“Nice beach, but average experience”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Washington, DC
“Nice beach, but average experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is my fourth Club Med visit, but my first visit to the Club Med Cancun Yucatan.

I have to give Club Med credit for being one of the first beach resorts in Cancun, and being first gave it a prime beach location. And we had a wonderful view from our room, overlooking the water.

But the whole experience was just average. The facility looks a little tired - lots of little things need repair or upgrades. Stair treads, for example - I must have tripped four or five times over the course of the week because of loose edges or unmarked grade changes). And the air conditioning in our room never got very cool, which meant we didn't sleep very well. Given how sweltering and humid it was outside, good a/c is important. There aren't enough beach shelters for the number of people at the resort; we learned by the second day that we need to send someone out no later than 7am to reserve a shelter and lounge chairs for the day. There don't seem to be as many activities here as at other Club Meds; there are plenty of things for kids (and there are kids EVERYWHERE here), but not so much for adults, other than aerobics, tennis, and snorkeling. Speaking of snorkeling, the snorkeling area has no easy entry/exit area from the beach; you have to crawl over some very sharp rocks to get into the water. On exiting, I slipped on a rock and cut up my shins and one of my hands (there's an infirmary there, so I was able to get patched up). Couldn't there be some sort of dock or platform to avoid this risk?

On the plus side, the beach is very nice, and the water idyllic - smooth sandy bottom, gentle waves. And the spa was the best I've experienced at a Club Med, with a beautiful facility and skilled masseuse.

In all, though, the positives and negatives probably canceled each other out - but I would rather have a beach experience that is consistently good.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for a room with a water view, and it was really worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank YetAnotherViajera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Was there 2 weeks ago, it was my 7th time in Cancun but my first Club med experience. The rooms are VERY standard, I have to say they were clean but really basic. The food was very average, I can't say aweful but really not what I expected. I ate the exact same meals all week with a few variables. I do not recommend this place, I've told all my friends not to go there. I can see the appeal if you travel with children as the GO'S really take their jobs seriously but with only one pool (filled with chldren), one Bar (smells like spring break) and one buffet ... there are many places that are much better than this. very dissapointed. We tried to get change in smaller bills for tipping for 3 days we were never able to, our room was so humid the floors would get really slippery, some people were able to get dehumidifiers to get rid of the moisture smell, don't go here, its expensive for nothing!

Room Tip: near beach at least... the beach is very nice!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MariannaTravels
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2014

First off, a shout out to the wonderful Nathalie at Margarita Travel for helping us arrange our plans, she was always responsive immediately to questions and we had the perfect room for our family. Second, a shout out to the GOs … thanks to the fabulous tennis team, you guys made our son's vacation so memorable and we loved our chances to get to know you all. May, you were lovely as well and our daughter loved how well you handled such a huge group of teens in the car wash, keeping them out of trouble, yet being "cool" … you work as hard as anyone in the club! Aziz, you run a fantastic village, and your warmth was easy to see .. loved meeting all the Moroccans and learning so much about your country … hope to visit there one day. Thanks also to everyone else I didn't mention, it was a great week. The beach and waters of this location are amazing, the only difficulty was finding enough time to sleep!!!! The mornings are so peaceful on the beach, the days filled with activities, the nights filled with fun and new friends. This place is perfect for all ages, if you just want to lay on the beach, it's about as beautiful as anywhere. If you want to be active, there are SOOOO many things to do and the GOs will happily help you learn and play. Every night is fun as well. Be sure to invite the GOs to eat with you, you are missing out on a huge cultural experience if you don't. We had so many laughs and learned so much about the world eating with different GOs at lunch and dinner. I can't say enough, my 15 year old daughter and 14 year old son were both thrilled with everything as were we. Absolutely the perfect vacation!!!

3 Thank Lara P
Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just back from spring break with my 14 year old daughter. Have to thank Aziz and all the GO team for everything from arrival through departure. I've never met a team anywhere that seems like they are having fun regardless of the activity or time of day. I rarely saw my 14 year old as she was with the teens in the Car Wash group from breakfast through dinner, and again after dinner doing beach activities, snorkel, watersports, trapeze, or waterski, as well as just hanging with all her new friends from around the world. And for me, the clear blue waters of Cancun and the white sand beaches were welcoming for swim,waterski, snorkel and kayak. The waterski team was patient as they got me up on the wakeboard, woo hoo. Also, up on the trapeze, try it for sure. Was disappointed I couldn't get into a windsurfing lesson as they could only accomodate 6 GM's per day, don't know why, and there were all the Type A crazies in line 30 mins before signup each day, same people that were at out dawn taking all the shade chairs on the beach and pool by layout out their towels and things only to rarely use them, if at all, during the day. Had the chance to have a few lunches with GO team members, who each have amazing stories, couldn't be more gracious and wonderful people. Be prepared for the strong sun, and make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen as the prices in the shop are more than 2x what you would pay at home. Plenty to keep you busy both day and night, or just lounge if you like. Also, enjoyed the pool boys bringing drinks. I'd give the food a B+, nothing exceptional, but solid nonetheless. The baked goods and desserts are all amazing as you would expect. The drinks are plentiful, although largely disappointing, and don't be fooled by the tag line, premium liquors, it's all lightly poured and shelf no name brands, if you ask for a higher end liquor, it's for an extra fee. Unlike other clubs we've been to, this is more spanish language speaking, than others for us which have been more french. The room AC struggles to keep up with the humidity, but any occasion for us to visit the front desk was met with smiles and valiant attempts to meet our needs. They do offer wifi for sale, although at the price of club med, should be included at this point, and the bandwidth is limited, so expect slow and intermittent service. Make sure you get to see both the Michael Jackson show and the Music Factory shows put on by the very talented GO team and choreographed by Mina from Japan, herself an incredible dancer. By far the biggest and best Club Med we've been to yet.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a lot of walking if you aren't close by the pool and main restaurant areas.
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Greg S
Mount Kisco, New York
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We just got back from Club Med Cancun, and I can't say enough good things about this place! This is the perfect vacation for people like us. We are an active couple with two children 8 and 5. There was so much to do for all of us. The girls loved the mini club! Each day, they were given priority times for trapeze, snorkeling, sailing, tennis, and pool time. They met kids their age and got a chance to have a little independence from us. Mini club leaders were so engaging and fun that the kids loved it. They were all excellent, but Emilio, aka "Prince Chicken Nugget" and Adrianna were certainly kid favorites. At the same time, we could sign them in or out throughout the day as we and they chose. We got time to take daily tennis lessons, my wife did Zumba, I played beach volleyball, and we had plenty of time on the beach. Food was excellent and so was the service. The whole family came back with great memories. We had the perfect mix of together time and alone time. Can't wait to take another Club Med vacation!

1 Thank Seth S
Pinehurst, NC
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The beach was nice, beautiful clear water that you expect in Cancun. Located in a cove, the water is rather calm. Having not been to Club Med in 30 years, I was surprised when they didn't put my wallet in a safe, and take me to a simple room without a key on the door! I was a little disappointed that Club Med has changed so much, it is really very much like any other all inclusive resort. My teenage son had a good time, there were many activities. The food was very very good at times, but not really great. The room was good - the air conditioning did not work well at all, so it was very warm in the room, the staff could not fix it. The beds were tiny, and not especially comfortable. I had two very good massages at the spa, it's pretty expensive, though. Overall a good trip, but I would probably go somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: There is a more upscale section called Jade, but I do not see any advantage to staying there
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Service = Top Notch!
Quality = Top Notch!
Location = Top Notch!

Why go anywhere else? Well.....

After A short 15 minute drive (at the very most) from the airport (we were picked up by the Hotel Shuttle. A very pleasant experience!) ...we arrived at the main Lobby after driving through the resort gate and then through the construction zone. Not an issue for us at all but first impression was....."ok this is not what I was expecting!" lol The only time we saw this area was when we were arriving and then when we left.

Located at one end or "the beginning of Cancun beach" - the resort is dated a little but overall in great condition.

If you want peace and tranquility at least part-time while in Paradise - then Club Med Cancun is the place!

The water was so calm for 7 days and then the waves and wind picked up during our last 2 days. This also coincided with our flight being cancelled due to the huge storm up the Eastern Seaboard.
We were delighted with the extended stay as we moved from our room to the room next door due to our room having been booked by other guests already. We were already packed but that wasn’t a problem at all! Thankfully it was only a few short steps to the room next door.

So many thanks to all the GO’s, GE’s etc. From the Chef de Village who was so pleasant, always smiling, always shook our hands and asked "HOW IS EVERYTHING" to the New Manager of Leisure from Monacco who was great. A big shout out to Bola the entertainment manager, Danny the Bar Manager, Manuel and Javier in the DJ/Audio services, Fernando in Mini-Club who was a great dinner and disco companion! Jessica in restaurants is a sweetheart and was always there to make sure we were happy and helped us with the "Tie-Dye" shirt that everyone wanted to steal for Brazilian night! Lol That was one of the best nights for sure! The drummers and the dancers were fantastic! Again "Parabens" (Congrats) to Bola for a job well done!
Eli in restaurants was also a sweetheart. We spoke with her many times. All these GO’s really wanted to get to know us as well as tell us all about their lives. Although they were all fantastic, some opened up about how much they missed their families back home.

Front Desk/Check in staff were also wonderful. The Manager was very helpful and with Anna’s help they checked on our cancellation and provided flight info and the extra night at no charge.
Of course we can’t remember everyone who we met but Rodrigo who did the water aerobics and Zumba was so motivating and awesome to talk with as well.
We had dinner with many GO’s over the 8-9 days we were there. Another shout out to Gerry from Mexico and Amira from Morocco who were great to talk with.

Oh and Jose Louis! In Charge of Sports! He was always smiling and had time to talk with us whenever we bumped into him!
Noemi in the Gift Shop was also very sweet and helpful!

Erasmo the bartender(not a GO but a GE perhaps?)....Was a great guy and excellent bartender. I never once waited at the bar when he was working. It was his birthday on our last day. However there was one bartender who was not very nice. I believe he was Jose and was moved from the main bar to the smaller “Towel building Bar”. We noticed he was still “scowly” when we saw him there! But for all the dozen’s of staff we came in contact with he was the only one with a bad attitude.

And the food!!!! It was amazing!!! We met the Head Chef and always saw him in the main buffet smiling and welcoming us. A big congratulations to him for a fantastic job he is doing with the food at this resort. Loved the Mexican night and The Italian night especially! We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts and at one other Club Med but this CM in Cancun is the best we have ever experienced!

We hope to be back soon!!!!

Ciao, Muchas Gracias y Merci Beaucoup!!!!

Room Tip: The ones closer to the beach would have been nice but we were very happy with our room which was in...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple