“Nice environment”
Review of Hostel Ka'beh

Hostel Ka'beh
Ranked #11 of 168 Speciality Lodging in Cancun
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Maybe I'm bias because I didn't really enjoy cancun that much. I just stayed one night and it was ok. The staff are friendly and helpful and the environment is good. The location is in downtown so far from beach which is like the only attraction I cancun. However it's close to ado bus station so it's a plus.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed 23 February 2013

If a true hostel experience is what you are looking for, look no further. This place is about a block away from Parque de Palapas, a great place for local music and events at night (lined with food shops from tacos y tortas, panuchos, salbutes, marquesitas and everything in between). The workers are very nice and full of useful information. Nightly activities in the hostel with deals for night life in the hotel zone as well. The best of both worlds if you are a budget traveler or wanting a good night life experience. Ka'beh in Mayan means "the day after tomorrow", which seems to be when everybody leaves. My husband and I came for just a few nights starting February 9th (was the plan, and also our first hostel experience abroad) and ended up staying longer, and now work here for a little while before heading down the Yucatan towards Central America. Come visit us, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelinRn_10
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Nice hostel away from the tourist madness that is Cancun. Only a block from authentic street tacos! Easy acess to the beach and bus station. I was using this hostel as a base between flights in and out of Cancun so I found it really convinent for a few nights stay as it was close to the bus to and from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FluentInFrolicking
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here a night and I was pretty happy to get out of there. The staff are very nice and very helpful it's the facility that lets them down. The place is really run down. Small cramped dorm with plastic wrapped mattresses that make a lot of noise. Smelly, no ventilation. It's just a bit unclean. Thank goodness they had open bar night because I needed a drink! The pics on trip advisor are very misleading!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Stagmouth
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here early June for a few nights. We arived late at night around 1am and were immediatly greated by the staff and some other guests having some drinks. They were really nice and insisted we stayed and had a few drinks with them. The rooms are all dorm rooms one is large with an attached bathroom the other smaller and you need to walk past reception to the other bathroom. There is A/C at night in all the rooms so they are nice and cool. Breakfast is served all day and there is no set check out time. The staff organise a drinking activiety most nights, or can help arange pickups and entrace tickets to clubs bars etc. Overall this is a small hostel were you really know every one there and the staff so it has a nice atmosphere. Remember its a hostel not the Ritz so here and there something might not be pristinely sparkling clean, but the rooms beds and linnen is all clean and fresh.
We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Small room, because the A/C keeps it cool, the big room people walk in and out more during the night...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophie Digby S
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed there for a night ten days ago, was too tired to look for other options so ended up booking it without looking at the facilities. One of the bathrooms was bearable, and the one on the large bedroom had very slippery floors and a skanky mat that I was trying to avoid (pretty much like everything else in teh hostel). To top things off, I overheard a very arrogant conversation between the owner and a sales rep, where the owner proceeded to emphasize that a devaluated Mexican peso was "great" for his business. I was very close to asking to have my money back and walking out, since I try to support businesses that have morals and ethics that agree with mine, but was too tired to even think about moving.

I am surprised to read the other reviews, frankly, they do not seem to refer to one of the diviest, skankiest hostels I've stayed at in my whole life.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Citlali C
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Thank you ka'beh - what a wonderful group of staff. I can't believe you organised a cake and barbecue for my birthday when I had only been here for one day. You guys are the best!

I can honestly recommend this hostel - very handy location near major bus terminal, great local food market and a very short bus ride to the beach. Its super clean yet still feels very relaxed. Really nice people work here and they know tons about the area and neighbouring countries if you are in need of any travel advice. I have been to a lot of hostels and this one is definitely a favourite. Can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty similar and great value. You even get a towel and free delicious breakfast
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo