“Just kind of Ritzy”

Ranked #4 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
New York City, New York
“Just kind of Ritzy”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently started writing reviews and now I'm really getting into it. Very early this year I stayed here and at check-in I wasn't impressed. When I got to my room, I really wasn't impressed! The room had a decent view overlooking the pool and beach but was outdated. The minibar was more like a mini fridge that was just out in the open. I was so disappointed I took pictures of the cracks in the bathroom walls and the not so ritzy accommodations and I stormed to the front desk. I asked if I could leave the hotel without penalty if I found a omething else. I went to lunch and when I came back the front desk manager upgraded us to suite that was more the standard. The fresh floral arrangement in the room made me smile. The service was decent and the daily breakfast buffet was ok. I didn't think it was worth the price but the service in the restaurant itself was stellar. The beach was amazing. Rent the beach cabana at least once, it's worth it.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We just returned home from a wonderfully relaxing week spent at the Cancun Ritz

This hotel and it's amazing staff go out of their way to cater to each of their guests every whim

Rooms are comfortable and have an amazing view of the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea with it's amazing white soft sand. If you find your room a little on the warm side all you have to do is ask and an additional portable AC unit will be installed for your comfort, need extra towels or anything, simply dial the concierge and your needs will be met.

We were fortunate to stay in the club level where Rene, Odhemaris and the rest of the staff not only make you feel welcome, they down right make you feel at home, they know you by name and great you warmly every day.

This hotel caters to a different crowd, no loud music is played by the pool and noise levels are kept to a minimum. The ambiance of the hotel is conductive to complete relaxation.

The Kayantá spa is simply AMAZING, I was fortunate enough to get a couple of treatments and they both were simply wonderful, from the facilities to the personal valet assigned to look after you. This will be an experience I will remember for a very long time

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank M-Citi
Washington
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked a suite here for a last minute girls weekend to Cancun. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay, from check-in to check-out and everything inbetween. The service was fantastic!

Room: We were in a suite on the 7th floor, at the end of the hallway, with massive floor to cieling glass doors that opened to the beach. The view was spectacular. I don't believe that our room was considered an updated room. In fact the room was quite spartan, but very sizable. The 1.5 baths were perfect for a group of women all trying to get ready at one time. The only downsize was that the hotel next door had some loud outdoor parties that we could hear in our room.

Pool: The best thing about the pool is that it's open 24 hours. We avoided the pool except for late at night. During the day, families with loads of kids were overrunning the pool. It would be nice if they had a family pool and an adults only pool. Oh well, we just spend the entire time on the beach.

Beach: Great beach, great beach service. Every morning we came down and were able to get a prime beach location with chairs and umbrellas (even with the hotel nearly at capacity). We literally spent the entire weekend laying on this beach, no touring, no historical sites, just beach and tequila cocktails. Walter and his staff took great care of us on the beach!

Food: The food here was great, we never had a reason in three days to eat outside the hotel. The sushi bar off the lobby was fantastic (just a warning, in the evening they have a VERY loud band in there, it's hard to hear anything). We ate ceviche at almost every meal and were never disappointed. Room service was also good quality and quick. The staff were very accomodating, one night we were at the pool around 9:30pm and decided the wanted sushi and the outdoor bar/restaurant staff were able to accomodate our request.

Spa: We did massages in the spa, but wanted them out on the beach and they easily accomodated our group all at the same time in secluded pavilions out on the beach. The spa staff were great, so friendly and helpful. A unique touch was that they gave you a copy of your Mayan horoscope as a thank you gift when you left the spa. The spa itself was small, but has outdoor showers, indoor showes, a hot tub and plunge pool.

Things to note:
1. You don't get Marriott/Ritz Carlton points if you book through an online travel agent like Expedia. Not even for the nearly $2,000 we spent in food, drinks, and spa. I can understand that maybe we got a special rate on the room thru the travel agent, but to not honor points for money spent while at the resort was disappointing.
2. The hotel offered airport transferred were significantly more expensive than what you can get on your own. We paid $90 for a round trip VIP transfer just for our group of three (in a Suburban), vs. the hotel which charged $150+ for the same service.
3. If you are an American Express Platinum cardholder you get an upgrade on check-in and free wifi during your stay.
4. The wifi was great, it had reach out to the beach and in the lobby.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have an ocean view, regardless of the way the room is classified.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Melanie S
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First class service with free water in the room daily . I was upgraded to the concierge level. All the staff at the concierge level were outstanding. Nathaly did an excellent job. The food at the beach restaurant were delicious especially the tuna tartare, sashimi and catch of the day. The beach area is not cluttered and peaceful. The rooms are beautifulyl decorated with a french/italian luxurious touch in pastel shades cleaned twice daily.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Albertomiami
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Well my latest experience with Ritz Carlton /Marriott and this property is costing me $600 in airline cancellation fees, hours on the phone and heart-break (between preparing for the trip and cancelling it).. Apparently, this is what it costs when Marriott reservation agents are not properly trained and when hotel staff is completely inflexible.
If you are a Platinum Elite (Highest Level possible) with Marriott and Amex Platinum Card holder, you do not get any substantial benefits except free daily internet (Wooohooo!!!!).

We planned this trip because for once my terminally ill father is stable enough to be able to travel after being in and out of hospitals for the last 4 years. At time of booking, we asked and were told by the reservation agent (and reconfirmed by another agent) that we would have Club Level Access at that property (although actual room upgrade to that level was subject to availability).
We have stayed at this property a few times in the past (before the extended hospital stays) and the only reason we would come back is because of the Club Level - otherwise what we get for the price is not worth it (zero entertainment, lousy food except for the club level, a bit dated, etc.). A suite on the Club Level averages $1000 per night versus $500-$600 for a regular suite. So when we were told by the 2 reservation agents that as Platinum members we would at least have complimentary access to the Club, we decided on this property and booked the entire trip around it.

Thank God, I called the evening prior to arrival to check on wheelchair and upgrade availability ... I was told that not only they do not offer upgrades to the Club Level at a resort property but that they do not offer Club Level access (with the room being on a regular floor) either and that there was nothing they could do, regardless of how many times we had stayed with them before, of our platinum levels, etc. Customer Care was just as inflexible saying that the terms and conditions are what they are and that they were sorry that we were misinformed by their reservation agents ... They added 2,000 points to our account to apologize for their mistake, which for me has the same effect as their super-amazing-one-of-a kind-Platinum-level- -complimentary-daily-internet benefit. I spent most of the night trying to find a different hotel in Cancun that would meet our needs, but with only a few hours before check-in, the alternatives were not what we wanted or were very very expensive because of the last minute booking.

It does not make sense that the brand spends millions on marketing campaigns such as "ladies and gentlemen go over and above to surprise and delight guests with special memories" but let situations like this happen Well this memory will certainly be very special ... I will certainly not forget how they left a terminally ill 80-year old gentleman who was so looking forward to a wonderful vacation (probably his last) heart broken.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
20 Thank SMUSC75
Nora R, Executive office at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your email.
As a first priority we would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment that you and your family experienced regarding your recent room reservation. We assure you that your concerns will give us the opportunity to review and address any challenges or misunderstandings that may exist as well as helping us to improve our service in the future; we will investigate this issue with central reservations and customer care to avoid this misunderstanding and ensure future communications are accurate with all guests. Your willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.
The Ritz-Carlton is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we did not create this impression in this instance.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we look forward to welcoming your future return.
Mississippi
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I've stayed there for 4 nights this June. Empire style. Great view and just in the first line. Tours to historical sites from Hotel.Amazing Casitas Restaurant on the beach at night.One thing that I didn't like - heavy brass metal room keys that leave a nasty metal smell on your hands....:-)

Room Tip: All rooms ave sea view, ask for 2014 - the best balcony in the hotel:-) separated from others.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nataliya35
inverness,illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Hotel was a little older hotel but well maintained as a mater of fact they were doing some exterior painting and repair when we were there but they stayed out of the guests way. They kept the hotel very clean and free of any bad odors. The rooms were average size but very nice with fresh flowers and chocolates on a table when you 1st arrive in your room and a balcony with a beautiful ocean view . I can't say enough about the staff they were all great . The cocktail lounge was very nice with live music in the evenings. The rooms were a little pricy compared to some of the other hotels which we went and looked at and was not any better then some of them that were $100.00 or more less per night. Over all it was a nice relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family