- Exceptional resort for families with young children.
- Would not go there if we were just a couple with no children.
- The Mini Club is unbelievable...it exceeded all of our expectations. Great fun for kids and a great opportunity for parents to have some free time.
WHAT WE LOVED
1) The Mini Club: The Mini Club is exceptional. This is really what made our trip our best family vacation. The Mini Club team was unbelievable. A very special thank you to Lara, the manager, and her team: Adriana, Hoshi, Lorena, Marie-Noel, and Xavier. I thought I would be nervous leaving my 4 year old daugther with strangers. As soon as you meet them, you are put at ease. They were all so inviting, caring and attentive. You could see that they truly cared about the kids. I was impressed to learn that some of them were previously teachers, had degrees in education. They are all full of energy and smiling all the time! After meeting the Mini Club team, I had no worries at all...not even when they took the kids kayaking in the ocean! Our daughter had the most amazing time.
The club is very well organized. Our (almost daily) routine was to wake up around 7:30, get our daughter ready, have breakfast. We would drop her off at the Mini Club at 9:00. (As soon as she saw the entry gate, she would take off running to get there.) When you drop off your child, you sign her in. They confirm the languages she speaks and if she has any allergies (our daugther is allergic to cashews & raw egg). They give her a bracelet to wear. The Mini Club is open from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. But it is very flexible and you can drop them off and pick them up as you please. They have a variety of activities including: beach, kayaking, sailing (for 6 years & older), pool, trampoline & trapeze, arts & crafts. In addition, on a couple days at 4:30 pm, we had some family activities together - a treasure hunt, making tie-dye shirts. You can return your child again at 7 pm for dinner (which allows you to have a child-free meal...ah, such a rare opportunity for parents!). Then at 8 pm, there is another family activity (pinata party, Mini Club show in which the kids put on a production of the Wizard of Oz, Mini Club talent show, etc.). On Tuesdays & Thursdays, they have the pyjama club. On these nights, they will look after your child from 9 pm to 1 am. There is a 250 peso charge for this (approx. $25 USD). This gives you a "night off" (also a rare opportunity for parents...so well worth the $25. Our daughter was begging to go each time.)
I should also mention that I did see them gently discipling the kids too when it was appropriate...it was not a free for all where anything goes. They had rules and had to play nicely with the others.
2) The food / restaurants:The principal restaurant is a buffet which has a different theme each night (Mexican, French, Middle Eastern, Asian sushi, etc.). Everyday, however, you can get great guacamole and pico. Very yummy! They also have an endless selection of breads and desserts. In addition, there are two restaurants which require a reservation (this can be done by calling the front desk). The steak restaurant was average. The Mexican restaurant was very good. In addition, the attire is very casual...everything from shorts and t-shirt to skirts / dresses (but no one ever had on cocktail dresses).
3) The beach, pool and activities: Unlike some other resorts, there were always plenty of beach chairs and pool chairs. You do not have to get there early to reserve a place. The beach was pristine and there was very little seaweed in the water. You could walk out a good bit before the water got very deep, no jelly fish or other icky things at the beach. In addition, because Club Med is at the tip of the peninsula, it serves as a barrier and breaks the waves. We went for a walk one day and noticed that the waves were much bigger by the other hotels. This can be fun, but with a 4 year old, we appreciated the calmer waves. We also took advantage of the unlimited snorkeling, sailing, kayaking which is included in the price.
6) The GOs: The staff are encouraged to mingle with the guests. They will chat with you, dine with you (if you want them to), play trivia games with you, etc. It was great fun getting to meet the different GOs. Muchos gracias to all the Mini Club GOs, Bruno (our favourite bartender and originally from Montreal), Bola (the craziest entertainment manager - PUNTO!...play the coffee games and you will understand) and everyone else there!
7) General comments: The resort layout is well thought out. Everything is nearby...you do not have to take a shuttle or walk very far to get from your room to the beach, the pool, the Mini Club, the area for kayaking, etc.
Everything was well organized. From the pick up at the airport, the activities at the resort, the Mini Club, and our return to the airport at the end. No worries, no waiting.
Almost no bugs near the pool, the beach, anywhere.
WHAT WE LIKED LESS
1) The room: We were able to put towels over a railing to block the view between our daughter's bed and ours. This was good and helpful for her to fall asleep. However, I was a bit concerned that she would forget that there was a step (since her bed was down two steps) and would fall if she got up in the night to use the bathroom. The room was dark and damp. Because it is so humid in Cancun, the room was always humid as well. The bed was comfortable but I always felt like it was a bit humid too.
2) The steak restaurant - the buffet food and Mexican restaurant were so good that the steak restaurant was not worth it. The food there was fine, but the buffet offered more variety and yummier food.
1) If you have a child, bring a small backpack to contain his or her clothes, sun screen, and other items. You can drop this off at the Mini Club each day with your child.
2) Label all of your child's items.
3) When packing, select everything you plan to bring. Then put 1/3 of the clothes back and do not bring them. You will spend most of your time in your bathing suit. Bring at least two.
4) Bring beach and pool toys that you can leave there (donate to the Mini Club). This allows you to have fun with them and frees up some space for bringing home souvenirs.
5) Bring extra large ziploc bags for your wet clothes. This worked out especially well on the last day of our trip...we had a half day before leaving and were able to put our wet clothes in a large ziploc before placing them in our suitcase.
6) Each night has a theme. If you want to participate and wear a theme based outfit, contact the resort to find out the themes so that you can pack accordingly.
We will definitely be returning to Club Med Cancun or another Club Med!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of Mexico in this environmentally friendly all-inclusive family resort nestled on a pristine stretch of world-famous Mayan Riviera beach. Travel to Club Med Cancun Yucatan with your family to enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation amidst the sumptuous amenities, natural beauty and a relaxing atmosphere that make this unique family resort as breathtaking as it is adventurous. Uncover a fresh perspective on the charm of the Mexican culture and experience a vacation filled with enhancements for the entire family. There's so much about this newly redesigned resort that will touch your family for years to come: refined accommodations, excursions* to Mayan archeological sites, a new Club Med Spa by Comfort Zone*, 3 restaurants including 1 fine Mexican dining venue and 1 serving worldwide specialties, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Cancun Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Cancun Yucatan Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Club Med
- Club Med Cancun Resort