank you for taking the time to post a review for our property. Thank you for choosing Westin for your relaxing vaction, we hope to see you soon again.
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I went on a solo trip....a get-away that was given to me by my husband and kids to relax for Mother's Day.
I went from May 5-9th. I have been to Mexico 7 times now. I travelled last to Cancun in '86, so much has changed in this spot.
My last visit to Mexico was April 7-16th with my husband just a month prior, to the Playa Del Carmen area ....

At the Westin....as other's have said, the lobby was small and crowded, and a bit confusing, but friendly at the entrance and the front desk. I was offered water....which was nice...a cocktail would have been a better welcome though....
My room was not ready until 4:30pm (it was 2pm when I arrived), so I changed in the locker rooms down stairs at the gym, stored my luggage, and went to the pool area.
I could not find a shaded spot, as all umbrella's were taken. Most chairs had towels on them, and only perhaps half were occupied. Towel game is played here, and early in the morning unfortunately. Many were looking for shade....so a few more umbrella's would help !!!!
Hint Hint
The main pool area is beautiful...the top portion has a kid's slide and mainly occupied by families. There is a bridged area, and off to one side an outdoor restaurant and bar/swim up bar. The infinity pool is wonderful. It was quite hot when I was there and humid, so the un-heated pool was a welcome.
The drinks at the swim up bar were very expensive compared to other spots we have travelled to. At 11-14$$ a mixed drink, just a bit much. I had a margarita, made very well, but because of the pricing, I had just one.
The service was friendly around the pool, and at the restaurant.
I had lunch there twice, again pricey, but convenient.
I purchased pre-made roll up sandwiches across at the mall (Isla) for the other 2 days I was there and a few drinks to bring to the pool area.
The beach was a bit rough....red flags ....but fun to jump waves close to shore. No palms on the beach, but there were plenty of open chairs ....some with umbrellas, and some palapas. All of the palapas were taken each day though....a few palms would have made it feel more tropical. to either side of the resort and a few more palapas.
The bathrooms were pretty clean, and outdoor shower area was also newer and clean.
The newer section also has a pool, etc. It was very quiet there, and again, just not enough umbrellas.
I had breakfast 3 times at the resort. I ate outside to enjoy the view....buffet was approx $24.00 Canadian...pricey again. a la carte...eggs, bacon, toast, coffee and juice, approx the same.
The wait staff were all very very friendly, helping me with my Spanish etc.
I used the gym once, it was nicely appointed, on the smaller side for the size of the resort. I wished they had a bigger area to do yoga. It was too busy during the day, so I went late at night. It is a nice cool room though, which I appreciated.
I rented two movies while there in the little convenience store down stairs. You can bring your own DVD's. Again...bit pricey, but it was a thoughtful option.
My whirlpool tub did not fill when I used it. Too bad, as it was a nice tub. The shower's are a nice size. The hair dryers supplied were powerful, and there were soaps and shampoo's

I had a queen suite, overlooking the older section. When I say older...it is still "newer" looking though. I saw the ocean and pool and sat on the balcony a few times...small, two chairs and a wee table....but nice.
The queen suite has a washer and dryer, small kitchen with small fridge, dishwasher and stove top....and well equipped from blenders, to toasters. The pull out sofa was very worn and stained. The area rug was also stained. There were two chairs and a small round table as well. The room was on the smaller side, but the finishes were very nice and modern. Just needed a bit of repairing and replacing here and there. I found the bed to be comfortable.

The dinners were just too expensive. For instance, the Mexican theme night was approx. $45.00 to $50.00 pp and did not include any alcohol...not even a glass of wine.
I dined across the street at the Isla shopping mall most nights....open air shopping mall...higher end stores...Elephante was wonderful....Indian....and I also went to Star Bucks for coffee and my other breakfast. I walked to one of the other malls....approx. 10 min. or so away...on a cooler day would be a breeze, but on the hot day I walked...phew...lol...got a city bus on the way back...easy peasy.

I went to the Time Share meeting while there....this is where the1 star is really lacking...I was told by my concierge that the meeting would not be longer than 90 mins. As I was only there for 4 days...and not a full 4 days, time was very valuable to me, as it is with most that vacation. I was there for 3.5 hours. The first gal, Claudia was very nice but her manager was very rude and pushy. The pressure that I felt to purchase was just awful. As I was there on my own, I told her that I did not intend to make a major purchase without consulting my husband. She was very insulting and incredibly rude. Oscar was the next person I saw, and he was very warm and friendly and was very professional. Without his save, I would have walked out of there with a very bad memory of Westin Lagunamar. We did purchase another trip from Oscar to bring out our family of six to decide next year.
The other staff at this property that I had contact with were all very accommodating and friendly. Even the vendors around the pool area were friendly and happy. I felt very safe here, and for a woman travelling on her own, I felt safe walking about the Mall, up and down the hotel strip and in restaurants. This part of Mexico has changed quite a lot since 1986, some good changes and some maybe not. Depends on what you like I suppose. I do miss the smaller Cancun, and the more authentic Cancun. It feels a bit like a Mexican Miami Beach area here.
This property is on the pricier side...but... if you plan right you can do groceries and cook etc. and do it more reasonably. I am not sure I want to cook the entire vacation though. Anxious for a second look at it next year:)

Room Tip: higher the floor, the more of the ocean you can see.....
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank trip-together
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank your for your comments, we work hard every day to give our guests an experience that will last a life time. We are very glad you chose to come with your family in the future.