“Good hotel, unsafe night staff.”

Hotel los Girasoles Cancun
Ranked #96 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto, Canada
“Good hotel, unsafe night staff.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. The first week and a half was a great experience (clean room, close to everything, friendly staff - or so we thought). One evening we were told by another guest, who later discovered money had been taken from his room, that they saw the night manager in our room looking around while we were relaxing in the front garden. I returned to our room and realized that money had been taken from my wallet which I had left on the bed with our door locked (assuming no one would get in). Both the other guest and I filed  a police report against the night manager and the hotel. Although we did not see that particular staff member again, there was no effort to help the situation put forth by the hotel. We asked to see the videos and that request was quickly denied.
Besides this incident, we really enjoyed the hotel. It is a shame that one staff member ruined the stay.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank sisaq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Unfortunately I was not able to evaluate this hotel based on our stay, as despite having an e-mail confirmation of our reservation, upon arrival (weekday, 4 pm) no rooms were available. I incorrectly assumed the other posts stating this same problem were the exception, not the rule. Luckily, there were many nice hotels within walking distance of Los Girasoles that had rooms available. The quoted room rate via e-mail was higher than those displayed on the Los Girasoles web page. Do not assume you will get a room here if you make a reservation!

Room Tip: Show up early, so you have time to choose an alternate hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen B
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I booked a room two weeks in advance of our arrival. After a long bus ride and another long walk from the bus station to the hotel, we arrived, just to be told that there was no availability. I mentioned our confirmation e-mail from Carlos Delgado, but was only offered other nearby hotel options. Oddly enough, two women arrived while we were deciding where to go next. and they were asking about availability (in Spanish). I listened as I heard the clerk (presumably Delgado) whisper them a price. I immediately explained our situation to the women, and mentioned to Delgado that if there was a room for them then there should be a room for us. The women agreed, smiled, and drove off. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels across Mexico and have never had this happen. Bottom line? Don't count on your reservation. Stay at the Hotel Cotty instead. It's on Av. Uxmal, just a few blocks from the ADO bus station. The rooms are set back from the street, so it was very quiet. Large, sparkling clean rooms with colorful linens, fast (free) WiFi, decent water pressure, even a bathtub (albeit a bit stained). $500 pesos/night for two people. Oh, and Los Girasoles does not honor their Internet prices. Their website quotes a double for $400 pesos, but we were going to be charged $450.
Really . . . stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room? Stay at the Hotel Cotty instead.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bettcita
yacht traveling south
Reviewed 27 December 2012

This hotel is very nice, very clean, everything works, very quiet. They are constantly turning people away. With that said, if you reserve, you must make a deposit, or as others have experienced, us as well, they will sell your room if you are late. Great location - walk to bus depot, major grocery stores, Wallmart, etc. in minutes. Many restaurants very close. 450 pesos ($36) night during high season. Fridge, tv (nothing in English), wifi, four pillows per bed. Stayed for 6 nights. Make a deposit!!! Nothing compares in this area.

Room Tip: They are all very quiet. I had 14 on the top floor. It is a quiet neiborhood.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank palenqueno
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We booked 3 weeks before travelling. When we arrived at 9.00 at night with our three kids (as we had said we would) we were told there was no room for us. We received some limited help in finding an alternative hotel, which earns them 1* as it worked out fine for us in the end.

But seriously, be careful if you plan on staying here, as you might get an unwelcome surprise.

Room Tip: Get a confirmed reservation somewhere else :-)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bluetoffee316
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I suppose there are people who really love Cancun, and probably stay at one of the beach resorts. That is great for what it is, but I have to say generally I am not a big fan of Cancun.

What I liked about los Girasoles was that it was central (only five blocks or so from the main ADO station), but when you are there or on the streets nearby, it doesn't feel like you are in Disneyland Mexico.

It's a comfortable place, with nice, airy rooms, and a number of fun local restaurants and bars nearby (leaving aside the one with donkey saddles for barstools). Very affordable - I think it was 400 pesos a night when I was there, in April 2012.

Beware of all the Cancun cab drivers though - I think most of the ones I had tried to rip me off - "no, not the forty pesos that we agreed on for this (five block) ride, forty dollars!"

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank SantoGabacho
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed for one night coming back from Holbox. Room was functional - everything worked. And it was clean. Staff was very friendly, helpful and put up with my spanish. Mattress was average.
We were there Sunday so most of the restaurants were closed on restaurant row - ave Yaxchilan. However, La Parrilla had a buffet. It was comforting see a whole bunch of locals.

The place is a modest, safe and quiet property. They serve no breakfast. However, there's a very nice diner-type place within 2 minutes walking distance.

Would stay there again.