“Great vacation, excellent service and facilities”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #11 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Playa del Carmen
“Great vacation, excellent service and facilities”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

It was a short getaway and all I wish is that we had more time to enjoy the hotel, the amazing spa, and the suite, everyone was super friendly and the beach was just perfect. We went out to try lunch outside and returned the next day because it was better and you can´t beat the view, from all the hotels I´ve stayed in Cancun this is by far the best one, can´t wait to return again.

Room Tip: The huge terrace of a Master suite is private, the jacuzzi makes the whole relaxing experience one t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife, son, and I just love this place. It is a short cab ride from the airport, the beach is breathtaking, and the service is impeccable. After doing nothing but Playa del Carmen and Cozumel for about 8 years straight, we found this place 4 yeats ago, and I'm doubting that we'll ever venture south of Cancun again for lodging on the Mayan Caribbean.

Duration of stay: 7/21/14 to 7/28/14

Check in:

We arrived at about 6:00 p.m. Check in was fast, and we were given a reasonable upgrade rate to a room with a huge oceanfront deck and a great view. It was pretty fast. Others in our party arrived around noon and had to wait a little while for their room.

Ambiance of hotel and room:

Perfect. There is a very faint smell of flowers in the entire hotel at all times. The room and bathroom were immaculate.

Room service:

I speak some Spanish, but not enough to order with the particularity that I want to. It doesn't matter. The people that answer at room service are 100 % bilingual and always remember to ask you if you want the little things that you might otherwise forget.

Restaurants:

We ate at the indoor breakfast restaurant and at Isla de Contoy, the outdoor restaurant by the pool under the biggest palapa. The breakfast restaurant was the only bad part about our stay. The service was bad, and it took forever to get the check, even when asking for it right after ordering. They wanted to be helpful, but they were seriously understaffed. Room service for breakfast turned out to be a much better option for pretty much the same price.

Isla de Contoy is the restaurant under the big palapa on the east side of the property. Their lunch was delicious, if pricey (as was everything here), and was served with an incredible view of the ocean. The also have a buffet at night that way okay. The best part about the dinner buffet was getting a dramatically made (blue fire and alcohol) mayan coffee. I had never had it before, but it was very tasty and was certainly a dramatic presentation.

Pools:

There are four of them, each with its own bar. The pools and the pool area are immaculate, except that I saw alot of kids, and never saw a kid get out of the pool and walk toward a bathroom. Oh well, just take a good shower when you get out. Having said that, the pools always appeared and felt very clean. We thought they might be saltwater, as the water felt very soft and non-irritating.

Beach:

Not the broadest beach, but white sand and calm water, as that part of the coast faces Isla Mujeres. Some decent snorkeling from the shore. I fished on the far left of the beach and had a couple of hits that I missed and saw alot of rays and barracudas following my lure. I could have caught fish for sure there if I had gotten up earlier and / or had some sort of bait. They refused to sell me raw shrimp from any of the restaurants.

They guys that run the jet skis and other tours from the beach are jerks and way too aggressive about tipping for already exorbitantly priced services ($60 for 30 minutes of jet skiing that they try to make closer to 20 if they have a line).

Housekeeping / Turn-down service

They made our room hospital clean. We put the "do not disturb" sign on at night and kept it on until we had eaten breakfast and gotten ready. We called them and asked for the cleaning right before we went down to the beach / pool for the day. We did the same with the turn-down -- called and asked for it right before we left for dinner. Lots of free chocolates, swan towels, and other cool stuff.

Check out

Nice and fast, but the bill was painful. This place is expensive. My mojitos were like $13 apiece, but they were worth it. Do yourself a favor and go to the Oxxo to the right of the entrance to the property to load up on water and other drinks. I bring an empty duffle bag in the bag pack I bring on the plane. I have my cab driver from the airport stop me at Oxxo on the way to the hotel. I take out that duffle bag at Oxxo and load that thing up with bottled waters and beer. Then I use the cooler back packs I have packed to bring whatever I want to bring to the beach / pool for the stay. That way saves some $.

This place is a great hotel, especially for families. There are not alot of loud, obnoxious midwesterners at this place (you know who you are). The hotel is at least 50% mexican people, and they are very cool and laid back -- no loud drunk b.s.

Room Tip: don't get 351 -- right next to the gym -- louds sounds real early
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank gavelrapper
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I read reviews before coming to the hotel about people being charged fees that they did not authorize. When I returned back to the states, I discvoered that my credit card had been charged twice for the same transaction. I supplied the hotel with a copy of my "posted" credit card transation, which clearly shows the double charge, but the hotel insisted that the error was with my bank and not the hotel. We have disputed the charge of course.

With respect to the hotel, the views are amazing, and the hotel was very clean, BUT the rooms are in need of serious renovation. There were cracks in the wall sand counters, and patched holes in the rooms. Plus, my shower leaked all over the floor every time we bathed.

Finally, my biggest gripe with the hotel is the 30% tax they tack onto everything you purchase at the hotel. For two people, the morning breakfast buffet ended up being $76.00 (including tip). That's insane.

Save your money and fine a newer all-inclusive hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Maegan J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked this hotel because it was listed on trip advisor as being pet friendly and we arrived to Mexico with our 2 pound dog to be asked to wait outside until someone found a manager. The manager told us that it was not a pet friendly hotel and though he was polite we spent the next hour and a half or so talking to Orbitz to try and get our trip refunded.I might add that he brought us some water and the staff was also kind to us while we were waiting. The manager was polite and agreed to our funds being released to Orbitz but we did not get all of our money from Orbitz. It was disapointing - because we planned a family trip based on the information that was available on the site. We have instead booked and are staying at ME by Melia. Fiesta Americana Grand Coral appeared a bit dated on the inside, as a side note. The lobby was not as air conditioned as one would hope in the thick of summer. It was nice, but not contemporary and dated. It is a 4 diamond hotel but from the lobby alone it didnt appear to be so.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Terry C
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived at 11 PM and the staff promptly find a room in the 6th floor for us (we asked for a room in the 10th floor in our reservation). The key didn't work, in a few minutes they sent the security to help us, who opened the room. While we were inside our room, the security tried to fix the door for about 30 minutes. They couldn't.
The reception called us to change us for the 10th floor. We said ok. After 5 minutes they called again to change us to a master suite (better room), which was great. It could be a terrible experience, but everything was quickly fixed.
The staff was great, very nice and helpful. All of them were always smiling, and showing you they were pleased to help. Everything we needed was solved almost immediately.
The pool is great, breakfast really good.
This part of the beach is perfect, I believe the most beautiful part of the beach.
The hotel is very clean.
The only problem is the Mexican restaurant, which is poor. I could't eat my meal, but the waiter noticed and asked me to order something else with no charges. The champagne wasn't cool, and they forgot to refill our water many times.
When we check out, the receptionist said I could take the beach bag with me (a beautiful bag available in the master suite) with no charges, and they also didn't charged a water that we ordered. Simple things that make the difference.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kati G
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We're family of 4 (kids 7 and 4 years old). We spent a week at FAGCB hotel and had a wonderful time! We stayed at ll-inclusive Dreams next door last year and decided to try this one this year. What a difference! Rooms are clean and spacious, beautiful lobby, exceptional service. But above all - we liked The View. By the way, although someone here claimed that all rooms have ocean views - some rooms have better view than others. Upon check-in we received a room in the far west section of western tower - the view from that room was partially obstructed by hotel itself. Having paid for a Grand Club room we decided to go back to check-in and ask for another. Shortly after we were given a room on 8th floor with exceptional non-obstructed ocean view.
The beach is beautiful and well maintained. No problem finding a space under shade. Pools are quite large and clean. We didn't try the spa but I heard it is great.
As a Grand Club member we ate our breakfast on a deck next to the beach - it was great!
The snacks (h'oeuvres) during the day are OK and someone would call them fancy.
I would only recommend to have more vegetarian options. Anyway my kids and wife enjoyed them. We also were buying some snacks and ice cream in the XOXO store next door. There are plenty of restaurants in the walking distance. We tried both: restaurants at the hotel and outside. The ones at the hotel are apparently a bit pricey. We liked the buffet style Isla Contoy and sometimes have our lunch served at the pool. There are shopping malls in the walking distance from the hotel where you can buy a lot a souvenirs but if you want to save - you can jump on a bus and head to the Walmart. The kids room in this hotel is a joke.
Overall, we had a great vacation. We will definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book Grand Club rooms - well worth it!.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Wincent
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fiesta Americana Grand was probably a great hotel a decade back. Now it just looks dated. Views are good. But they have an ugly water fountain that's so darn loud that you cannot hear the ocean. We asked them about it and they said they turn it off at 11 pm even when the pool is empties out by 8 pm - they should just shut it off altogether. On top of it there's a lot of pool noise that doesn't help when you're trying to relax. For a 5 star luxury hotel the bar is much higher than this.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple