“A mostly unbiased review of Westin Regina & Cancun”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Ann Arbor MI
Reviewed 8 December 2003

It's all about expectations, isn't it? If you're used to the Ritz Carlton, the Westin Regina will not meet your standards. If you're used to Howard Johnson, the WR will be a dream. I've stayed in both, and I think WR is a better-than-decent hotel. We went for a long weekend and it was perfect: beautiful water, great tequila, quick trip from the airport.Pros: -- 2nd hotel along the strip, which means you spend 20 minutes driving to/from the airport vs. an hour+. This also means it's farther away from all the action. --The hotel is pretty and well appointed, but not magnificent. --Staff is very friendly. Try to speak a little spanish and they're even friendlier. --The beach is a good size and well maintained. Others along the strip were not. -- There are chaise lounges poolside and beachside, with the big thatch "umbrellas" on the beach. --It's impossible to get lost in Cancun and the entire strip is set up to keep you worry-free. --There is plenty to do if you're willing to pay for it. --Mango daquiri's, which are hard to come by in the Midwest. Need I say more? --The water is amazingly beautiful.The following list is of things that are cons to me. Someone else might find them the perfect, it just depends on what you look for in a vacation.Cons: --If Disneyland designed a strip mall, Cancun would be it. It's possibly the biggest, brightest strip mall, but in the end it's still a strip mall. Go to Cancun to relax, enjoy water sports, or spend time with friends/family, but don't go to Cancun to feel as though you've been to the real Mexico.--Who would have thought that you couldn't find Mexican food in Mexico? This elaborates on Con #1. Seriously, the food in all the restaurants we solicited was more "mexican light" than traditional Mexican. The restaurant owners know who they're catering to, and they know that most Americans can't/won't eat hot foods. I had to keep asking for chilis to be served with my meals.--On the weekends, any restful beachside slumber was interupted by noisy wave runners passing by every 15 minutes hoping for paying customers. Ditto on parasail boats. Truly irriatating after awhile.--Don't expect cheap prices. Everything is priced with the US dollar in mind.Final note: another post questined why there isn't any carpet in any of the rooms. I found why: We decided to turn off the airconditioning and open the ocean-side windows to hear the surf while falling asleep. We awoke to a room so humid that my hair was damp, the mirrors fogged and the floor so wet that we splashed when we walked. And I don't mean puddles here and there....the entire floor was covered in a half inch of water. Oops. Good thing there wasn't any carpet.In summary, the water is truly beautiful and the people gracious and accomodating. If nothing else, Cancun is a great introduction to Mexico that left me convinced I wanted to see more of the country. I hope you will feel the same.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 4 December 2003

Our stay was from Nov.27 thru the 30th. My Girlfriend and I are both Starwood Members and this is one reason we choose the hotel. I read alot of bad things about this place and was a bit concerned before I left. I must say we had a great trip Hotel staff at check in very helpful and only 1Timeshare shark and I told her no in Spanish and never heard any thing else. Stayed in Room 1641Great Oceanfront room with high ceilings and nice balcony. Royal Beach club lounge was closed so they asked us to take the Full buffet Free of charge each day. Good deal!! And for the happy hour to goto the Lobby bar for free drinks. I must say that the Prices they charge at this hotel for food are out of this world 2 Burgers and 2 Diet Cokes 36.00 USDa bit high for burgers.
and you have no Resturantsthat you can walk to either. There is a small marketabout 3 Minutes away from the hotel Prices are a bit high but much cheaper then the hotel. i.e Beer, Cokes, Water and other goodies for your room.We will not return to Cancun as it is to much like Las Vegas with a beach I go to Mexico for the warmth of the people not for the people to just have me hand over my wallet and let them take what they want I feel 40 Bucks for a taxi from the airport to the Hotel is a bit high for a 8 minute ride.Anyways I must say the hotel was nice and cleanand can understand why people like Cancun butif you go do the A.I.
thing and I think you will notfeel as badly riped off. One last thing If you go youmust find the Rest. Lorito Joes crab house the food is GREAT AND THE SERVICE JUST AS GOOD!!!! Look for the 20% off coupon in the Miami HereldCancun edt.

5  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 24 November 2003

we loved our patio room of this architectual dream, ocean just 50 feet from our very nice room, with heavenly bed..., barrel ceiling, refrig, nice pools, for morning and afternoon sun times, excellent Italian restaurant on premise, happy hour each night at Columns bar near lobby with tasty mango margaritas ( 6-7 pm ), and tapas. friendly staff. we found it hard to leave for anything, but the frequent buses go to town every 5 min, and the hotel has a bus to it's sister hotel, Sheraton, 3 times a day. wireless internet in hotel too. we can't wait to return to the turquoise warm ocean, and beautiful Legoretta designed hotel, WOW...

3  Thank garymiller
Forest Hills, NY
Reviewed 11 November 2003

Imust say, after reading some of the BAD reviews, about the Westin, I must say............. my husband and I booked our trip to Cancun - Nov 2-6 2003. I started to give my self stress Over NOTHING!!!!!! The hotel is very nice, kept spotlessly clean. The staff, from Bar, Front Desk, Housekeeping were all very polite, and friendly. ANd yes everyone does speak English for the most part, so don't be fooled. Our room had an Ocean View, ground floor and the pool was steps away.
I saw one BUG, NO Biggie, in NYC, you see things much bigger then BUGS.

As for the Hotel. It was a tad to conservative for us, but the great part, is the BUS to Downtown is just steps from the Hotel! at 6 Cents in Peso's it's fast, and safe. Note the turn-around for the Bus is 1/2 Block away for the Westin. We booked a tour for the Mayan Ruins in the Hotel with Olympus, Which is Liberty Travel's counterpart. They push the breakfast on you. We opted for free cofee. Very well run, Miguel our tour guide, loved his job, and the buffett at the Mayaland resort was fair. But it's worth it to see the Ruins!

All in all 4 days 3 night s is not enough time. The Food is decent all around, if you take the all--inclusive - it's the better deal, for drinks, and add the $8.50 u.s. for the Schrimp at dinner. Do not eat the Hamburger. Gross!!!!!!!!!!!! Tip who you felt took care of you!!!
ANd as for the Hawkers in the airport, or Time share sales people....
Easy Just say. you already own one. WOuld you waste your time. Be a wise traveler and you too will get a great Bang for the US Buck at the Westin Regina, Cancun.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newton, MA
Reviewed 3 November 2003

We had a wonderful stay (April 2003) - it was our first trip to Cancun.
We went with friends who have been several times (all at the Westin) and we agreed it was so good we are going again this April. Only a few small problems: Our air conditioning didn't always work - and our lights only worked if we had the key card in the "outlet" right inside the door. Strange... We were on the 6th floor/ocean side with wonderful view. This floor included breakfast and cocktails - which were great until the last 2 nights when they changed "cocktails" to wine and beer only - no warning. The beach and water were great!! The wait staff on the beach were very attentive and friendly - looking foward to seeing them again.Being in away from the "hotel area" wasn't a problem at all (and it was quiet!) - the bus ride is a bit scary sometimes but cheap and easy - bus stop right at the bottom of the hill. We took the bus in for dinner every night without any problems. Looking forward to another wonderful stay. Didn't hear much from the "timeshare" people at all.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 November 2003

I read the previous reviews and didn't really know what to expect. If you stay at the Westin, make sure you get a room (Royal Beach Club) on the "sixth floor". The rooms are average, bed is awesome! and the best deal is that you get a great view, FREE BREAKFAST (all you can eat, and it usually costs $15/per person). The breakfast is great. Plus with this room you get free drinks from 6-8pm. Any type of drink or beer you want... My wife and I paid $115 per night, for 8 nights and had a good time. Don't be fooled by the pictures of the Royal Beach club rooms, they have a picture of a "Presidential Sweet" on the sixth floor, which are room was not!!!!... but being on the sixth floor gives you the free drinks from 6-8pm and free nachos with GREAT CHEEZE! The service and staff is great I would rate a 10. The rooms with balcony on sixth floor would rate a 6. (the shower was fine, but the separate bathtub small and aged. The grounds and pool area are EXCELLENT... I would rate a 8.
My wife and I checked out other hotels and the westin pools are really all you need. and close to the beach. Some hotels you can't even see the beach from the pools it seems.

My only complaint about Cancun is the EXPENSIVE prices for food! its about 25%-30% more expensive than the United States in the tourist areas and nice areas in the strip. Make sure you go to Chitzin-itza its worth the 2 hour each way bus ride.

Take the buses around Cancun, its

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions regarding this hotel.
Overall, I recommend it if you are on a budget, and want the quality for your price. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ROYAL BEACH CLUB! and check out AAA. they have great rates if you are a member (Automobile Club).
that's the discount rate I used.

Have a good time. And if you are married don't forget your marriage license if traveling with your birth certificates for entry.... we had to tip immigration to get into the country..

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 November 2003

The Westin Regina is a PERFECT place to spend your vacation. It was very clean, the service was excellent, the staff warm and friendly. I found the best deal at AA Vactions. I would go with the Beach Club level of rooms. It includes a room with a balcony overlooking the ocean, breakfast that is included with the room. It is a full breakfast buffet daily and includes Happy Hour each evening. The rooms are huge. Traveling the last week of October was good because it is low season and there were never more than 4 or 5 people in the pool - unlike high season. I would recommend this resort and intend to go back next year. The bus runs in front of the resort and goes to the hotel zone or down town for $.70. The bus was clean and safe.

2  Thank Kristen F