“Make sure to get one of the renovated rooms”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Houston, Texas
“Make sure to get one of the renovated rooms”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Nothing extraordinary... just the type of service you would expect when you are paying U$600 plus tax per night.

Pros:
- Most of the hotel has been remodeled after the 2010 hurricane.
- Turn down service, bottled water,
- Full or partial ocean view from all the rooms (no need to pay for the full ocean view)
- Within walking distance to shopping mall
- Nice breakfast buffet (usually included)
- Live music at the downstairs bar
- Gym has several cardio machines and a few dumbells and wight lifting machines.

Cons:
- Spa prices are overpriced (tip: you can walk across the street to Arenas spa and receive the same treatments for half the price...U$70 for a blow dry is crazy)
- They will charge you for anything and everything!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Negroycanche
Nora R, Executive offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. I am sorry to hear that your experience at the Spa was not what you would have hoped, please know that I will address this issue with our Spa director to ensure we always offer fair and competitive pricing.
I also appreciate your positive comments regarding our breakfast buffet and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have never been so spoiled, coddled, appreciated and welcomed in our travels. They have got customer service to a T. We stayed on the Club level which seemed to have almost constant food and drink available. It was nice to stay away from the crowds of people. It is very quiet and elegant on this floor. There is just a slight smell to the rugs, but I have a very sensitive nose, so may just be me. The hotel is beautiful and has been updated nicely: traditional English type decor with fresh flowers everywhere, bathroom (and all areas) are spotless and lovely decor. The pool is beautiful sapphire color. We rented a Cabana all week and we were thoroughly spoiled all day on the beach. Be sure and have dinner one night in a Casita on the beach-the tables glow! Romantic and so relaxing-food is great! They think of everything and check on you constantly, but in a friendly way-it never seems annoying. The food and drinks were high quality. The American dollar goes so far in Cancun, that we were continually shocked with pleasure at our bills. It isn't often we travel that we feel we get our moneys worth, so it was delightful to feel we got a value on top of the gorgeous white beach, turquoise water and perfect weather every day, plus outstanding service. Also, if you are wondering, we never saw one "spring breaker" and felt completely safe in the upscale "hotel zone". There is every big name designer and retail store, if you like to shop, right near the Ritz. Less then 4 hours direct from Washington DC...we will be back!

Room Tip: Absolutely get an oceanFRONT room. We had 8004 and loved it. They have balconies which we so enjoyed...
1 Thank Smoo_Review
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I can not express in words how excellent this hotel was to us. We went to the Ritz last week and upon arrival I had emailed them with some request.. We were celebrating and wanted to make our stay very special. The delivered!! Thank you to Amar who worked it out for us.. Hotel is beautifully decorated, rooms were spacious and staff was went above and beyond. We have stayed in Cancun multiple times (Live Aqua). Hotel is large and lots of room at the pool or on the beach even during spring break.. (although they did not allow spring breakers at the hotel, which is a no brainer) My only complaint is the pool umbrella 's and some pool furniture was broken. I would think that a hotel of that stature would have proper working equipment. Free internet in the club lounge on the first floor.. Buffet is very good but ALL food is expensive... but you are at the Ritz Carlton.. so splurge a bit :) It was close to a few restaurants... Excellent steak and lobster restaurant across the street... This is definitely a must! Food was excellent. If you decide to stay here.... Enjoy! Lastly.. We even saw a celebrity (George Foreman and his family) at the hotel and he was super kind although most people left them alone... (we did as well)

3 Thank Pjtime
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Ok there's a ton of reviews so I'll touch on a few things I saw in reviews when doing research on this place and then some things that might help people out that I didn't see mentioned:
First, any review that says the staff is not friendly and very well trained is a fake review, don't bother to read it. The staff here is top notch, well trained, very friendly and helpful.
Second, I'm not sure if it is because of TA or other comments but this place does act on suggestions. I remember seeing comments on here about lack of cushions on loungers around the pools (I really didn't think much about it). I can say, there are now cushions, I saw them unpack and place new cushions, and they are nice, around the south pool loungers. There are also cushions now on loungers on the north pool, they appear used, but still ok. Also, I saw someone complain because they were not given cold water upon returning from their morning walk. I can tell you that you are now handed a cold water at the door now!
Ok, now just some other comments: I see someone else has commented on the Ocean Front rooms, they are correct, they should really call them Ocean Facing rooms, maybe. The true Ocean Front rooms you see in the pictures, (closest to the beach) are mostly suites. Also, on the rooms, be careful when using pictures of rooms at this hotel, there are a lot of different 'shaped' rooms so what you get may not be what you 'pictured'. I don't want this to sound like an issue or a big deal, just something to be aware of when you see pictures or read room comments. I noticed this mostly with the rooms that are around the 'inside corners' of the hotel, those rooms are slightly bigger and (at least ours) had a bath tub, among other things.
I can say that one thing I didn't like about our room was there really wasn't a desk and desk chair to use when working on the tablet and keyboard. There was a makeup table and makeup stool type thing that we used but it wasn't that comfortable to use for any length of time. I'm not sure if this is a room variance thing or not.
Another thing about the rooms is all the talk about a non-private balcony. If you look at the pictures notice the level of the first row of rooms, they are on the third floor (really the second floor but anyway), they have a patio type balcony and the corner rooms patio type balcony is about as private as you can get here. There are also some rooms in the inside corners where the balcony is 'pushed back' into the building, those are more private. Anyway, I was looking around at hotels when walking on the beach and there are very few hotels with 'private' balconies, there are some condo's and timeshares but very few hotels. I think part of it is a building hurricane survival thing. (BTW: One of the employees told me this place was closed for 10 months after the last hurricane and all carpets, etc had to be replaced, what a mess.)
Tips: If you want to dollar cost average your booze bill there is a Oxxo (convenience store) just North on the main street, a very short walk (it's not on google or bing maps, at this point in time). The beach food is great and it worked well for us to order one thing at a time and share it, we had great multi-course meals that way. There are several good restaurants that are an easy walk, there are reviews on TA for them.
Overall, it was a great place to stay with really great service but I have to say next time I would probably go with a hotel that had a more panoramic ocean view, which most of the newer hotels in the area have.

Room Tip: As I said in the review, there is room variance here, not all the rooms are the same to keep that in...
2 Thank joyboy11
Saugatuck, Michigan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I travel a lot and have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world. The Ritz Carlton Cancun exceeded our expectations! The rooms have recently been updated and are beautiful. The lobby and common areas are well appointed with fresh flowers and plants. It was the service however that wowed us. The staff was friendly, helpful and always available. The spa is small, but very tranquil and has a great cold plunge pool. The staff make a point of knowing your name and by the end of our stay we felt this was our second home! We can't wait to stay as this wonderful resort again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We have been to many fantastic hotels over the years and the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun had the best service we have ever experienced from every single employee on the premises. Whoever trained them needs a raise. They genuinely want to be helpful and make your stay as pleasant as possible and they never pass the buck. If they don't know something they find out the answer. It matters to them and they love the tourists. We actually found that on the entire island. From the guys who lovingly placed 3 towels on each beach or pool chair and brought chilled washcloths bathed in jasmine scent to our chairs to the woman who brought popsicles poolside or the maids who put my rose in a bud vase (I had put it in a water glass) to the concierge who went out of his way to plan a day we would love off the beaten path, this place rocks in terms of service. Also, the physical property is lovely--great pool, spacious rooms with large balconies, and attention to detail at every turn. The entertainment last night in the bar with Barry Ivan White was the best we have ever experienced anywhere. Seriously this guy was fantastic--used to sing with the platters and he could definitely win America's Got Talent. The sushi bar had the best sushi we have ever tasted. Some of our friends raved at the Grille and we enjoyed it, the service was great but the food was simply very good, not great. The food at the pool bar was very good-- great mahi wrap and mexican chicken sandwich. The ONLY complaint we have is the coffee was never warm at breakfast - oddly the coffee machine in our room was excellent--just wanted more of it.

The spa is very small but perfectly equipped. The service was OUTSTANDING. Never before has an attendant knocked on the door asking to enter the steam room in order to bring chilled washcloths and add mint/jasmine oil to the steam. When I asked for a bottle of water later they opened it for me and wrapped it in a napkin. When I was resting on the lounge they came and covered me in a blanket and brought a hot neck roll. Angie was a FANTASTIC masseus. Whoever runs the spa also needs a raise.

When we departed, the front desk clerk walked around to shake our hands and hand us our bill and the guy who brought up our car asked if we would like chilled water in our car for the ride to the airport. Amazing!!!

Room Tip: We loved our third floor with a large balcony overlooking the pool--quiet but great view and bigger...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Terese C
Saugatuck, Michigan
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were not planning on staying here, but after a disastrous check in experience at the JW Marriott, we moved here at the last minute. Outstanding experience. Wonderful staff; always smiling and helpful without being intrusive. We were given a recently renovated room (7009), with ocean view; very nice. Food was excellent all the way around. Great breakfast buffet. Had dinner on the beach in a cabana; wonder experience, as was a quiet spaghetti room service dinner.

Coffee and cookies are upfront for you early risers.

Spa is wonderful. Pool is perfect as is the beach. There are ample pool chairs for the number of guests and the staff runs to help you set up the chairs and umbrellas. You are within walking distance of two small convenience stores.

To my knowledge there are no rooms that face the lagoon (contrary to other reviews here); you are either ocean view or oceanfront. Balconies are nice.

Bottom line: we are planning on returning in 2015.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms. We stayed here right after the opening in 1985, and they are now...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple