I was very excited to come and stay at the Westin Resort & Spa. My family had stayed here about 18 years ago and I was excited to return.
The Westin is the first stop from the airport down the strip of Cancun hotels, so the bus ride is only about 15 minutes from the airport. When I got to the hotel we were given a room with 2 double beds (although we had booked for a king bed). We had to switch rooms the following day for the king bed. That was a bit irritating, but we could deal with that. The most disappointing thing was that we came for a beach and pool vacation and the pools are not heated. The water temperature was freezing cold. The only hot jacuzzi was in the spa in which you are charged a fee to use and there are separate female and male jacuzzi tubs, so if you come with your partner, you cannot be in it together. The cold pools were a big disappointment to me. Nobody was in the pools despite the place being "sold out" for the holiday weekend.
The rooms are clean and the shower in the room was very nice although small. We had booked at the Royal Beach Club. Utilizing the included lounge for Breakfast from 6:30AM to 11:30AM was a big feature (included in our stay). The beach was very windy this time of year (end of November) and the ocean was very wavy with a big under current (red flags on the beach). Take caution if you go into the water. My significant other is a strong swimmer and even he was knocked down a few times by the waves.
Because the hotel is the first stop off the strip, you have to take the bus or a taxi to get to the malls or many restaurants. You can use $1 american per person per trip if you do not want to convert your money to pesos. The exchange rate is about 10-13 pesos to $1 currently.
Additionally, take note that the lagoon side of the Westin was currently under construction when we were present. Many years ago it used to be a nice pool with a waterfall. Now I'm not sure what is being worked on but it seems like more of a patio than a pool off of the lagoon.
All in all, it would have been a much better stay if the pools had been heated. It was still a nice time, but I would not recommend this resort or Cancun in general. It is a bit run down and seems like it really was "the place to be" about 20 years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lounge endlessly at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun. Our our glorious resort in Cancun, Mexico features private beaches and four outdoor pools. We offer a luxurious Heavenly Spa by Westin™ as well as opportunities to enjoy many water sports. Tennis, golf, a top-notch gym, and fascinating local tours and day trips are all available to you at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Prestigia, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Resort And Spa Cancun
- Westin Resort & Spa Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Westin Hotel Cancun
- Westin Cancun
- The Westin Resort Spa Cancun
- Cancun Westin