“Third Trip Here!!”

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #11 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What more can i say... it was already the third here and i still can't get enough of it... it feels like a home from home, the rooms are beautiful but the most important point is the staff are polite and professional. This hotel is well worth a stay in it brings a new meaning to the word perfect.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lewis C
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty and for posting this nice review, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

The Westin Lagunamar Management

Write a ReviewReviews (5,589)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently stayed at this beautiful resort and it certainly met with our expectations. The studio is a bit tight though for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids however if you are going to spend most of the time exploring Mexico, then the space is not an issue. The washing machine and clothes dryer was a blessing for us...so much to wash n dry..it came in handy. The kitchenette is also very equipped...coffee maker, stove, microwave oven, fridge, juicer, peeler, knives, cutlery, pots and pans made our stay feel like home away from home. We could enjoy a home cooked meal when then kids were too tired to get out. It had everything you can imagine. The shopping mall is bang opposite the hotel so its a nice place to hang out. The local buses to downtown is also near to the hotel entrance. The church is just a few stops away and the local bus can take you there. Ordered food from Sports bar once, it was ok nothing very fancy. The restaurants are great I am sure but we did not try that. The tours are expensive but worth it if you really want to try. Since we were with kids, we only tried Xel-ha and Chichen Itza. Xelha the kids (age 2 and 3) were still afraid to do some of their activities. Day at Chichen Itza was rainy but managed to get up close to the Mayan Ruins.
If it is Cancun for you, stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean...so it is a treat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Meshell D

Dear Guest,
Thank you fo your review, nothing makes us feel better than knowing our guests left the property feeling better than when they arrived. Please come back to visit us soon here at your second home in the Mexican Caribbean

Warm regards,
Westin Lagunamar Management

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I just came back from a long weekend with my boyfriend. To summarize the stay was quite pleasant but would try another hotel next time.

Pros: The studio room we stayed in was large, clean and comfortable. The service was really amazing regardless of what I had read in previous reviews. Delia, one of the concierges, went above and beyond to comply to our requests. Everyone in the hotel was really nice and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised to see how great the service was in Cancun. The location is great! It's close to the downtown area where all the clubs are located and there is a shopping center across the street. We played tennis, miniature golf, went jet-skiing and had a couples massage session on the beach. The beach was absolutely beautiful! Although, most of the beaches in the Cancun Area are equality as breathtaking.

Con: The food was pretty bad and expensive of course. We paid $25 for a mediocre breakfast buffet. The poor food choices and quality might be an overall cancun issue... not sure. Mixed drinks aren't very good either... as they are trying to mass produce a lot of the drinks are pre-made. We spent about $300 in food and drinks in the hotel in about 2 days and it wasn't pleasant food and we barely drank liquor. Another issue we ran across is the hotel's shady practice as far as converting dollars. For example, we got two "Heavenly Massages" on the beach that was presented to us at USD $108 each session. However, they we went to pay at the reception we realized how the hotel shadily converts it into pesos and then back into dollars at a much higher rate scamming us an extra $25 dollars. We only noticed this at the very end of the stay, I'm sure they did this all along by selling us a price but actually charging us a much higher rate of conversion instead of honoring the dollar price offered. NOT COOL.

At the end of the day, I look back at a pleasant vacation in Cancun however, I will probably not come back to the Westing Lagunamar Ocean Resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie W
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to post this review; we can clearly see that you did not get the Westin Service we are used to give to all our valued guests. At Westin Lagunamar, is priority to exceed our guest´s expectations and to solve any inconvenience as soon as is possible. We would like you to kindly e mail us to: lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com to follow up on this and to have more information about your experience.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

June 12th-19th 2014. This was my first time in Cancun and I couldn't have picked a better resort to spend my time. Straight from the plane we found our transposition provided by the resort. It was a comfy clean Tahoe with A/C which was much needed because it is very hot. It took us about 25 minutes to get to the resort, from there we were greeted by the wonderful staff of the Westin family. They were so polite and exceeded all my expectations. You never know what your going to get when traveling but this experience was over the top. In particular Gerardo Vazquez an employee at the Westin was a great help and we quickly became friends. He knew our names in a matter of hours and seemed like he lived at the hotel. Lol. He pointed in the right direction for cabs, food, night life, everything we needed he was there. This place was very family oriented and had a great vibe. The pool never gets crowded and there are always beach chairs available on the beach. The food is amazing especially the breakfast buffet at Oceano restaurant. It's a mall across the street and shops all around the location. Cab rides are about 10min to the club are and they cost about $10. Overall this was great place to visit. We loved every minute and did not want to leave. We already scheduled our trip back for next year.

Room Tip: 500 building is right in the center.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patrice D

Dear Guest,
We loved your comment, thank you for taking the time to post it. That´s all our guests need to know to have a special stay with us and to enjoy the Westin Lagunamar Experience; it makes us happy serve and pamper our guests. Thank you for choosing The Westin Lagunamar for your vacations, we are excited to welcome you many more times!
Saludos from sunny Cancun

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Let me first caveat my review of the average service with that the service of the hotel ended on a high note. The average rating has more to do with the first half of our stay. My wife fell down some stairs on our last day of our vacation and broke her ankle. The hotel responded in a way that I did not expect and the level of attention and care they provided her was excellent. Within only a few minutes the hotel's emergency services cared for my wife and took her to the medical center. The hotel manager Ernesto showed genuine concern and even booked a complimentary SUV to shuttle my wife and I to and from the hospital in Cancun. I can not speak more highly of how the hotel responded in this incident. I would also like to mention that our driver to/from the hospital Alejandro was very kind! This man needs a raise! During the drive he showed special concern to not hit bumps so as not to disturb my wife's ankle. On the drive back to the hotel he even offered to stop at a store or a restaurant if we wanted food. Once we got back to the hotel he helped my wife and I back to our room.

During the normal course of our stay;however, the service at the Lagunamar needs work. The pool-side/beach-side service was not nearly as good as I have had at other hotels/resorts. At other hotels I generally see at least 2-3 waiters attending to beach food/drink orders, but I only ever saw one guy the entire week.

On one day my wife had requested that the pool concierge move a beach umbrella a few feet over so we wouldn't be so close to other strangers (the way it was currently situated our lounge chairs were almost touching the other party's). The pool/beach concierge told us we could either move or deal with how close we were because he couldn't move the umbrella. We had seen the concierge move umbrellas all week, but for some reason they refused to do it on that day. We asked two different pool/beach concierge workers who both said no. Finally were able to convince a third.

Another example of where I think service needs to be improved is when we checked in. We asked a bellman how to get to our room and he pointed and gave very unclear instructions (it's a rather large property and a little confusing to navigate on the first day). When I asked if he could simply walk us to the correct elevator bank, much less help us with our bags, he said he couldn't. Finally after a few confusing turns a very nice maintenance worker offered to help us to our room. In most resort hotels I have to shoo bellmen away because they are so attentive.

Our rooms were very nice and the showers were very large. We requested special housekeeping times daily, and they were also met. The food I think needs to be improved, and the room service menu should probably be expanded. However, we chose to eat out most nights so this was a minor issue. Concierge was very good and spent quite a bit of time helping us plan activities and make reservations. Rafael is the best.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, but we were not blown away. I think some of the issues are that the focus of the hotel is to become a residence only (timeshare) hotel rather than an open to guests hotel. Again, the hotel was very great when my wife injured herself, but lacking in day to day service by the beach and pool (which is where we spent most of our time). I'm a platinum spg member so I tend to have high expectations.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience and comments, we are delighted to read the nice part of your stay and your comments about service and lack of staff are well received and being taken care. This is why we appreciate and read every review from our valuable guests. If you give us the opportunity to welcome you again, with the changes and enhancements we assure you a truly, refreshing and relaxing experience with us at Westin Lagunamar.
Please feel free to contact the Management Team at: lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com for further assistance and future reservations.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Not usually a big hotel chain kinda guy. Had my 10 & 11 yr old with me, so I opted for something a little family friendly while having "The Must Have" swim up bar! The beach in front of the hotel is beyond beautiful. The food & drinks we're quite reasonable. The service was excellent. Room was nice. Downsides...... Pool was so warm it felt like swimming in a bathtub! Not at all refreshing. Watch out for elevators. Fastest doors in Mexico! I'd go again for a family trip.

Stayed: June 2014

Dear guest,
We are delighted to read your review, is very important to us to hear and read opinions of any kind from our valuable guests, thank you for choosing The Westin Lagunamar for your vacation, we will be waiting for you the enxt year!!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We spent a week there and had a wonderful experience. This was a timeshare exchange and felt it was one of the few that we got a fair trade. Top notch facitily and the staff was wonderful. Our ocean veiw was outstanding, and the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. The resort is very kid friendly. It is a bit far from the Cancun nightlife if that is your interest however for a family it is ideal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ksrdoc
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Family,
Thank you for your amazing feedback, we are always happy to help you and your family to have a Westin Lagunamar experience. Nothing is more important than knowing you left the property so happy. We know you will be back soon, please contact us if you need prior information or assistance.
Saludos from Sunny Cancun!