“Paradise in Cacun”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife, my eight-year-old son, and I were at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach from 08/03/12 until 08/08/12. This was about our 20th time to the Cancun, PDC, Cozumel area over the last ten years, and this was at least our 4th time to this hotel.

CHECK IN

Fast. We got there about an hour before the check in time, but were still expeditioulsy checked into the best room in the hotel, room 338. What makes it the best is the size, the balcony, and the view. It was a master suite. I think there is a presidential suite that is considered even more luxurious, but I cannot imagine upgrading from this upgrade and getting anything substantially better than what we had.

BEACH

Nice, calm water. It is a little rocky, but in a scenic, good for snorkeling way. There are beach chairs and chairs under palapas, both free. And then there are beach beds available for rent. They come with a covered top, which gave some much-needed shade, a heightened level of service by the beach waiters, a big bottle of water, and some nice little fruit skewers and other appetizers (nuts, brownies, tiramisu squares) throughout the day. The best beach bed is #2. The fee for the beach beds was $50 / day.

There is some snorkeling from the beach. There used to be a really great reef there, hence the name. Much of the reef is dead, or otherwise destroyed by hurricances, but there are enough rocks and pieces of reef in the water to make the snorkeling worthwhile. The water is very calm, especially when compared to the beaches facing the open ocean (Ritz, Grand Melia, etc.). The calmness of the water is due to two things: (1) the beach faces Isla Mujeres; and (2) the beach is in a geographically protected cove.

ROOM SERVICE

Good, but very expensive. When facing the entrance to the hotel, there is a convenience store called Oxxo that is about forty yards to the right. I had our cab driver from the airport stop there first so I could stock up on water and drinks. I saved a ton of money that way, and the hotel is totally fine with you bringing in outside food and drinks.

HOTEL RESTAURANTS

Very expensive and not worth it, except for breakfast. It was less expensive and better food to take a cab into town and go to any of the local restaurants (Limoncello, Casa Rolandi, Lorenzillo's).

OVERALL SERVICE

Incredible. I mean, I did not ask for or expect this, but when you walk by a maid mopping the floor in the hall, she immediately stops what she is doing, and then stares at the ground until you have walked past. And then if you say hello, they look at you like they are on ecstasy. Like I said, I do not expect this treatment and almost feel a little embarassed by it, but they truly treat you like you are royalty.

POOL

Very nice lagoon-style pool. Not alot of loud wasted people, although there was on jerk that I am going to try to post a picture of. There are alot of Mexicans that go on vacation there, which makes for a more laid-back, authentic vibe. It's not like there are a ton of loud, drunk, Midwestern Americans annoying everyone within earshot.

ROOMS

Impeccably clean. Beds very soft and clean. Nice shower. AC could have been a little colder, but we were there in August.

THE BEST PART

Watching Hurricane Ernesto coming in from our huge balcony while a surreal cascade of camera flashes from nearby balconies came down.

THE WORST

The pain of $5 water and $300 dinner for 3 at La Basilica on site (only two glasses of wine, no appetizer, no dessert, had to dress up a little).

All in all, this hotel is the best on this stretch of Cancun, which is also referred to as Playa Bonita.

7  Thank gavelrapper

Reviewed 9 August 2012

If you think you are getting a 5 Star ***** treatment THINK AGAIN!

First of, NO ONE SPEAKS more than 10 words of ENGLISH in that hotel except ONE CONCIERGE employee who is Australian (and she is not there 24-7 obviously)!

We traveled with our 2 children for 2 weeks UNFORTUNATELY and we chose this hotel just to try something different and we REGRET IT 100%!!!

Both our kids picked up a bacteria from the food they ate on their kids menu the 3rd day we were there...When we needed help to take our children to the hospital while they were vomiting and had a 101 degree fever, NO ONE CARED TO LOOK AT OUR SITUATION AS AN***EMERGENCY*** SITUATION!!! We had to take a cab to the hospital while our kids were passing out in our arms and the hotel management treated our situation as if we were asking for extra towels or something!!! After taking our children to the hospital and got them all the medications they needed, we decided to cool them off later that same day by taking them to the pool around 8:00 PM...When the pool was closed at 9:00 PM (as if you are in an apartment complex), we came back to our room...Unfortunately, my husband slipped in our room as a result of marble floors and no rugs and his foot hit the 6 feet UNFRAMED MIRROR that was sticking out 3 inches from the wall and the mirror shattered in his foot!!! JUST PICTURE THAT IF YOU CAN!!! My husband's blood was gushing out of his foot while the pieces of the broken mirror was in his foot!!! I was besides myself! I was scared to death of what I was going to do!!! I called the front desk and screamed for help...I called the concierge and did the same...I pushed every button on our phone to get someone to come and help us...After 25-30 MINUTES 2 men showed up to our room while my husband was setting in the bathtub bleeding to death!!! One guy was taking photos (remember these people did not speak more than 10 words of English) and the other one was trying to push down on the broken glasses on my husband's foot (as if he was able to stop his bleeding by pushing in the broken mirror pieces)...After 15 minutes of doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR US, the camera man said we have a doctor in our hotel as one of our employees would you like to see him? (WHICH BY THE WAY WAS A TOTAL LIE since the doctor was NOT in the hotel and did not call us until 2 hours later)...I asked why the doctor didn't show up to our room instead of them? They said because we had to pay him $85.00 first!!! My husband is in fact a doctor himself and he sure knew how to fix himself up but unfortunately we had no first aid kit with us...So, once we got ZERO help from the two men that showed up after 5 calls I made to the front desk and all the other department, the men told my husband" You can take a CAB TO THE HOSPITAL"!!! I was OUTRAGED!!! it was around 10:30 PM and we didn't know a soul in Mexico so I asked" Can you call for an ambulance??" They said they don't do that in Mexico!!! Then I asked "Can one of you take him to the hospital and we pay you"? They said "Sorry, we can't"...CAN ANYONE WHO IS READING THIS IMAGINE WHAT WE WENT THROUGH IN THAT HOTEL WITH SUCH POOR SERVICES???? They didn't even assist him downstairs!!! No Wheelchair...NOTHING!!!!!!!So, my husband practically crawled downstairs...Got into a cab...and went to the hospital while I had to stay back with 2 high fevered little children!!! As my husband was on his way back to the hotel about 2 1/2 hours later, the so called "Doctor" called and said "I'm on my way to the hotel" and I told him not to bother (He sounded the same as the rest of the employees of the hotel...Not more than 10 words of English"...Anyhow....As we were smart enough to buy a travel insurance that covered us 100% up to 100K EACH in case of an emergency (included changing flights and everything else), the next morning I went to the front desk and asked to be helped with changing our travel plans (airline tickets) and come back to United States...WHEREVER the front desk clerk called, they said "Your travel insurance is NOT VALID in Mexico and you have to purchase a brand new ticket per person one way for $600 per person"...As I agreed for them to give me 4 new one way tickets, they said: "Oh, there are no seats available now...all gone" !!!....Imagine that!!! We spent over $6000 to be just in that hotel and look at the treatment we got! We were stuck in our room for the rest of our travel dates in our hotel room!!!! When I tried to get a hold of the general manager, he was NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!! 2 days before we came back (last week we were there) we heard back from him...Instead of him desperately looking for us, we were not allowed to talk to him as if we were looking for the "President" of Mexico!!! They took NO RESPONSIBILITY for their negligence (the 6 ft unframed mirror as you enter the room that could hurt ANYONE if they fall and hit it)...We had a package that included free breakfast and when we couldn't go downstairs to the breakfast buffet, they refused to deliver bagels and cream cheese with a cup of coffee to our room for free! WE GOT CHARGED FOR BREAKFAST in our room since I was not going to leave my family and go downstairs by myself! I used 2 tea bags in our room and one coffee bag and we were CHARGED $9.00 for 2 tea bags and a coffee bag!!!!

Now! If you don't mind being treated in a case of "emergency" the way we were treated, then pay the price for being there...I'm sure not everyone goes through this since we NEVER had a nightmare like this in our lives and we are World travelers... If we were charged $75.00 a night, we would accept the poor service since we would have gotten what we paid for...But...for a hotel whose cheapest room in $370.00 per night and claim to be a 5 Diamond/Star hotel, they did not and DO NOT give 5***** services...Not even 1 Star!!! Anyone witnessing what we were going through, would have offered a descent help!!!

The management is ONLY interested in YOUR $$$$$ MONEY!!! Their food is less than an AVERAGE QUALITY and they charge $20.00 for their smallest appetizer!!!!

I believe EVERYONE should know what we went through to know what they will face once they get to be in our shoes (God forbid)....I don't wish that for ANYONE specially those traveling with small children!!!!

39  Thank Doctor C
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We have stayed exclusively at this hotel in Cancun for the past 12 years - it never disappoints and we can always expect the same attention to detail as the very first time we stayed there. Their highly trained and professional staff always go above and beyond in service and making sure each guest is comfortable and accommodated. The guests are likewise all professional and "quiet".

Room Tip: We usually get a master suite but the regular jr. suites are just as nice - and absolutely every roo...
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband booked us a nice 9 days and 8 nights at this beautiful hotel. We had the Jr. Suite which included 2 double beds and an L shaped Couch so comfy my teenage son slept there almost every night. We had an Ocean front view of the beautiful ocean with crytal clear turquoise water. You could eve see the Island Isla Mujeres in the background. Lisbeth at reception desk was a delightful person. She gave us a room on the 9th floor in the newly renovated WEST WING! Carla at the concierge desk gave us a map and answered all our questions about the shopping and restuarants nearby.

Everyone is very pleasant but beware of the the tourism people who want to book you on a tour bus to see 4-6 sights in one day! It's a bit irritating when you have a couple kids (pre-teen and teenage) and you one to relax and plan one or two trips a day. The country is so poor that everyone is always asking to help book you something or show you a place for a cheaper rate so they can get they're cut from that particular business. We took a ferry to Isla Mujeres and snorkeled. The largest pyramid Coba was also well worth the trip. We all climed it including my youngest and made a family memory that will last a lifetime. There are some good deals to be had at the Mexican fiesta outlet so take a 5 min. walk and browse for some good deals. You can also haggle further down the road at the outlets across from the Hard Rock Cafe. Be sure to check the exchange rate because if you don't pay in pesos they often try to give you a lowere rate. For example it ranged from 12 USD -12.50 USD They would try to give you an exchange of 11 USD. The restaurants at the hotel are pretty expensive so try to avoid room service if possible. There is a KFC and pizza hut down the road but beware they serve jalapeno sauce with everything and the only chicken they have is legs and thighs. If you prefer white meat, order the chicken sandwich. The breakfast place at the hote is opan from 6am-12pm. It's pretty reasonable and the food is good but there are several people waiting on you and between three of them, they can hardly get the order right or bring the food to your family all at one time. Also, if your kids want to watch any of their cartoons on ANY kids network (Cartoon Network, Disney etc.) tell them to brush up on their spanish because THEY ARE ALL IN ESPANOL! The hotel claims they are changing that because of the many complaints so if you're traveling next year maybe your kids will be the lucky ones. Mine were not happy about that. Luckily, they were exahusted from swimming most of the day so they were tired anyway. The pools at the hotel are all the same height so if your little ones are over 4ft. they can swim or play there comfortably. Even if they aren't they have a couple of kiddie pools and fun water spouts. Overall, we had a great time and recommend the hotel but caution you about the tourism people who want to take you on a time share ferry and book you for several activities in one day. Also, watch your drinks and food because the waiters come by every few minutes and take your plates or drinks if there is a little left even though you may not be finished!

Room Tip: The hotel has 11 floors the 10th floor is for the exclusive grand club members. We stayed on the 9th...
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We (self, wife and two kids ages 18 and 10) stayed at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral from 7th to 12th July 2012. The experience was amazing. We had booked a Grand Club Junior suite which was worth evey cent. The room was spacious with a living area and an attached balcony overlooking the pool complex. The Grand club itself was excellent with a good variety of complimentary snacks and drinks all day long. Probably the best thing about the grand club was the staff - forever smiling and going out of the way to make sure that you get even more than you asked for. For all of you who are planning to stay at this hotel make sure you book with grand club access because without it you'll be missing out on one of the best aspects of this resort. The most incredible part of the resort however is the pool complex - I say complex because it is a chain of pools with three bars interspersed between them. My kids fell in love with the pool and it was a task getting them out of it :-) the breakfast was quite comprehensive and with the grand club you have the option to avoid the main restaurant and have your breakfast at the club. However the spread in the club is much smaller than the main buffet so it would probably make more sense to go down the the main buffet and have your breakfast overlooking the sea. Another highlight of the resort is the spa, they have the most amazing couple spa package which shouldnt be missed. Its a comprehensive therapy with a two hour hydrotherapy session followed by a 90 min massage. We had a great time at the Fiesta and strongly recommend it - we would not stay anywhere else during our next trip to cancun

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2012

TRULY AS GOOD AS IT GETS. Amazing service, clean, beautiful, paradise. Best Hotel in Cancun, and the spa is the best I've ever seen in my life. The breakfast buffet was enormous and delicious. I could go on and on. A bit fancy and not ideal for children. If I could make one complaint it is that it is huge and there is one elevator shaft which makes for long walks back to your room from the beach. Enjoy!!!

1  Thank Whitman12
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel for 6 days for our anniversary. When I first walked in the hotel I was disappointed becuase the lobby was very underwhelming, and in need of a major renovation. Luckily, most everything else made up for it!

Location: Its close to all the shops, malls,clubs and restaurants. We probably took a cab once and that was beacuse the restaurant wasnt walking distance. We went jetskiing one of the days (Which is right next to the hotel) and we noticed that none of the hotels on that side of the hotel zone had a great beach. Fiesta Americana had a BEAUTIFUL beach and plenty of chairs available. Make sure you get up early to get a chair if you want one by the pool.

Service: Top notch. The service here was likebnothing I've ever experienced. And Im a stickler for good customer service! I DO have to mention our last day there we rented a cabana at an extra cost and had horrible service. We waited over an hour for a bucket of ice for our water. Never got our dirty sheets changed (from bmess birds left), etc.

Rooms: We stayed on the westside ocean view ont he fourth floor. GORGEOUS! THe room was hug and stepped down to a small area with a couch. Very modern and clean.They were cleaned super fast and had turn down service every night. Loved coming back to the hotel room with classical music playing!

Food: We had free breakfast buffet deal and Im SO glad we did. The fresh squeezed fruit juice (including green juice) and hash browns were the best. I wish I could get the recipe, it was soooo yummy.

If we come back to cancun, this will definitely be coming back to this hotel. Can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: West side high floor
1  Thank P F