The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #9 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed at the Westin for a long weekend and we were very impressed. The staff is very friendly and do a good job with english communication considering you're in a spanish speaking country. The facilities are great, there are several pools around the beach with plenty of poolside grills and bars. The beach is also nice, the sand is smooth and warm. The rooms are pretty much standard Westin rooms, a clean bathroom and a comfortable bed. A room facing the ocean is very nice. The hotel is also good with arranging day trips, they helped us set up a great day of snorkeling on the reef. The resort is also next to "La Isla", a shopping mall with plenty of restaurants and stores if that interests you. If you're not looking to leave the confinds of the hotel, rest assured, the place is structured for that type of situation. However, as with any hotel, food is more expensive at the hotel than outside. Overall, this is a very good resort, not much to complain about. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to vacation in Cancun.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean, you'll be provided a fantastic view. Try to avoid rooms loca...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Dear Guest ,

It makes us so happy to receive these kind of comments, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar as your Caribbean Getaway. We would love to host you again in a near future.

Regards

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We went to Cancun for part of our honeymoon. When we arrived at the Westin we were blown away. The resort is HUGE with several bars and restaurants, amazing pools and the beach was breathtaking. We stayed in a studio apartment that had a huge bath, comfy bed and a great view from the balcony. We were in paradise! that was until we were asked to do a time share presentation with NO PRESURE!.. HA! what a joke that was. We were offered 176 USD to do the presentation, a great deal I thought. The staff member said not to use them at the restaurants or for tours as you wouldn't get change but keep them and take it off your room charge- we were so pleased that he told us this and was excited to get the discount.

Time Share- We were assured that it would go for a MAX of 90 mins- it went for over 2 hours. The actual sales guy was lovely, very friendly and professional but as soon as we were handed over to his boss who closes the deal, everything went sour, she was rude, condescending, judgemental and extremely unprofessional. We were then handed over to yet another person trying to give us another great deal. We told her had we not just spent 20K on our wedding we might be in a position to do so and she questioned our sincerity! saying she didn't think we were ever going to buy time share! I was so shocked and surprised by this obvious passive aggressiveness I said I had to leave!

To ad insult to injury at the time of check out when we tried to use the vouchers to reduce our bill we were told these could only be used for tours and food NOT accommodation! even though we were specifically told we could! they said it was a miscommunication- The number of times we heard this during our stay it was a joke- how long is the tour- its 6 hours- NO its 12 hours because you have to drive 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back- oh sorry there must have been some miscommunication.

The resort is beautiful but the way we were lied to and treated just ruined the whole thing- we were going to extend for another 4 nights but after this quickly changed hotels.

we will never stay here again

5  Thank ollieandkelly

Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel consists of full 1 bedroom suites with separate bedrooms plus they have a lock off studio connected as a 2nd bedroom. the one bedroom has a full kitchen. both have washers and dryers. The hotel has beautiful pool facilities and has direct access to the beach. Do not rent a car in Cancun. Take the airport shuttle. To get around locally there is a bus stop right in front of the hotel, and for less than a buck you can go anywhere on the strip.
Walmart is about 20 mins away for your shopping needs. We took a taxi back to the hotel for about $12. There is a beautiful open air shopping center directly across the street from the hotel. We have actually decided that the property is so nice we will be going back.

Room Tip: stay in the old building. Every room has a view of the ocean.
1  Thank David L

Thank you very much of a super fantastic review !!! We are so happy and pleased to know that you and your family had a great time at our property. Please comb back soon to visit us at your new home away from home.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Clean ocean front beach resort. It's currently undergoing some work in some parts of the hotel, didn't affect our stay at all. It's very much so a family friendly resort, with plenty of kids activities. If you're looking for a quiet couples get away, this is probably not the best option for you. The beach is very large, with plenty of of beach chairs and palapas. There are two poll areas, one is extremely large with two infinity pools and a waterslide. The other is more of a "quiet" pool area with it's own littel bar area. There are fire pits spread out throughout the property, which makes for nice eveningtouch. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor the view will be better, or ask for a view of the ocean and onsite Mayan Temple...

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar Resort and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Cancun.

Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Let me preface this review with the fact I've traveled the world and stayed at countless hotels, condos, and timeshares. The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort is my new favorite bar none! Central location, luxurious facilitates, combined with a professional staff resulted in the near perfect vacation experience. Fine dining, daily scheduled activities for adults and children, reasonably priced convenience store, workout facility, business center, ATMs (US Dollars or Passos), adult and family oriented pools, enthusiastic concierge staff, direct beach access, spa services, and PADI dive courses available on site. The resort is centrally located in the Hotel Zone directly across the street from the large mall that hosts the nearest Starbucks. Transportation is easy, as there are numerous and relatively inexpensive options readily available (bus stop directly in front of the hotel, along with taxi stands). The villas were beautifully decorated. Having a full kitchen made taking the bus for less than a dollar to Walmart the obvious choice to stock up on necessities. The concierge suggested this option before we arrive so we packed insulated shopping bags. Grills are located in common areas around the property and the staff cleans them after you are done grilling. Tables adjacent to the grilling areas make it easy to eat there or return and eat on the villa patio. Overall, I can highly recommend this resort and I plan on returning soon!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MangoMinx

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for all of that wonderful feedback. We listen to every piece of feedback our guests provide us. Our highest mission is to provide the exact service and facilities that our guests want, deserve, and expect. Thank you for choosing Westin.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed Nov 16-21 2012. SPG Gold Member traded points from Bahamas to stay here.

Airport Transfer: I usually pre-book but decided to follow some Cancun form posts and just keep walking past all the sales people in the airport until you get outside. It worked fine, but the people inside will try ANYTHING to get you to stop. DON'T. They are trying to sell timeshares and excursions in disguise of offering you transportation to your hotel. 5 passengers with baggage direct van to Westin was $100 and return trip booked with them at the airport was $60. Was a little nervous paying cash up-front for the return trip but it was totally legit...you call 24-hrs ahead of your return and they tell you exactly when they will pick you up...nice.

Room: Very nice 1-bedroom unit, they cleaned it every day, very comfortable bed. Be careful though. Many reviews say ALL rooms face the ocean...our room 228 faced a parking courtyard. There appeared to only be two rooms on each floor that faced this way and the higher floors could probably see a side glimpse. Just be careful as I never questioned the room on check-in...once we got to the room and saw what the view was we called front desk to switch, but as you will see under Front Desk comments below, they said we couldn't move.

Pools: Very nice, good temp and very clean every day. They had these cool built in tile lounges IN THE POOL in about 6 inches of water...very nice infinity pool too. They give you paper pool towel cards at checkin to trade in the get towels and then you get a card back when you bring the towel back.

Beach: Absolutely wonderful, soft sand, cleaned all the time, very little if any seaweed, 80F water, very gradual slope out to sea so you go wade swim WAY out. Awesome. There are A LOT of beach vendors selling jewelry and some were very aggressive in that they would PUT the jewelry on my wife and kids and then leave and then come back in 15 minutes and want you to pay. If you are stern then they won't do that. I bought some to support the "small vendors" but others came and did the same thing the next day. I guess you just have to be VERY firm. They had jet skis to rent and parasailing right next the the hotel beach. Asking price was $60 per person for parasail and $70 per jet ski for 1/2-hr. We got them down to $50 for parasail and $50 for 1/2-hr of jet ski. No issues with the scam of "you damaged the jet ski and owe" or "you brought it back 5 mins late and owe" that I've read about.

Food: Pretty decent food at the hotel. Oceano is the nice restaurant and they have an outdoor pool restaurant + they just opened a sports bar. Portions were REALLY big so we learned to start "sharing" after the first day. Prices are pretty steep as we read. Definitely hit the grocery store and stock up on breakfast and snack items to save some $$$. Offsite, had GREAT Mexican food at La Destileria (10 min walk from hotel) and had the BEST steak dinner we've ever had at Harry's (20 min walk, but we took cab). You get a discount at both if you stay at Westin.

Drinks: WONDERFUL drinks, great selection and good quality. They do cost A LOT though. A really good grand marnier margarita was $15. We bought beer and brought to pool...they didn't care at all. Service at bars was good, at pool was decent too, and then I was shocked they actually had waiters come out to the beach at times also.

Front Desk: This was my only real complaint. First on check-in they seemed very disorganized regarding the # of people staying in our room and the number of days we were staying. I asked for a roll-away bed and the girl just kept looking at me. I kept asking her to confirm we were getting one. After a staring contest she picked up the phone and called somebody and ordered one...very weird. Then one we were checked in she wouldn't give us the keys but insisted on giving them to the Bell desk guy. Well he was very busy greeting other guests so we were basically just standing there in the lobby for 10 minutes. I went back to Front Desk and asked are we just supposed to stand here or can we get the keys and go to the room and have the bags brought up when he had time...she said no I can't give you the keys...once again very weird. As noted above, once we were in room and didn't like the view we called to get moved. Front Desk said NO, you are now in the room you can't move. Luckily didn't have to deal with Front Desk until checkout...but then I left 1/2-hr between checkout and when my airport transfer was coming as that would surely be enough time to check out. My family was in the room packing last minute things and I went to check out. First the girl said we had to be out of room to check out. I said I wanted to pay the bill while they packed the last few things. Then she demanded all the room keys and towel cards. Once again I said they were in the room and I'd bring them down after paying the bill. She then took my credit card and said it was declined. I said the try it again and she did and that it declined again. Now here's where the real fun starts. It's now 25 mins until my airport transfer arrives. I told her to please call the # on the back of the card and get a US rep on the phone and I'd get the charge authorized. Well she proceeded to push button after button on the phone and get nowhere. She repeatedly spoke in Spanish to her friends at the desk and tried different things and got nowhere. No exaggeration...this took 15 mins. Now I only have 10 mins until my taxi arrives. Then she handed me the card and said all the numbers were wrong and how else would I pay. I told her that was the only card I had so what should I do? She said you cannot leave until you pay and walked off to talk to her friends in Spanish some more. I grabbed the desk phone and turned it around a read the instructions written on the front and dialed out to the number and the back of the card and immediately it rang through and I had a person. After giving them all my info they said that NO charges had been declined. I called the girl back over and said there were no charges attempted...she then took my card and swiped it and it went right through! It's now 5 minutes PAST when my taxi was to pick us up and sure enough the Bellman is walking around asking my name and where's all my bags. Now HE was helpful and convinced the taxi driver to wait longer and RAN up to my room and got all the bags down there.

All in all it was a beautiful place and it was a very nice time, but the front desk left A LOT to be desired.

Lastly, upon drop-off at Cancun airport for return trip, there are tons of guys that want to take your bags and "help" you. I initially thought this was just a scam to make $$$$ but I let them take our bags and lead us in. I couldn't have been happier. The guy literally hauled all our bags to the check-in kiosk and then took all our passports and scanned them in, checked us in, printed our boarding passes and then carried our bags all the way up to the airline checkin counter. Then, he knew the guy behind the counter and got an "overweight" bag passed through with no extra charge. All of the for $10...well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor for better ocean view
6  Thank GoldenDoc
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our resort. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We will pass you comments to our Rooms Division manager to take immediate action and solve them. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Our anniversary celebration was a trip to Cancun,Mx. We booked the Westin Laguna Mar,11/13- 11/20, based on the favorable reviews in your site. This is the 4th & LAST time we book the Westin. We requested a really good room for our anniversary, what we were given was a room right by the linen area, and a 3rd floor with a very short hallway were there was some construction going on... We had asked for an ocean view, high floor, when we booked with plenty of time to spare. The a/c did not work well, noise every morning right by our headboard, as the linen area was right behind our wall. The WiFi did not work, the hairdryer did not, either. We looked for a nice bar with music in the hotel..there was none! When we checked out, we asked to speak with a supervisor, and we were told Dora was not available & would call us the next day. That was 5 DAYS ago! I am a gold member with SPG and am appalled at this service. This is the 4th time we've used the Westin, and the service has gone from excellent in Los Cabos, Mx. thru the years to bad to worse!

Room Tip: Be ABSOLUTELY certain they have your room requests, but really...choose another hotel : - ).
2  Thank Stephen L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay with us.Our property is undergoing some renovations that we are very excited about. We know you will love the changes We hope you have the opportunity to return to the resort and experience the enhancements. Please contact the Executive Office directly(lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) to provide and any further feedback .