“Great 5 star resort!”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a wonderfl stay at this hotel. We stayed on the 7th floor and had a beautiful porch and view of the ocean. We did the VIP package so we had access to the VIP lounge which was excellent. They always had a great light lunch and dinner appetizers as well as a full bar so we started each night with a drink at the lounge and then headed out to whichever restaurant we were going to eat. The gym was OK, not a lot of equipment, but there are free weights, one bench, some exercise machines, treadmills and two recumbant bikes. We had the breakfast buffet every day and absolutely loved it! We ate all our dinners off site so we don't know how any of the restaurants are for dinner. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The staff was very attentive and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveleningqueen
Write a ReviewReviews (4,219)

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This place is awesome! I agree with the previous review that it "depends on what you're looking for"........we get enough "action" at home with our four kids, and we are not looking for a beach or pool "cruise party" atmosphere when we go on vacation. We find those type of resorts kind of annoying. We like to relax, have a few cocktails and enjoy lounging at the beach/pool in peace. Also, we like bringing the kids with us on vacation, and we are happy there is a kids club to keep them occupied with fun activities part of the time.
We are planning our next trip to Cancun in March and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The beach is awesome! We went to Hawaii last year and all I could think about while we were there is how I wished we were at this beach!! We love the calm, bay ocean, since it's easier to swim in and seems much safer for our youngest child to play in. Most hotels in Cancun are on the other side and have really rough water that can be tougher to swim in. If you like waves and a wide beach area with plenty of room to walk though, you might be better off choosing another hotel. This one is small but I like being able to get to the water and then back to my drink ASAP;) Also, if you are travelling during high season, and want a "no kids zone" you might be happier at a different hotel....This is one of only a few higher end hotels that is not "adults only" so naturally, there are going to be lots of families here. There are plenty of great bars, clubs and "nightlife" a short walk away so that may be why the hotel gets a little quiet at night. Staying here, you get the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Room Tip: Go for the Grand Club........worth it!! Includes complimentary food and cocktails at various times t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank SEM2014
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Took us an hour to reach the hotel from the Cancun airport. As soon as we walked in, we were greeted and shown the way to the reception. The person at the desk quickly checked us in and gave us a book they call a Passport. It contains approx 15 pages of coupons that are redeemable during our stay. It had coupons for free breakfasts, WiFi, one free drink any time during our stay, Free session of Hydrotherapy at the Gem Spa, Discounts for meals in all of their restaurants, Discounts on Water sports and on Car rentals. We made sure we made full use of it by planning what and where we were gonna go during our stay. The staff is very very helpul. They have a dedicated travel desk that can organise any tours you would want. We opted to go to Chichen Itza and a Cenote. The pick-up was right outside the hotel at 7am and they dropped us back by 8pm. The travel agent also booked us on a BOB (Breathing Observation Bubble) adventure. There are 2 poolside bars in the hotel. One of them is usually always busy and the other, not so much. This is an on beach property. The location is amazing! very close to allot of shops where you can get souvenirs. 10 min walk away from a mall. Just be sure to Bargain to get the best deals from these little shops. Definitely going back here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Radhika R
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed a week from 12/23-12/30, I was with my husband and two teen age kids. For us the hotel was kind of boring. There was no music playing at the pool, no organized games that most resorts have during a busy vacation week (like bingo, pool games, etc...), NO HAPPY HOUR EVER!!! This was really strange at every resort I have stayed at during Xmas week or Presidents week in Feb they all have 2 for 1 drink specials starting later in the day. There was no Hot Tub outside at the pool. The other thing that really bothered us is that this hotel charges you to use the gym per person/per day! This is outrageous staying at a hotel you assume it includes using a treadmill, its not like your getting a spa treatment. We complained and they waived the fee for us, but they really shouldn't be charging any of their guests to workout, just like they wouldn't charge to sit on a lounge chair at the pool or beach. Certain amenities are expected as part of your stay.

The positives of the hotel if you want a quiet vacation with not much happening then this is the place for you. The rooms were great they are big and they are renovated, the bathrooms are also big and the showers are great having a double spray heads. The staff at this hotel is the nicest staff I have ever dealt with from the front desk, restaurants, pool, & concierge. They are so willing to help you and always have a smile on their face and it is genuine. The beach guys set up chairs with towels for us and walked away without standing there like other hotels waiting for you to tip them. When coming up from the beach at the end of the day the clean your feet with water and a towel and put slippers on your feet. The grounds & the hotel are very clean, the beach is nice but there are no waves since your on the bay side which we didn't know, if you want waves then you need to stay at a different hotel. The hotel was just to quiet & low key for us and my teens, we like a hotel that is more lively when we are on a family vacation. If I was alone with my husband this hotel would be better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank monet11
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Beautiful hotel, all rooms have an ocean view. We came in early from a mission trip to Tizimin in central Yucatan, so had been 'roughing it' for a week and looking for some pampering - and did we get it at the Fiesta Americana. Beautiful property - resplendent with a towering Christmas tree comprised of 100 live trees woven into what looked like a 100 foot plus tree in the lobby. The food was outstanding - Le Basilie is an AWESOME restaurant with great service from a waiter that had worked there for six years. The breakfast restaurant had great crab and lobster omelettes and a smoked salmon benedict that was delectable - but service was very very poor.

We arrived at the hotel before noon, and they managed to not only accommodate us for an early check-in, but also upgraded our room. Maybe because they liked we had been on mission? Don't know, but it was a great start to our two night stay.

Best of all was bell captain Armando. He helped us with bags, brought them to room, and gave us a great resort overview. But then whenever he saw us, he would call me out by name, and trust me, my last name is not an easy one to remember. If he truly remembers all the guests he helps, that is pretty extraordinary, but certainly yet another pleasant touch to this classy resort hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg N
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I took the family, (my wife and 10 year old and 8 year old) to the Grand Coral over the New Years break. We have been to Cancun several times and picked the Grand Coral based on the ratings here on Tripadvisor.

First, the positives:
1. The staff. Very fantastic people. I can't say enough about them.

2. The Spa. If you are going to visit make sure you VISIT THE SPA! Amazing. I am not a big spa person but my wife talked me into it. Make sure you do the 2 hour "hydro therapy" prior to a massage. I only did one hour in the hydro therapy & regret it.

3. The restaurants were all great. The only complaint is the breakfast buffet is pricey at 350pesos each.

4. Cleanliness of the hotel. The place was spotless. There were staff all over cleaning all the time. There was no musty smell in the rooms at all.

5. Location. Great spot to go to other bars/restaurants.

6. Very quiet. Our rooms were fantastic. We could not hear a thing. The air conditioning worked great at night with a built in fan.

7. The beds were fantastic.

8. The Kids Club was fantastic. My children greatly enjoyed it.

The negatives:

1. Housecleaning. I tipped daily but on the last day, the only day we used the mini bar glasses, the next morning the glasses were put back and were wet. You could tell the housecleaner did not replace the glasses but simply rinsed them and put them back. Disgusting….

2. Pay for coffee in the room. Seriously? There was a charge to use the coffee for the coffee maker in the room. I know it seems like a petty complaint but c'mon, you claim to be a 5 star. Water is also charged.

3. The beach was fantastic but you can't walk more than 1/4 mile. There is a coral beach wall on one side and a dock on the other with deep water on the other side.

4. 350 pesos for breakfast buffet.

All in all, I would stay again. Lastly I would like to say, bring $$$ to tip the staff. These people work so hard and they appreciate it so much. I spent $150 in $1's and $5's for the week and I cannot stress how much they all appreciated it.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Tawas70
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were staying next door at a condo and was told by a friend that the brunch here was great. We ended up eating here 4 mornings during our week stay! The buffet had everything you could want, including an extensive Japanese selection. You can sit outside overlooking the pools which is pretty (albeit smoking). Service was excellent. After dining here, I would definitely consider staying here the next time we visit CAncun.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family