“Great stay at the Westin Regina”

The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #65 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great stay at the Westin Regina”
Reviewed 3 November 2003

We had a wonderful stay (April 2003) - it was our first trip to Cancun.
We went with friends who have been several times (all at the Westin) and we agreed it was so good we are going again this April. Only a few small problems: Our air conditioning didn't always work - and our lights only worked if we had the key card in the "outlet" right inside the door. Strange... We were on the 6th floor/ocean side with wonderful view. This floor included breakfast and cocktails - which were great until the last 2 nights when they changed "cocktails" to wine and beer only - no warning. The beach and water were great!! The wait staff on the beach were very attentive and friendly - looking foward to seeing them again.Being in away from the "hotel area" wasn't a problem at all (and it was quiet!) - the bus ride is a bit scary sometimes but cheap and easy - bus stop right at the bottom of the hill. We took the bus in for dinner every night without any problems. Looking forward to another wonderful stay. Didn't hear much from the "timeshare" people at all.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 November 2003

I read the previous reviews and didn't really know what to expect. If you stay at the Westin, make sure you get a room (Royal Beach Club) on the "sixth floor". The rooms are average, bed is awesome! and the best deal is that you get a great view, FREE BREAKFAST (all you can eat, and it usually costs $15/per person). The breakfast is great. Plus with this room you get free drinks from 6-8pm. Any type of drink or beer you want... My wife and I paid $115 per night, for 8 nights and had a good time. Don't be fooled by the pictures of the Royal Beach club rooms, they have a picture of a "Presidential Sweet" on the sixth floor, which are room was not!!!!... but being on the sixth floor gives you the free drinks from 6-8pm and free nachos with GREAT CHEEZE! The service and staff is great I would rate a 10. The rooms with balcony on sixth floor would rate a 6. (the shower was fine, but the separate bathtub small and aged. The grounds and pool area are EXCELLENT... I would rate a 8.
My wife and I checked out other hotels and the westin pools are really all you need. and close to the beach. Some hotels you can't even see the beach from the pools it seems.

My only complaint about Cancun is the EXPENSIVE prices for food! its about 25%-30% more expensive than the United States in the tourist areas and nice areas in the strip. Make sure you go to Chitzin-itza its worth the 2 hour each way bus ride.

Take the buses around Cancun, its

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions regarding this hotel.
Overall, I recommend it if you are on a budget, and want the quality for your price. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ROYAL BEACH CLUB! and check out AAA. they have great rates if you are a member (Automobile Club).
that's the discount rate I used.

Have a good time. And if you are married don't forget your marriage license if traveling with your birth certificates for entry.... we had to tip immigration to get into the country..

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 3 November 2003

The Westin Regina is a PERFECT place to spend your vacation. It was very clean, the service was excellent, the staff warm and friendly. I found the best deal at AA Vactions. I would go with the Beach Club level of rooms. It includes a room with a balcony overlooking the ocean, breakfast that is included with the room. It is a full breakfast buffet daily and includes Happy Hour each evening. The rooms are huge. Traveling the last week of October was good because it is low season and there were never more than 4 or 5 people in the pool - unlike high season. I would recommend this resort and intend to go back next year. The bus runs in front of the resort and goes to the hotel zone or down town for $.70. The bus was clean and safe.

2 Thank Kristen F
Reviewed 31 October 2003

I spent my honeymoon at the Westin Regina and my husband and I were pleased with our stay. The staff was friendly, the beach/pool area was very nice and the location was ideal, quiet, yet not too far from the main strip. It is only $.60 to take the bus into the more "touristy" areas, and definitely worth it for the proximity to the airport and the peace and quiet. I was not bothered by anyone offering a time share.
The only time my phone rang was for a courtesy call. Gregorio, the bellman, was very friendly and helpful. Also, the wait staff attended to our every desire. I would reccommend the all inclusive package, as it would be pricy to pay for all of your food/drinks.

• Stayed October 2003
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 October 2003

Well me and my wife did some internet surfing for deals on vacations.
We can across a four day trip to Cancun at the Westin Regina. We did read some reviews on Travel Advisor and we were extremely worried after reading the mixed reviews. Our trip started with the timeshare sharks at the aiport, however, after giving them five minutes of our time we were on our way. Westin Regina is the closest resort to the airport so the trip was not too bad. We arrived at the resort and it was exactly as some reviewers had written. Open air lobby (which we didn't mind) and friendly staff to show us to our room. We did ask for a room on the club floor (6th I think?) and we upgraded for no additional charge. Our view of the room was the lagoon (still beautiful). The first day on our trip we just hung around the hotel with a drink in hand. It was very relaxing. Like a Corona commerical (like one reviewer commented). Our second day we went to Cozomel on a snorking tour-then shopped the rest of the day. I highly recommend the Cozomel trip. It was alot of fun.
Make sure you book an organized trip or you will be searching for one in Cozomel. Book half day snorking or diving so you have time to shop and enjoy Cozomel. Anyways the rest of the days we just laid around the hotel and occasionally took the bus to shopping centers and resturants.
We ate at Loretta Joe's as one reviewer recommended (very good). We really enjoyed our trip. BUT I must agree with some people that the food is not up to par. Save your money on the all inclusive deal. I brought back some Montazoomas Revenege (five days worth). next time we will probably stay at a different resort, but it just becasue we like to adventure different places.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
telenurse85
Reviewed 16 October 2003

Had a 7 night stay (Sept 21-28, 2003)...

First, they seem to have "lost" our reservations (8 hours after we got
on the first plane and a couple of thousand miles from home).
Fortunately, this was fairly quickly cleared up but put a bad forenote
to our vacation experience. While I was still worried about that
situation I was given an enormous amount of paperwork to sign for my
room. One of these forms stated that they would keep our luggage if we
did not pay any "expenses" incurred. I would never have agreed to that
but I had prepaid for the suite in advance and it was nonrefundable. At
the end of our stay we were given miscellaneous "hotel charges" that we
had not preauthorized. We were told it was for the maid service, etc.
We were also told that we would not be ALLOWED to leave the hotel if
these charges were not paid. ( I thought that was illegal in ANY
country). So, of course we did pay. I would never stay there again.
Last year I stayed at the Cancun Palace and had a wonderful time. There were NO hidden charges, the place was fabulous, everything worked and the staff was very pleasant and efficicient and PROFESSIONAL.
At the Westin Regina:
At the onset we were besieged by the time share sharks who bothered us
everytime we went through the lobby and even called our room!!! If I
had known they were attempting to sell a timeshare I never would have
stayed in this hotel even at a good price! And they continued harassing
us during the entire stay AFTER we told them that we were not
interested. The suite was nice, 2 rooms, kitchenette and 2 baths at a
very good price (Club side). The air conditioning worked well and there
was a balcony, unfortunately it faced the extremely noisy street which
is hardly condusive to relaxation. However, not what I'd expect from
the Westin chain. The much touted jacuzzi on the balcony did not work.
Several other couples staying there told us that their jacuzzi's were
inoperable as well and that we were lucky that our air conditioning
worked. We immediately booked tours from their "Explora" tours company
in the lobby. I felt that the best and most reputable place to book
would be at the hotel. However, this was not so. The handbook I had
picked up at the desk gave certain prices for the tours (which were a
little pricey but again I felt that we were safer booking through the
hotel). However, there was a second photocopied sheet of paper on which
some of the tours were priced even higher. This one was dated 2003. We
were to get a 20% discount per the card they had given us on our
arrival (for being "guests" there). We did show this card to the tour
salesman. The tours were paid for and we took our tickets. Later I
noticed that the prices that we had been charged were $10 to $20 USD
(PER TICKET!!!) higher. The tour salesman would not refund the
difference stating that these were "updated" prices and did reflect the
discount. However, he still had the same brochures by his desk. We also
had some problems changing money at the desk. Twice we found that we
had been shortchanged a significant amount when changing dollars for
pesos at the hotel desk. If we had not immediately stood there and
counted our pesos and checked the exchange rate we would have been left
short. The food was ok (Actually better at the outside bar area than
one of the restaurants) but far too expensive. For the breakfast buffet
alone it was $15 per person. Lunch and dinner were horribly overpriced.
It was much better to go catch a bus and go further into the hotel
zone. There were many good restaurants there, The Laguna Grill,
Captains Cove, etc... So, if you do not have the kitchenette, shop and
cook food yourself (which we did) it is too expensive to eat at the
hotel and you do not recieve value for the money spent. Overall, the
hotel was a disappointment... we checked several other hotels while
staying there and they were all nicer...the Crown Paradise is
particularly nice and we could have stayed all inclusive for very
little more than we spent (it would have been well worth it) Go
somewhere else!!!

4 Thank telenurse85
Reviewed 18 September 2003

Husband and I have been at other resorts in Cancun, we were there Aug 30, 2003 thru Sept 6,2003, we were told the hotel was at 44% full. We were bored to death, probably will not stay there again, but we will be back to Cancun, love that clear blue water!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#15 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort

Been to The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!